2018 Matt Nichols

10 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

I'm sick of hearing about the winning record... I know that seems outrageous, and I'll take heat for it.. I don't care.  I've watched his play closely the last two seasons, and since the second half of last year, it's dropped off.  Looking at who they beat last year and this year, Nichols has only beat 2 teams with a winning record in the last calendar year.  Saskatchewan in the Banjo Bowl last year and Edmonton a few weeks later.  After that, he only beat BC in a game where he threw for 172 yds and 0 TDs.   For me, it's what have you done for me lately... and while he has turned in some wins, it's my honest belief that Streveler would have won those games too.

I'll stop harping on it for now and see what happens on Saturday afternoon.

You honestly believe that Streveler, right now, is a better QB than Nichols?  

And lately, Nichols has a winning record but Streveler does not. So?

Just now, JCon said:

You honestly believe that Streveler, right now, is a better QB than Nichols?  

And lately, Nichols has a winning record but Streveler does not. So?

I believe that Streveler brings a whole other dynamic to the offence.  With his mobility, I think it makes it tougher for opposing defences to key in on certain players.  I believe he has a better arm. I think with his scrambling ability, it opens up plays downfield, which with Nichols, it certainly does not.  Do I think he has the pedigree and experience of Nichols?  Of course not... what rookie would?   But do I believe that Streveler gives us a better chance to win?  Yes, I actually do.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Well, that's pretty absurd and presumably an overreaction based solely on Friday's loss. A loss in which there was ample blame to go around the locker room, not just the QB.

I have never once said that I place sole blame on Matt Nichols for the Bombers loss on Friday.  The defence was terrible, and took penalties that extended drives and allowed Ottawa to keep drives going that they eventually went to score on.   However... I fully expected it to be a high scoring game, and one of those 'last team with the ball wins' sort of games.  In the parking lot before, I predicted a 44-41 win for the Bombers.   Our offence however (which many were saying the week before was the best and most exciting offence in the league) did very little to move the ball on most drives.  I know you win & lose as a team, but our leader wasn't inspiring with his play, which I argue has been taking place for the better part of a year now.

In 2014, the Stamps who had Drew Tate at QB decided to run with Bo Levi and went on to win the Grey Cup.   Their coaches seemed to know they had something and weren't scared to make a switch (If I remember correctly, this was brought on by an injury to Tate, but, Tate wasn't the unquestioned leader afterwards, even though he was winning).

Those coaches... John Hugnagel & Dave Dickenson.  Two former very successful QBs.

There is the whole reading the defense thingy to consider.  Coming in and running few plays on a limited playbook works good in the short term.  Sooner or later you have to be able to stand in there and run the offense. Sandlot will not get it done once all the teams have film on you. I think this is a great young qb and I think he will be pushing for a starting spot by next years training camp.  Right now, no way I would start him.  Its still Nichols team.  I wouldn't however let Nichols play all the downs, especially when he is sucking. Good way to light a fire under Matt's ass is sit him down when he is not performing to the level the team expects. 

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

There is the whole reading the defense thingy to consider.  Coming in and running few plays on a limited playbook works good in the short term.  Sooner or later you have to be able to stand in there and run the offense. Sandlot will not get it done once all the teams have film on you. I think this is a great young qb and I think he will be pushing for a starting spot by next years training camp.  Right now, no way I would start him.  Its still Nichols team.  I wouldn't however let Nichols play all the downs, especially when he is sucking. Good way to light a fire under Matt's ass is sit him down when he is not performing to the level the team expects. 

Yer just scared to play against Streveler 😃

20 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

In 2014, the Stamps who had Drew Tate at QB decided to run with Bo Levi and went on to win the Grey Cup.   Their coaches seemed to know they had something and weren't scared to make a switch (If I remember correctly, this was brought on by an injury to Tate, but, Tate wasn't the unquestioned leader afterwards, even though he was winning).

Those coaches... John Hugnagel & Dave Dickenson.  Two former very successful QBs.

2014 was Mitchell's third year with the team. He had a very good handle on the play book before he ever got to play.  The Stamps were 15-3 that year with a hell of a defense.  They didn't need the young qb to have to out gun the opposition in the same way you need to this year

Edited by Ripper

17 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

I have never once said that I place sole blame on Matt Nichols for the Bombers loss on Friday.  The defence was terrible, and took penalties that extended drives and allowed Ottawa to keep drives going that they eventually went to score on.   However... I fully expected it to be a high scoring game, and one of those 'last team with the ball wins' sort of games.  In the parking lot before, I predicted a 44-41 win for the Bombers.   Our offence however (which many were saying the week before was the best and most exciting offence in the league) did very little to move the ball on most drives.  I know you win & lose as a team, but our leader wasn't inspiring with his play, which I argue has been taking place for the better part of a year now.

BLM spent 2012 and 2013 in Calgary, starting 3 games due to injury in 2013. Then going into 2014, he was made the starter. Not the same thing.

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

There is the whole reading the defense thingy to consider. 

I watched Matt all game Friday.  I would argue he's not getting through his reads.  He seemed locked into one side of the field all game.

I'll take that as a valid point, as Streveler doesn't even have a ton of time in the film room yet... but sometimes, a guy just has it.   I'm not suggesting we start Streveler this week, or even next.  But get him into some games, and get him some more looks.   The last thing I want is to get into late September, and we're having this same conversation saying 'man, we're not moving the ball very well' .   It's better to try something mid season then when we get down to the nitty gritty a month from now.

3 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

I watched Matt all game Friday.  I would argue he's not getting through his reads.  He seemed locked into one side of the field all game.

I'll take that as a valid point, as Streveler doesn't even have a ton of time in the film room yet... but sometimes, a guy just has it.   I'm not suggesting we start Streveler this week, or even next.  But get him into some games, and get him some more looks.   The last thing I want is to get into late September, and we're having this same conversation saying 'man, we're not moving the ball very well' .   It's better to try something mid season then when we get down to the nitty gritty a month from now.

I agree with you here. If Nichols sucks this week, I'd give Schreveler some reps, especially if game is out of hand.  Being the starter is a different animal. From here on out, I'd be trying to get him in there from time to time.  Nothing ruins a young qb quicker than playing too soon.  How many qb's has Montreal thrown in there in the last 5 years.  Some of them looked pretty good, but the common theme was none of them were ready to be a starter. 

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I agree with you here. If Nichols sucks this week, I'd give Schreveler some reps, especially if game is out of hand.  Being the starter is a different animal. From here on out, I'd be trying to get him in there from time to time.  Nothing ruins a young qb quicker than playing too soon.  How many qb's has Montreal thrown in there in the last 5 years.  Some of them looked pretty good, but the common theme was none of them were ready to be a starter. 

the difference between Montreal and the 2018 Bombers.  We have arguably the best OLine in the league, where Montreal has very much had the worst OLine.   That's a pretty good advantage for a young QB to have!  As much as people ran Willy out of town here, you have to also look at who he was playing behind.

Just now, trueBlue83 said:

the difference between Montreal and the 2018 Bombers.  We have arguably the best OLine in the league, where Montreal has very much had the worst OLine.   That's a pretty good advantage for a young QB to have!  As much as people ran Willy out of town here, you have to also look at who he was playing behind.

Don't take this the wrong way but if you would have run the ball as much then as you do now, Willy probably wouldn't have got killed as much as he did.  Best thing you can do for a Oline is don't ask them to block very long.  Dump passes and running plays makes it pretty dam hard to get to the qb.  Once Harris got shut down however last week, the pressure came pretty quick, 4 sacks

4 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Don't take this the wrong way but if you would have run the ball as much then as you do now, Willy probably wouldn't have got killed as much as he did.  Best thing you can do for a Oline is don't ask them to block very long.  Dump passes and running plays makes it pretty dam hard to get to the qb.  Once Harris got shut down however last week, the pressure came pretty quick, 4 sacks

but don't you think opposing defences have started to key in on the short plays knowing that Nichols isn't much of a deep threat?  even Harris looked dejected a few times getting up after getting dump passes when there were 3 people right in his vicinity, and likely receivers open downfield??

3 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

but don't you think opposing defences have started to key in on the short plays knowing that Nichols isn't much of a deep threat?  even Harris looked dejected a few times getting up after getting dump passes when there were 3 people right in his vicinity, and likely receivers open downfield??

That is what is happening in my opinion. I also think Nichols should surely be better at reading defenses that the rookie, and is more likely at this point to be able to run some different plays.  If they ever decide to call some.  You need to go to a little more of the 2017 offense your ran, more balance

Edited by Ripper

39 minutes ago, Ripper said:

you just inadvertently described Bridges time there in Rider land lol

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

I'm sick of hearing about the winning record... I know that seems outrageous, and I'll take heat for it.. I don't care.  I've watched his play closely the last two seasons, and since the second half of last year, it's dropped off.  Looking at who they beat last year and this year, Nichols has only beat 2 teams with a winning record in the last calendar year.  Saskatchewan in the Banjo Bowl last year and Edmonton a few weeks later.  After that, he only beat BC in a game where he threw for 172 yds and 0 TDs.   For me, it's what have you done for me lately... and while he has turned in some wins, it's my honest belief that Streveler would have won those games too.

I'll stop harping on it for now and see what happens on Saturday afternoon.

Sorry to make you sick (No I’m not. Who am I trying to kid). By golly you can think or hope whatever you like and rationalize it. 

These are not the days of Clements Hufnagel. Though I am glad Streveler stepped in and performed we have had others do the same (Elliott?) and win player of the week but the coach got whacked anyway. Or that’s how I remember it. The young fella Streveler has a long way to go to be involved in a qb controversy. At least a controversy that goof ball Suitor is trying to embellish. As usual, most things Suitor says are garbage. 

Edited by Rod Black

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

That is what is happening in my opinion. I also think Nichols should surely be better at reading defenses that the rookie, and is more likely at this point to be able to run some different plays.  If they ever decide to call some.  You need to go to a little more of the 2017 offense your ran, more balance

Man Ripper, you may be green but you know what you're talking about. Anyone else know why LaPo suddenly decided to stop running their hurry-up offense? It worked really well last year and they started to shy away from it after the defense started taking "injuries" in the Banjo Bowl.