2018 Matt Nichols

19 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Heard Nichols' interview from today after practice and he was asked about the boos and his post-game comments. His response was along the lines of "i didnt really mean it, ive been booed before, i dont know why it got so blown out of proportion". A little bit of backtracking. He sure sounded like he meant it at the time.

Pffttt...Nichols comments are the reason the booing got blown out of proportion to begin with, before he publicly sulked the only other person talking about it was Suitor, attempting to whip up a QB controversy.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

6 hours ago, bb1 said:

Guy is human...took it personally. To me it means he cares and wants to be his best. So what? I agree this was blown out of proportion cause most fans were booing cause they wanted to see more of Streveler and were disappointed in MOS decision when the game was out of hand. We all know Nichols is our No.1 .The backup Qb is always the favourite when the game is a blowout. Nothing new here.

Maybe MOS needs to be reminded of the times when opposing coaches have put in a backup QB when a game was a blowout only to have that team catch fire and come roaring back to beat us. It very well could have happened for us except now we'll never know because O'Shea decided to pull Streveller and reinsert Nichols. Ridiculous decision, IMO.

6 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Really, there’s nothing more to it than that. 

Except of course that he is a player and not the coach. Reminds me of these Walmart brats that throw temper tantrums and instead of being disciplined get coddled by the parent who is more interested in being the kid's pal than their parent. Nichols should have been told to STFU and quit whining but "that's not the way that O'Shea rolls". Makes me sick.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

Except of course that he is a player and not the coach. Reminds me of these Walmart brats that throw temper tantrums and instead of being disciplined get coddled by the parent who is more interested in being the kid's pal than their parent. Nichols should have been told to STFU and quit whining but "that's not the way that O'Shea rolls". Makes me sick.

Awwwww muffin 

3 hours ago, J5V said:

Maybe MOS needs to be reminded of the times when opposing coaches have put in a backup QB when a game was a blowout only to have that team catch fire and come roaring back to beat us. It very well could have happened for us except now we'll never know because O'Shea decided to pull Streveller and reinsert Nichols. Ridiculous decision, IMO.

3 hours ago, J5V said:

Coach's comments... makes sense.

“If you know me, I would never believe anything is out of reach,” he said. “When you go a 1:40 and score two touchdowns with an onside kick in between (in the miracle win over Montreal last summer) anything is possible. And when you’re working on making sure the team’s mindset is right for the entire season, not just the last four minutes of the game, you’re working on something you need to work on and that’s the way we think collectively, those decisions are made.

“There’s a message to the team and if what I say and what I do are two different things, it’s going to be pretty hard to follow me.”

- Mike O'Shea

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

27 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Coach's comments... makes sense.

So he doesn't want to hurt the feelings of Nichols which in the end risks him on getting injured for the rest of the season,    limits the development of Streveler ,   completely de-moralize the rest of the offense ,   anger the fans,   completely kills any chance of making the rest of the team playing hard for the rest of the game which would then possibly carry over to the next week.....

Based on his comments he's loyal to a fault which at times can hurt the team.   I understand standing by your man... but he was hurt... the game was over....  he already had an excuse build in for Streveler to play the rest of the game (injury)... no reason....

my argument is that Streveler should have gone in well before Nichols got injured.  He only had 156 yds passing after the 3rd quarter, while Harris was probably more than double that at that point.... why not change it up!?  6- 2 and outs, no rhythm at all.... give things a different look.   If O'Shea is going to get better as a coach, he can't be scared to change things up once in a while!

4 hours ago, J5V said:

Lol, that's an interesting take on the situation.

When you're loyal to a fault and really want to be just one of the guys (that's the way I see Mike) it's difficult to turn on the discipline switch...I know the players luv him, but I would rather have a guy who can lay it on the line when players need it (within reason) and produce a winner...I doubt this mollycoddling will ever produce a Cup and I doubt that O'Shea will ever change his ways..soooooo we drift in obscurity....Something has to change,or 'the one and dun's' will just be a regular habit of this team... 

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

When you're loyal to a fault and really want to be just one of the guys (that's the way I see Mike) it's difficult to turn on the discipline switch...I know the players luv him, but I would rather have a guy who can lay it on the line when players need it (within reason) and produce a winner...I doubt this mollycoddling will ever produce a Cup and I doubt that O'Shea will ever change his ways..soooooo we drift in obscurity....Something has to change,or 'the one and dun's' will just be a regular habit of this team... 

How does O'Shea approach differ from Trestman's? 

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

Agree 100%. For the most part its the authoritarians(ie:a-holes) that produce the results and championships. If you look at the "nice guy" coaches in both the CFL and NFL, their track record is not good and they don't have a long shelf life. Players coach=mediocrity.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

How does O'Shea approach differ from Trestman's? 

I would say Trestman is much less opposed to change(cutting OL Brandon Washington, trading Shawn Lemon, benching Franklin) when guys are not producing, and is open to bringing in guys who are not "great guys" but great football players (interest in Duron Carter).

7 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I would say Trestman is much less opposed to change(cutting OL Brandon Washington, trading Shawn Lemon, benching Franklin) when guys are not producing, and is open to bringing in guys who are not "great guys" but great football players (interest in Duron Carter).

Unless I missed Carter's signing in TO, Trestman's interest in him seems to have been overstated.

4 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Elite teams go after players that can help them win. (Lol)

Teams that want to win and are willing to take chances to do so win more often than teams that sit on their hands are cry about what everyone else is doing.  Trestman knows Carter is dam good, he is worth the risk

39 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The fact that every team that's had him has released him seems to indicate otherwise. 

He just has a short shelf life.  He will be well behaved in Toronto for a while.  He has to prove he isn't the guy everyone says he is in Sask.  Toronto will get some good football out of him.  The BS will start in training camp next year