2018 Matt Nichols

Ive been noticing a lot more panic and happy feet in Nichols' game this year. Its almost like he's been Willy'd or Collaros'd and is hearing footsteps. Its like when his first read isnt there he's panicking. Didnt notice any of that in previous years. Im thinking his non-contact leg injury in camp is mind-****ing him. Might be throwing his timing off when it comes to the long ball too. Anyone else noticing a difference?? Its concerning.

Nichols has never really had a good long ball, including previous years. Most of the time he comes up short, and when he is long enough, he just doesn't have the accuracy of a Mike Reilly, Trevor Harris, or BLM.

Not sure if he is having mental issues though - it could equally be that the teams in the league just have his number now and/or have Lapo's number and know how his offence can be controlled.

Bomber O has a huge weakness in that they can't go vertical down the field the way the good teams can.

Just now, AKAChip said:

What would Nichols have to do to make you criticize him even once?

Have a losing record for one? I mean, he's so far down the list of problems with this football team that I find this thread hyperbolic and stupid. And that's being polite. 

Im fine with criticizing Matt and don't think he's Joe Montana but get real. 

Just now, White Out said:

Have a losing record for one? I mean, he's so far down the list of problems with this football team that I find this thread hyperbolic and stupid. And that's being polite. 

Wins are a team stat. This Blue Bomber team is as solid up and down as we’ve seen in over a decade. A QB on this team merely has to not blow games to win. The defence has been a problem today, and has had some rough weeks but has actually been much improved from last year and has been good since the first Hamilton game up until tonight. If you think a team can have sustainable success with a QB who can’t hit open guys and throws for under 200 yards more often than he throws for over 300 yards, you’re dreaming. So he’s better than Drew Willy and Justin Goltz and Joey Elliott and even Buck  Pierce. So what? We’ve been so jaded to expect garbage from the QB position that we’re blinded by any guy who is even passable. This is a team that has a real chance at success this year with a QB who folds under pressure. 

6 minutes ago, White Out said:

This thread wasnt started to bash him, it was to have a discussion on why he looks off this year. Im not the only one that has noticed something different going on and its not something good. His deep ball has been off, he's been panicking in the pocket, and has been getting major happy feet when his first read isnt there. Weve been winning on the back of Harris and feasting on s**tty teams. Do you honestly think they way Nichols is playing that we can keep up with the Mitchell's and the Reilly's of the league?? Not a chance.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

6 minutes ago, White Out said:

Imagine being unable to talk about a problem because you have another one.

1 hour ago, White Out said:

So he could lose 15 in a row before you’d look at his play?

Nichols mostly average/mediocre play extends back to the second half of last season.  Plenty of average games last year.  He was clearly outplayed by Rielly in last year's playoff game getting a good chunk of his passing yards in the final 11 minutes when the Bombers were down by 23 points to Edmonton (playing a prevent defense).

Nichols has not had one excellent game this year.  If the Bombers had an elite defense, they would have a shot at a Grey Cup with an average QB ie. 1990 Bomber team with Tom Burgess.  However, this game is yet another example that is not the case.  The defense is mediocre against everyone but the worst teams and will likely continue to be for the rest of the season with several weak spots (Fogg and Loffler) and a defensive coordinator who will not be fired until the end of the season...so Nichols will have to improve substantially for this team to have a shot at winning a playoff game. 

Edited by blueandgoldguy

3 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Nichols mostly average/mediocre play extends back to the second half of last season.  Plenty of average games last year.  He was clearly outplayed by Rielly in last year's playoff game getting a good chunk of his passing yards in the final 11 minutes when the Bombers were down by 23 points to Edmonton (playing a prevent defense).

Nichols has not had one excellent game this year.  If the Bombers had an elite defense, they would have a shot at a Grey Cup with an average QB ie. 1990 Bomber team with Tom Burgess.  However, this game is yet another example that is not the case.  The defense is mediocre against everyone but the worst teams and will likely continue to be for the rest of the season with several weak spots (Fogg and Loffler) and a defensive coordinator who will not be fired until the end of the season...so Nichols will have to improve substantially for this team to have a shot at participating in a playoff game. 

Fixed it for you.

4 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Nichols has not had one excellent game this year.  If the Bombers had an elite defense, they would have a shot at a Grey Cup with an average QB ie. 1990 Bomber team with Tom Burgess.  However, this game is yet another example that is not the case.  The defense is mediocre against everyone but the worst teams and will likely continue to be for the rest of the season with several weak spots (Fogg and Loffler) and a defensive coordinator who will not be fired until the end of the season...so Nichols will have to improve substantially for this team to have a shot at winning a playoff game. 

Only two games vs the East left, and one of those vs Ottawa.  Need to step up big time to even make the playoffs.  Probably have to win at least 4 if not 5.

Ill say this... He looks scared to get hit. Its almost like everytime he feels pressure he starts to get scared.. I personally think he's injury prone and he knows it. Our oline is pretty good and he doesn't get hit much but when he does he looks pissed and struggles to get up. Perhaps all his injuries have caught up to him and mentally hes scared because physically hes broken

36 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Realistically 2 weeks from now we're .500 with a chance to really turn it around on the back half. 

Has Nichols been objectively bad this year? Yes.

Do I believe Nichols and the team can turn it around and be above .500 to end the year? Yes

I have absolute faith this team is making the playoffs this year 

And I have absolute faith in this team NOT making the playoffs. Look at their schedule for the balance of the year. They will be hard pressed to win more than 3 or 4 games over that stretch. Don't see how you can say they can turn it around given what we have seen so far. They have not beat any of the top teams - not even close and the meat of their schedule starts next week in Calgary where they will get absolutely killed.

2 minutes ago, BBRT said:

And I have absolute faith in this team NOT making the playoffs. Look at their schedule for the balance of the year. They will be hard pressed to win more than 3 or 4 games over that stretch. Don't see how you can say they can turn it around given what we have seen so far. They have not beat any of the top teams - not even close and the meat of their schedule starts next week in Calgary where they will get absolutely killed.

Who has Calgary beat? 

I'm hopeful we can win 5 more games after presumed losses the next 2 weeks against Calgary and Sasky.  Beat Saskatchewan in the Banjo Bowl, beat Montreal at home, beat Edmonton in one of the two road games, beat Saskatchewan at home, and beat Calgary at home (probably clinched first place by then so hopefully they only play their starters for the first half).