Stamps - Blacks Thursday

BigBlue

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

More concerning is Stamps attendance which is in free fall. Great team but the crowds are getting smaller & smaller.... Fans just don't want to go to games at the 58 year old McMahon Stadium. Plus losing the last 2 Grey Cups has pissed a lot of people off here & have decided that they don't want to go to games anymore. Those 2 losses has really hurt the bottom line. We need a new stadium here but no one wants to build one. The Flames who own the Stamps only care about their team. They want a new $600 million arena for their hockey team & the City & the Flames are back negotiating but it does not include a new stadium.  Meanwhile the team keep winning but fans stay away.  The scary part is someday the Stamps will fall on hard times & when that happens the stadium will be a ghost town. 

This actually is pretty accurate, I got season tickets to the stamps this year after not having them for a while, and the front office was practically on their knees begging me to buy them, throwing in all kinds of discounts and offers for some pretty decent seats. Apparently they are absolutely floored by the number of season tickets not renewed over the off season. They are definitely already beginning to feel the hurt. Not a good sign when they are hosting the cup next year...

Personally I think the underlying issue is Calgary is somehow a huge NFL city, and a good chunk of people here consider the CFL bush league compared to the NFL. And until they fix that image in the city it will continue to suffer a bit in this city.

23 minutes ago, raklar said:

Personally I think the underlying issue is Calgary is somehow a huge NFL city, and a good chunk of people here consider the CFL bush league compared to the NFL. And until they fix that image in the city it will continue to suffer a bit in this city.

Winnipeg has the same problem,  lots of people I know only care about the NFL.      What has helped generate more interest is that they are making the night out much more then only watching football. 

1 hour ago, raklar said:

This actually is pretty accurate, I got season tickets to the stamps this year after not having them for a while, and the front office was practically on their knees begging me to buy them, throwing in all kinds of discounts and offers for some pretty decent seats. Apparently they are absolutely floored by the number of season tickets not renewed over the off season. They are definitely already beginning to feel the hurt. Not a good sign when they are hosting the cup next year...

As well, the young up and comer football fans like my son (14) share that sentiment. Not good if you're trying to attract the younger generation.  Make a CFL video game already.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

At this point I think we can safely say that Harris is a fair weather qb and with shitty weather last night surprise surprise he didn't do well. Learned a bit too much from Burris I guess.

The only plays that Harris really made last night came after the rain started.

Problem is we have willingly allowed ourselves to be swallowed up by American marketing and culture which in turn has diminished Canadian culture.  Canadians have now been programmed to believe that in the U.S. everything is bigger, badder and better.  Look in the IGF end-zone, a giant sign proclaiming Budweiser to be the world's greatest beer, anyone with half a brain knows that message is patently false, but sooner or later people begin to believe the messages they're beat over the head with daily, that's how marketing works.....just turn off your brain and follow.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Part of the problem with Calgary is that there is absolutely no sense of community, Flames have shitty support too and if not for everyone throwing the brand new jersey over their suit when the work day is done cause they gotta use the free tickets they were given by one company or the other the dome would be half empty for them every night too. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Part of the problem with Calgary is that there is absolutely no sense of community, Flames have shitty support too and if not for everyone throwing the brand new jersey over their suit when the work day is done cause they gotta use the free tickets they were given by one company or the other the dome would be half empty for them every night too. 

Is it the boom and bust oil business? It seems to me there are a lot of people living in Calgary who are just there for oil money and not emotionally invested.