Stamps - Blacks Thursday

BigBlue

18 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Is it the boom and bust oil business? It seems to me there are a lot of people living in Calgary who are just there for oil money and not emotionally invested.

That's a big part of it for sure, but it's also a city that is addicted to work in an unhealthy way. There's just this expectation that you work all the bloody time, too few people actually stop to enjoy themselves and their lives. 

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That's a big part of it for sure, but it's also a city that is addicted to work in an unhealthy way. There's just this expectation that you work all the bloody time, too few people actually stop to enjoy themselves and their lives. 

For sure the two things are mixed together.  I do not want to be the person to tell people how to live their lives but there are very few jobs where the business ends when you leave the job. No one needs to work themselves to death. Calgary has such beautiful outdoors so close, it is sad to imagine people chaining themselves to their desks even if sports is not their thing. 

If you look back at our big comeback against the Als last year..on Nichols long scramble to set up Harris at the 2 Hebert tried the exact same move..launched himself to make a head shot with his helmet at about the 5 yard line..but missed..allowing Nivhols the extra 3 yards or so that made the difference..but his intent was solely to di a head shot instead of wrapping him up and tackling 

4 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Is it the boom and bust oil business? It seems to me there are a lot of people living in Calgary who are just there for oil money and not emotionally invested.

I think there's a few factors at play.

1) Fans are peeved at not sealing the deal. Too many losses in the cup or WSF is not a good thing. 

2) Schedule change has alot of people away for June games. Calgary is very much a load up the trailer / camper / rv and hit the mountains or BC kind of city the minute May long hits. School ended for most on Wednesday and others yesterday... traffic on the roads is already lighter with people trying to get away early

3) Stampede --- alot of people try to get away until after Stampede is over. The city is a gong show for those 2 weeks and you either love it or hate it.

4) Less income to play with due to the downtown. Alot of industries took 10 to 20 % haircuts overnight back in 2015/2016 and are just starting to recover.

Flames don't have an issue... season tickets have a waiting list and companies are still being them. 

You will see attendance pickup later in the summer and for the rivalry games. 

15 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Well

The suspension is good for the league, good for us Bombers who don't play that way, and good for player safety in general ... 2 or 3 more suspensions and the attempts to injure will stop .... I don't want goon football .... the message needs to go out from the league by action and by parlaying what they want to the refs as well ... we especially need quick flags on anything remotely resembling roughing the passer ... we as a top priority must protect the QBs by rules and by reff

Edited by BigBlue

16 hours ago, raklar said:

This actually is pretty accurate, I got season tickets to the stamps this year after not having them for a while, and the front office was practically on their knees begging me to buy them, throwing in all kinds of discounts and offers for some pretty decent seats. Apparently they are absolutely floored by the number of season tickets not renewed over the off season. They are definitely already beginning to feel the hurt. Not a good sign when they are hosting the cup next year...

Personally I think the underlying issue is Calgary is somehow a huge NFL city, and a good chunk of people here consider the CFL bush league compared to the NFL. And until they fix that image in the city it will continue to suffer a bit in this city.

Losing back to back Grey Cups to clearly inferior teams has turned a lot of fans off of the Stamps here. They win so many regular season games & are the most arrogant team in the CFL. They bully, intimidate & run up the score on opponents during the regular season but then when it counts in the Grey Cup they choke.

It's hard to believe (when you're a Bomber Fan & after suffering thru some ghastly seasons) but winning 15 games means nothing to football fans here. Winning their last game of the year does. The Stamps have won more games than any other team in the CFL the past 5 seasons but to fans in Calgary they are nothing but choke artists.  Fans are saying they have better things to do. I do notice that this season less & less people care. The Stamps are barely on the sports radar here anymore.  I kind of figured that would happen.