Addison Richards Retires

Noeller

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

given the similarities between Richards and Etienne how do we know that Etienne wasn't Kyle Walters influence?

I think the biggest difference is that Richards went, more or less, where he was projected... Jade was a 3rd or 4th round projection that went in the first round...

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I think the biggest difference is that Richards went, more or less, where he was projected... Jade was a 3rd or 4th round projection that went in the first round...

a guy I met here in Kelowna who played in the CIS told me that it was a big surprise to many that Etienne got drafted at all, let alone 4th overall.  He said he couldn't stop laughing at Winnipeg for that one.  He played against both Richards and Etienne and he said he never saw a softer receiver than Jade.

30 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

a guy I met here in Kelowna who played in the CIS told me that it was a big surprise to many that Etienne got drafted at all, let alone 4th overall.  He said he couldn't stop laughing at Winnipeg for that one.  He played against both Richards and Etienne and he said he never saw a softer receiver than Jade.

So what does that say about the DBs Etienne played against?  Those are the guys who let that laughably soft receiver lead CanWest in TD's, yards per catch, yards per game and total receiving yards.

If this guy and his teammates couldn't stop Jade from putting up over 100 yards per game, who's the real punchline?

5 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

As long as Dressler is out, Coates gets the roster spot to hold for Medlock.  JFG is doing his job so unless injured I doubt we will see any of Wolitarsky this year.

Best to break guys in slowly I agree....but I thought we might get a glimpse....I see Wally of lotus land has got a look at their green young un' Vandervoort...Caught a couple nice passes but can't remember who they were playing...Didn't keep him in long and I like that idea better than never seeing the guy at all...Did it prove much???Mostly to Vandervoort I guess...he certainly looks like he belongs and a nice confidence builder...Different approach...different strokes for different folks;)

Edited by Stickem

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Best to break guys in slowly I agree....but I thought we might get a glimpse....I see Wally of lotus land has got a look at their green young un' Vandervoort...Caught a couple nice passes but can't remember who they were playing...Didn't keep him in long and I like that idea better than never seeing the guy at all...Did it prove much???Mostly to Vandervoort I guess...he certainly looks like he belongs and a nice confidence builder...Different approach...different strokes for different folks;)

1 catch for 25 yards against winnipeg

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

1 catch for 25 yards against winnipeg

Thanx....I knew I seen it somewhere ...now it all comes back...Made me think at the time that we might have better off taking him NO. 1 overall....I hope Drew W. is a clone...they look very similar...One catch proves nothing but it's a start...

Just now, Stickem said:

Thanx....I knew I seen it somewhere ...now it all comes back...Made me think at the time that we might have better off taking him NO. 1 overall....I hope Drew W. is a clone...they look very similar...One catch proves nothing but it's a start...

I felt the same (picking him at #1) With Kohlert gone, the only real NI option we had to start was JFG. And while he's been doing a decent job, even last year, I had 0 faith Richards could stay healthy (which he didn't) and not really sure what we had in Coates. IMHO that was our biggest area of need going into the draft, especially when we already had Westerman, Thomas and Corney as our NI DL. but c'est la vie.  And yeah that sample size is extremely little from Vandervoort but it equals what Richards did in 2 full seasons with double the production

14 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Tbh im more saddened by not having room for intzandt and butcher to develop then richards finally going. 

according to my research Intzandt is on Ottawa's PR... but Butcher is a free agent... so if the team was interested in developing him, he's available...

16 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I felt the same (picking him at #1) With Kohlert gone, the only real NI option we had to start was JFG. And while he's been doing a decent job, even last year, I had 0 faith Richards could stay healthy (which he didn't) and not really sure what we had in Coates. IMHO that was our biggest area of need going into the draft, especially when we already had Westerman, Thomas and Corney as our NI DL. but c'est la vie.  And yeah that sample size is extremely little from Vandervoort but it equals what Richards did in 2 full seasons with double the production

Decent job? JFG catches everything that's thrown his way. He's on pace for almost 600 yards. But yes having another capable NI reciever would be perfered. I hope DW can be that guy. In not mad at who we picked at number one. We have some depth at DL I'm ok with developing and easing him into the line up. Obviously they see starter potential in him one day and we have the players in place right now that it doesn't have to be this season. 

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

17 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I don't think they ever would have taken a receiver at #1. Kyle Walters is very adamant that his top picks get used on linemen. If he feels they are the backbone of a teams NI depth then he's not exactly wrong to stock the cupboards there. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

I don't think they ever would have taken a receiver at #1. Kyle Walters is very adamant that his top picks get used on linemen. If he feels they are the backbone of a teams NI depth then he's not exactly wrong to stock the cupboards there. 

that coupled with how our offense is built.  we so rarely use the 5th receiver as a viable threat that drafting someone to play that role so high would be a waste of an asset to them.. hard not to agree with the theory as JFG  wasn't a first rounder and hes doing very well in the role.. Kholert was also decent enough until his hands went south..   Normand who slots in there on occasion for blocking as well has done a great job in his spot duty with blocking and catching/running..

I think that while Walters, O'shea and Lapo are involved with this team, that we will be doing exactly like you said, drafting linemen with the occasional reach for an LB or DB if they truly feel they can be a difference maker but when we are drafting starting safeties in the third round, that need to make that reach is lessened. 

It's really a refreshing atmosphere that has been brought about by our current GM. We are finally, finally, addressing our O-Line for the long term and not just game-to-game as it seemed in the past. Even a move such as getting Neufeld, who was heavily panned for 'issues', has shown to be a wise long-term move that allows us to move the pieces around. 

And now, they're planning more long term for the D-Line. It's never a bad decision to stock those trenches.

19 hours ago, mbrg said:

So what does that say about the DBs Etienne played against?  Those are the guys who let that laughably soft receiver lead CanWest in TD's, yards per catch, yards per game and total receiving yards.

If this guy and his teammates couldn't stop Jade from putting up over 100 yards per game, who's the real punchline?

Good points.  This guy was an LB.  He said he always saw Etienne avoiding hits.  Anyway, no point continuing to bag on the guy.  We got Drew Willy for him, who gave us some decent games until he lost it, and then we ended up with some great draft picks and TJ Heath.  So in the end Etienne was a bust, but we got something for him.  Richards we ended up with nothing, so who is the bigger bust?

8 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Good points.  This guy was an LB.  He said he always saw Etienne avoiding hits.  Anyway, no point continuing to bag on the guy.  We got Drew Willy for him, who gave us some decent games until he lost it, and then we ended up with some great draft picks and TJ Heath.  So in the end Etienne was a bust, but we got something for him.  Richards we ended up with nothing, so who is the bigger bust?

This is true. The value of a player is dependant on how they finish their career.  Retirement or injury give zero return but otherwise this is some residual value.  My preference of Walters over Mack is not just based on current who is in the seat status but also on the evident strategy.  Having 3 Canadians in the main management positions proves what we always say. Any CFL team is as good as your National depth. Building the  team inside out is great because that is where useful National talent usually found.  I have to close as always I am speaking only as an uneducated fan but one who has been following since Jay Washington was scooting. 

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

that coupled with how our offense is built.  we so rarely use the 5th receiver as a viable threat that drafting someone to play that role so high would be a waste of an asset to them.. hard not to agree with the theory as JFG  wasn't a first rounder and hes doing very well in the role.. Kholert was also decent enough until his hands went south..   Normand who slots in there on occasion for blocking as well has done a great job in his spot duty with blocking and catching/running..

I think that while Walters, O'shea and Lapo are involved with this team, that we will be doing exactly like you said, drafting linemen with the occasional reach for an LB or DB if they truly feel they can be a difference maker but when we are drafting starting safeties in the third round, that need to make that reach is lessened. 

Lapo needs to start using Normand a little more in pass protection as Edm. does with McCarty, most of the sacks have come with multiple blitzers coming and only Harris in the backfield.

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Lapo needs to start using Normand a little more in pass protection as Edm. does with McCarty, most of the sacks have come with multiple blitzers coming and only Harris in the backfield.

Yup I agree.. the sacks I recall seeing are usually when they outnumber our linemen and RB and Harris has to choose between one or the other and the other gets in for the lick on the QB.

20 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Yup I agree.. the sacks I recall seeing are usually when they outnumber our linemen and RB and Harris has to choose between one or the other and the other gets in for the lick on the QB.

QB needs to get the ball away quickly when he recognizes they are outnumbered.  There are always going to be sacks.  More blockers will result in more coverage sacks, throwaways, knockdowns and interceptions because there will be fewer targets.  Our OL in 2009 allowed the fewest sacks because they had Jon Oosterhuis on the field as an extra blocker all the time.  But the offence suffered overall.  It's not as simple as just using more blockers.

Just now, Atomic said:

QB needs to get the ball away quickly when he recognizes they are outnumbered.  There are always going to be sacks.  More blockers will result in more coverage sacks, throwaways, knockdowns and interceptions because there will be fewer targets.  Our OL in 2009 allowed the fewest sacks because they had Jon Oosterhuis on the field as an extra blocker all the time.  But the offence suffered overall.  It's not as simple as just using more blockers.

Oh I agree.  I was just commenting on how I agreed that the one blocker did cause hits to Nichols.  I'd rather have Normand in for blocking and for releasing out into the flat while Harris is gone on a passing route.    Nichol's has gotten better about recognizing blitz and getting it out quicker but his progressions in these situations still take too long at times and lead to him getting punished.