Biggest Rivalry in the CFL: Regina Winnipeg

BigBlue

Not claiming any guru or prognosticator status here today but my best judgment seemed to work out today ... here was my forecast as I started this thread:

"I think we manage to eke out a strange squeaker by the tiniest of margins and I would rather be lucky than good (even as we make our own luck).... I don't believe the Blue are ready to blow anybody away just yet; but by labor day who knows..."

So it's a double great feeling for the victory and the forecast .... yippee !

Edited by BigBlue

A road victory in a tough environment is a good start - but some things to clean up......think we all know, what those are....

But playing a team that was starting their 2nd game, while the Blue were still in X-game mode.......was a huge disadvantage.   (although the not so surprising slow start went on too long)

If Nichols had started sharper.....we would of blown them away.  

We will see if the glitches have been worked out - and they had better be..... against a much better team (Stamps)

Riders have some good players.....but that roster overall...looks pretty patchwork and depth is a question......along with coaching.

Congrats on the win, wow was that an entertaining football game.  The team in Year 4 of a rebuild took the team in year 2 of the rebuilt right up to the wire.  Bombers are good team, Riders are getting there but need to learn how to close out the game.  If we had a Medlock at a kicker we would be 2-0 right now, not 0-2.  One thing is certain, the CFL this season has been top shelf entertainment.  Here's hoping the Bombers stomp the Stamps this week.  Must win for the Riders on Saturday versus the Ticats.

Edited by Mosaic

2 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

We should have won by at least 2 touchdowns though

Riders could easily say the same thing.   Take away the 2 horrible INT's by Glenn or the 3 busted coverages and the game is a route by the Riders

35 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

Congrats on the win, wow was that an entertaining football game.  The team in Year 4 of a rebuild took the team in year 2 of the rebuilt right up to the wire.  Bombers are good team, Riders are getting there but need to learn how to close out the game.  If we had a Medlock at a kicker we would be 2-0 right now, not 0-2.  One thing is certain, the CFL this season has been top shelf entertainment.  Here's hoping the Bombers stomp the Stamps this week.  Must win for the Riders on Saturday versus the Ticats.

if you had a medlock kicker (Which many rider fan ridiculed us for paying $175k to btw) you would likely be 1-0-1 right now because the only kick crappy missed was that 2nd OT kick for 3,  which we would have matched on our next drive.  Though we were starting to march the ball again so who knows how that drive ends up instead of just centering the ball for Medlock, but I think it ends up a 43-43 tie

1 hour ago, Mosaic said:

Riders could easily say the same thing.   Take away the 2 horrible INT's by Glenn or the 3 busted coverages and the game is a route by the Riders

take away the fact Glenn is horrible and your dbs are even worse an you won yeah.

good thing that's reality to rider fans. We'll take the win, thanks.

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

if you had a medlock kicker (Which many rider fan ridiculed us for paying $175k to btw) you would likely be 1-0-1 right now because the only kick crappy missed was that 2nd OT kick for 3,  which we would have matched on our next drive.  Though we were starting to march the ball again so who knows how that drive ends up instead of just centering the ball for Medlock, but I think it ends up a 43-43 tie

if they hit that kick i'm pretty sure we don't run the ball 4 times to end the game.

How can you predict that?

1 minute ago, Gotmilt said:

if they hit that kick i'm pretty sure we don't run the ball 4 times to end the game.

How can you predict that?

if they make the kick,  were definitely playing for the TD, but I expect we still run the ball (likely on 1st down). I think Rider would be playing prevent D to avoid getting burned deep so it should open up the ground game. 

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

if they make the kick,  were definitely playing for the TD, but I expect we still run the ball (likely on 1st down). I think Rider would be playing prevent D to avoid getting burned deep so it should open up the ground game. 

So? we take the underneath throws then? Did you watch the end? Harris was imposing his will, it's not like they stopped him we didn't want to risk a fumble so took the 3 points and got the F out of there.

Just now, Gotmilt said:

So? we take the underneath throws then? Did you watch the end? Harris was imposing his will, it's not like they stopped him we didn't want to risk a fumble so took the 3 points and got the F out of there.

I said in my first post we were starting to march the ball again (with success) so I don't know if we would have settled for a FG if we needed a TD to win. I understand why we took the 3, because that was all we needed. So yes it was the right call.

curious can you kick a single in OT? 

6 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I said in my first post we were starting to march the ball again (with success) so I don't know if we would have settled for a FG if we needed a TD to win. I understand why we took the 3, because that was all we needed. So yes it was the right call.

curious can you kick a single in OT? 

Yes.  All Medlock had to do was kick it through the endzone.

Also doubt you'd see "prevent" when the ball starts at the 35.

On 6/29/2017 at 3:28 PM, Mike said:

I think I've literally just about had it with internet Rider fans. There are quite a number of them (CalgaryRiderFan, Beacon.x, Bingo_Arms, Huff Daddy and several others whose names just elude me right now) that are tolerable, awesome guys to talk football with but man, the majority of people over at Riderfans.com are the biggest bunch of deluded dumb as a post mouth breathers I've ever encountered. It's a shame, because every year I go to Regina for every single away game we have there, the people that I meet are awesome. It's a great city to go watch a game and the fans that are invested in supporting the Riders are great to be around.

But that website is a cesspool of stupidity. The stuff I've read on that site is some of the most ridiculous nonsense I've ever imagined. Very few people on there have any clue about football as it relates to anything outside their province and trying to use any kind of reasoning with them is like talking to a doorknob. Wake up and smell the coffee, Rider fans. Your team is the worst team in the CFL, your coach is the laughing stock of the entire league and your GM somehow manages to have no clue what your head coach and defensive coordinator and media recruiting coordinator are doing, despite them all being the same person. You're using the last wear on the tires of old broken down pieces like Kevin Glenn, Jovon Johnson and Peter Dyakowski. Your coach can't stop fetishizing about the kudos he'll get if FINALLY he manages to turn a fullback into a defensive back or a tackle into a receiver and it affects the quality of your roster from top to bottom. You scout and house somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 players, yet can't find a single guy to play defensive back and somehow have to settle for convincing yourselves that Ed Gainey is serviceable. Maybe AC Leonard will stop going offside. Maybe Brenden Labatte won't get hurt for the 47th time. Maybe Henoc Muamba will stop being too fat. Maybe Duron Carter will keep his trap shut for once. Maybe Linden Gaydosh is duct taped together well enough to hold up for 3 or 4 games. Maybe Jordan Reaves will stop dealing cocaine. And maybe if all of that happens, you might have enough of a football team to piece together 7 or 8 wins this year.

Until then, know your place, shut up and enjoy the basement. I can't wait until we stomp these guys on Saturday.

Post. Of. The. Decade.

Image result for roaring applause gif

On 6/29/2017 at 3:49 PM, Mosaic said:

Whats his record of games he's actually played in?  I believe Derek Taylor had the stat up a couple months ago and it was more losses than wins.  If you're confident hitching your wagon to Nicholls at a contract like that, knock yourself out.

He's got a winning record as a QB. And is now 11-3 as a starter since joining the Bombers... Oh, and 4-0 against the Jonestown Dumpsterfires.

On 6/29/2017 at 4:01 PM, Mosaic said:

Nope, I see their roster as having many holes like in previous seasons, especially at crucial places like receiver, LB, Canadian OLine depth, marginal starting QB, secondary, etc.  It'll be interesting to see if Okapoluga performs how most former CFL players play after returning from the NFL.

Saturday will be fun Mike, enjoy that atmosphere and look around and admire how things are supposed to be built.  No hard hat required.

This comment really speaks to an alarming lack of knowledge on the fundamentals of football. Can't even spell Okpalaugo properly, FFS.

And it's comical how you constantly rebut with digs at IGF. That's basically saying "My understanding of football is dog crap, so I'll deflect and look completely moronic on this forum while vainly badmouthing a beautiful CFL venue."

Let's be real here: the only people requiring head protection at our stadium come from the rectangle province... And they're forced to wear it all the time.

Here's a fun fact: the Riders are the only team since the re-addition of Ottawa to lose to the team with a week 1 bye.

And another fun fact: the Blue Bombers have the first win ever at Mosaic 2.0!

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Post. Of. The. Decade.

Image result for roaring applause gif

He's got a winning record as a QB. And is now 11-3 as a starter since joining the Bombers... Oh, and 4-0 against the Jonestown Dumpsterfires.

This comment really speaks to an alarming lack of knowledge on the fundamentals of football. Can't even spell Okpalaugo properly, FFS.

And it's comical how you constantly rebut with digs at IGF. That's basically saying "My understanding of football is dog crap, so I'll deflect and look completely moronic on this forum while vainly badmouthing a beautiful CFL venue."

Let's be real here: the only people requiring head protection at our stadium come from the rectangle province... And they're forced to wear it all the time.

Here's a fun fact: the Riders are the only team since the re-addition of Ottawa to lose to the team with a week 1 bye.

And another fun fact: the Blue Bombers have the first win ever at Mosaic 2.0!

and another fun fact.. new Mosiac was built loosely upon the concept for IGF from what i've heard and read from countless sources... Soooo, they stole our idea and attempted to make it better.. and yet, somehow have come up wanting.. 

its a nice new barn, no doubt but its not some shining mecca of football eliteness.