Pre-Season Week 2

Noeller

Yes... it may come down to a competition between Coates and Yachison.  They have a similar amount of pro experience and Coates being hurt isn't helping his cause.  I wouldn't be that surprised if they keep both along with JFG however.  Deal with the logjam if and when Richards gets healthy.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

and I honestly don't think Hurl is *THAT* bad....he's adequate, but not a superstar Barrin Simpson-type....which is find, *IF* you have a dynamite Front 4. I'm not ready to say they've fixed their problems...not until I see it myself.....but it sure seems like they're trying.

I tend to agree with you most of the time.

As far as I know none of the posters here have any experience as a Linebacking scout or CFL defensive coach. I'm sure the team watches video and can assess where plays go wrong. After a couple bad games COLLECTIVELY by the Bombers I know everyone started chasing Hurl out with pitch forks, take a step back and just think for a second that maybe Hurl was doing his job and the guys around him were in the wrong spots.

Not saying I know anything about the position or the situation but i am willing to bet MOS knows a little more than we do.

Just now, Atomic said:

Yes... it may come down to a competition between Coates and Yachison.  They have a similar amount of pro experience and Coates being hurt isn't helping his cause.  I wouldn't be that surprised if they keep both along with JFG however.  Deal with the logjam if and when Richards gets healthy.

I really like what I've seen from Yach i'm hoping we see another strong game from him tomorrow.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Richards is out long-term. I doubt we see him any time soon.

Yes it sounded like Richards would be out 6 Weeks or so however he has been out for 2 weeks already and we have a first week bye so he might miss the first 2 games depending on what injury he has.

15 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Not saying I know anything about the position or the situation but i am willing to bet MOS knows a little more than we do.

Yeah exactly, what in gods name makes anyone here think that Mike O'Shea doesn't know how to spot a guy who can play linebacker? If there's one thing he should know it's what a linebacker looks like. 

Yeah, why exactly are we hanging on to Richards?  He's always hurt.  It's like he knows someone on the Bombers and they're just letting him keep his job because he's buddies with them.  Every time he was injured last year and the year before that they would only tell us he was "hurt" but would never say what it was.

43 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah exactly, what in gods name makes anyone here think that Mike O'Shea doesn't know how to spot a guy who can play linebacker? If there's one thing he should know it's what a linebacker looks like. 

and Middle Linebacker, at that.....

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The whole "coach knows better than posters on this forum" is ridiculous. of course he does. What's the forum for, if we can't speculate about every aspect of the team? Otherwise it turns into the same as the Rider forum that you hate. right?

and I'm not commenting on Mike O'Shea in particular. I guess the debate will end  when he coaches the Bombers to a Grey Cup win. Or one and done in the playoffs again this season.

But there's no shortage of examples of great players, including linebackers,  who made poor coaches.

Mike Singletary.... hall of fame linebacker.... failed as a coach. probably out of football now.

But like our Mike, He probably knew a good linebacker from a bad one .

And not many posters can put their finger on exactly who blew what play, and why.

But it's easy to notice that the Bombers defence last year was one of the worst in the league.

Let's Hope it is much better than that this year, with or without Hurl.

Edit*

a while ago moderator and forum mainstay Mike was lamenting that Hurl appeared to be on track to be starting middle

linebacker. Didn't notice anyone slamming him for holding that view.

Edited by Mark F

36 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Looking forward to seeing Thorpe, the MLB battle, Poop Johnson and the new corners tomorrow.

I seriously want to see a bunch of giant poop emoji signs all over the stadium by fall time, because this guy has become such a big star by  then.......

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I tend to agree but there are so many examples of great players not really knowing what you think they should. I agree tho. I think he also gets input Obviously from hall and the d coaches. 

Even the best coaches make bad decisions sometimes.  It's not an exact science.  Every year 8 out of 9 head coaches fail to win the Grey Cup.  I think it's fair to question whether certain decisions they make are the correct ones.

It may not be a coaching problem.  If all the American linebacker prospects just aren't as good as Hurl.... that's a totally different issue.  People are assuming if Hurl wins the job that we have cut better players in Knox, Temple, and Stone but the reality may just be that those guys weren't good enough.  I personally haven't seen anything yet from them to say they are better options than Hurl.

But Hurl hasn't won the job yet.  Let's see how this plays out.

not just a matter of being better, but having a greater impact as a non-import in a certain position than a non-import in another potential position.  I think the potential improvement of temple or knox over Hurl is not as great as the potential improvement of Poop/other import DL over Thomas/Butcher/Ekaitie.  Im ok with Hurl as a starting MLB if our DL can dominate LOS like the swaggerville days.  

Just now, peggars said:

not just a matter of being better, but having a greater impact as a non-import in a certain position than a non-import in another potential position.  I think the potential improvement of temple or knox over Hurl is not as great as the potential improvement of Poop/other import DL over Thomas/Butcher/Ekaitie.  Im ok with Hurl as a starting MLB if our DL can dominate LOS like the swaggerville days.  

Possibly so, but in the swagger days, we had a pretty good set of linebackers. The linemen could just pin their ears back and charge knowing that if anyone slipped past them, they wouldn't get far. Hurl doesn't have to be an all-star but he has to be at least average for this to work, and he hasn't been so far.

The question ultimately is whether or not Hurl is a better linebacker than Thomas/Ekakitie/Butcher are DTs and whether the american DTs they brought in are better than the american linebackers. That's the balance they're striving for and I for one will trust the coaches to make that call. Not like they don't rotate people in and out anyway, probably lots of plays with a canadian at dt and an american at lb and lots with a canadian at lb and american at DT. They'll make it work. 

3 hours ago, BBFan said:

Yes it sounded like Richards would be out 6 Weeks or so however he has been out for 2 weeks already and we have a first week bye so he might miss the first 2 games depending on what injury he has.

Not like the maintenance crews were not told to remove the creases and staple the turf better! 

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I think its because he's too loyal to his assistants...

Hurl is a Richie Hall 'project' from day one...  I'm sure Hall vouched for Macho Harris too - and prob Keith Shologan...  

Kuale HAS to be an Etcheverry pick - I mean cmon...  he was the opposite of what Mike Oshea was as a player