Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

22 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I don't think Nichols is any kind of top tier qb or anything, he's good enough to win with if the team around him is playing well, but here is the major difference between Nichols and Glenn.... Nichols showed some real leadership with the Bombers last season where as Kevin Glenn is in no way shape or form a leader of any kind, that coupled with his age and declining skills makes me skeptical he's going to be any screaming hell in a place like Saskatchewan. 

Saskatchewan IS Screaming Hell

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

CFL salaries have to go up.  We'd see less of these retirements.

I agree.  It's been a bone of contention with me for a long time.  I hate seeing guys languishing on NFL practice rosters making more than stars in the CFL.  It's just not right.  I wish the NFL would wake up to the development potential of the CFL and dump several mil a year into this league ($1 million or more per team) and allow 75% to be spent on salaries and 25% on marketing.  Time to bump up salaries big time.  Guys shouldn't be retiring at 25 years old to run water companies.

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I agree.  It's been a bone of contention with me for a long time.  I hate seeing guys languishing on NFL practice rosters making more than stars in the CFL.  It's just not right.  I wish the NFL would wake up to the development potential of the CFL and dump several mil a year into this league ($1 million or more per team) and allow 75% to be spent on salaries and 25% on marketing.  Time to bump up salaries big time.  Guys shouldn't be retiring at 25 years old to run water companies.

Thats an interesting idea.  The issue is, of course, increasing the revenue of the CFL.  The NFL could easily afford it.  But what would they want in return?

18 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Bad enough Riders lose Durants skill set you lose the intangibles. He, s mentally tough, fights through adversity. Traits that do not and will never apply to Glenn

What Rider fans will quickly come to realize is that Durant was a strong thick legged man, so many times a defender would look like he had a sure sack but Durant was able to fight it off and still make a throw. That's not gonna happen with Kevin Glenn back there, Glenn feels the heat and he's down. Get a hand on him and he's down. Yeah he's got a quick release and tries to work around it that way, but if you get pressure on Glenn and don't let him get into his groove it's gonna be a long ugly night for your offense. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

What Rider fans will quickly come to realize is that Durant was a strong thick legged man, so many times a defender would look like he had a sure sack but Durant was able to fight it off and still make a throw. That's not gonna happen with Kevin Glenn back there, Glenn feels the heat and he's down. Get a hand on him and he's down. Yeah he's got a quick release and tries to work around it that way, but if you get pressure on Glenn and don't let him get into his groove it's gonna be a long ugly night for your offense. 

All the more bizarre is Rider fans should know this. Glenn has a huge resume that every CFL fan has seen especially his diminishing play. How so many have been bamboozled into thinking hes an equal replacement is frankly baffling

12 minutes ago, Zontar said:

All the more bizarre is Rider fans should know this. Glenn has a huge resume that every CFL fan has seen especially his diminishing play. How so many have been bamboozled into thinking hes an equal replacement is frankly baffling

is it... is it really? 

Jones said so, so clearly its the gods honest truth..

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

CFL salaries have to go up.  We'd see less of these retirements.

... or we would see more.  Unless the salary cap increased dramatically - along with the revenues. 

Increasing salaries for the stars leaves less for those with declining skills.

57 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Careful what you wish for.  Make a deal with a monstrosity like the NFL and you have to expect that sooner or later they will come back with the (in your best Vito Corleone voice) "I am asking you for a favour."

As long as the CFL is afloat they have a form of a farm league without spending a penny. 

If they invest, why would they want i to stick with 3 downs?  Defense a yard off the ball? on a bigger field? Canadian ratio?

31 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Hate to defend him but Jones looking pretty smart right now...  yup Durant's a strong thick-legged man whose knee might just be 'done'.

Nice to see the annual 'Kevin Glenn sucks' convo...  must be football season!

Because a lineman rolled on him in practice?  Verdict will be in on Jones when we see what Glenn etc do. Not what Durant does in MTL

52 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Hate to defend him but Jones looking pretty smart right now...  yup Durant's a strong thick-legged man whose knee might just be 'done'.

How does Durant getting injured months after he was traded make Jones look smart? And where has it been said Durant might be done?

http://www.tsn.ca/chapdelaine-confident-durant-will-be-fine-1.766428

You really went out of your way to defend Jones there.

14 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

How does Durant getting injured months after he was traded make Jones look smart? And where has it been said Durant might be done?

http://www.tsn.ca/chapdelaine-confident-durant-will-be-fine-1.766428

You really went out of your way to defend Jones there.

its more so a Kevin Glenn Love affair.

1 hour ago, MC said:

... or we would see more.  Unless the salary cap increased dramatically - along with the revenues. 

Increasing salaries for the stars leaves less for those with declining skills.

Not sure I follow.  If the salary cap goes up and the minimum salary goes up along with it then I don't see how anyone is getting less.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

^^^ Both of those........he knew he wasn't going to start here, knew it was a ****-show in Regina and his odds of playing were far greater there. Can you blame him??

If Bennett didn't think he could beat Nichols out in a fair matchup, we are well rid of him and both he and the Riders deserve each other. If Bennett saw that O'Shea would keep starting Nichols no matter what, that would concern me. We seen that movie before.

Edited by tracker

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

Why did we give up on Bryan Bennett?

We didnt. He ended up in PR last season, so he's technically a FA. He decided to sign with the Riders (him and Mayo) when the Riders came calling. He probably figured hes chance of ending as a one the 3 QBs in AR is better with the Riders than the Bombers.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

3 hours ago, tracker said:

If Bennett didn't think he could beat Nichols out in a fair matchup, we are well ride of him and both he and the Riders deserve each other. If Bennett saw that O'Shea would keep starting Nichols no matter what, that would concern me. We seen that movie before.

Yeah. Sure. That movie is made up in your head. 

11 hours ago, Zontar said:

Bad enough Riders lose Durants skill set you lose the intangibles. He, s mentally tough, fights through adversity. Traits that do not and will never apply to Glenn

Rider fans have seen a lot of games over the last 2 years where Durant was not their QB. They should know this already. Heck, Glenn was already the backup that turned starter for what, 4-5 of those games?