Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

The numbers show that Kevin Glenn was 3 and 5 as a starter last season and Matt Nichols was 10-3. In my opinion, this shows Nichols was better than Glenn. Nichols averaged 275 yards per games in his starts.

You kind of blew that argument as the Bombers clearly had a better team last year. That didn't help Nichols record at all when you guys were a INT machine on defense? I think we both know it did. What Nichols did do well is not lose games for you.

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

Nichols did a great job last year not turning the ball over and playing within himself. No question about it. But Matt has had his troubles with untimely INT's in his career, in fact that's what made him expendable in Edmonton. I like where the Bombers are at and am happy for you guys, but to say Nichols is night and day better that Glenn is simply not true and the numbers show it. if the 2016 Nichols shows up you will have a good season

If it came down to picking Glenn or Nichols as a starter, it's Nichols no question.

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If it came down to picking Glenn or Nichols as a starter, it's Nichols no question.

I agree. I think Nichols has more upside. He took a big step forward last year. Conventional thinking would suggest he keeps going this year and hopefully even takes another step forward to higher level. he has had a entire offseason to actually plan as being the starter, something he hasn't had in a long time. I would love to see him play well( except against us). I have never said I was a huge Glenn fan. ALL I have said is the two are very similar at this point. Both have had INT issues in the past. Both have done well when they have had a good team around them and they weren't expected to be the savior. I guess I am defending the point that some here seem so sure Glenn will be  a huge failure this year. I don't see that happening. He will do well in our quick read offense where he doesn't have to hang onto the ball too long.  We have a lot better receiving core than many here want to admit, that will be a huge asset. Are we on the verge of winning the cup this year? of course not, but Glenn is a stop gap to get us through and keep us competitive in the mean time.  That he will do 

Just now, Ripper said:

I agree. I think Nichols has more upside. He took a big step forward last year. Conventional thinking would suggest he keeps going this year and hopefully even takes another step forward to higher level. he has had a entire offseason to actually plan as being the starter, something he hasn't had in a long time. I would love to see him play well( except against us). I have never said I was a huge Glenn fan. ALL I have said is the two are very similar at this point. Both have had INT issues in the past. Both have done well when they have had a good team around them and they weren't expected to be the savior. I guess I am defending the point that some here seem so sure Glenn will be  a huge failure this year. I don't see that happening. He will do well in our quick read offense where he doesn't have to hang onto the ball too long.  We have a lot better receiving core than many here want to admit, that will be a huge asset. Are we on the verge of winning the cup this year? of course not, but Glenn is a stop gap to get us through and keep us competitive in the mean time.  That he will do 

In comparing the two, I see Nichols as being more competition in personality- he wants to win and Glenn just doesn't seem to have the damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-ahead mentality. This might be better for Glenn's longevity but does not endear himself to the fans. 

3 minutes ago, tracker said:

In comparing the two, I see Nichols as being more competition in personality- he wants to win and Glenn just doesn't seem to have the damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-ahead mentality. This might be better for Glenn's longevity but does not endear himself to the fans. 

Glenn just shrugs his shoulders or shakes his head looking at the ground when things don't go his way. He's a wet dishrag as a qb. Not a lot of fire there. Not saying Nichols is the second coming of Matt Dunigan but he seems more like a leader/field general than Glenn. There's a reason why every team Kevin's been with really didn't want him as their starter even though teams had brought him in to be just that.

4 hours ago, Ripper said:

Nichols did a great job last year not turning the ball over and playing within himself. No question about it. But Matt has had his troubles with untimely INT's in his career, in fact that's what made him expendable in Edmonton. I like where the Bombers are at and am happy for you guys, but to say Nichols is night and day better that Glenn is simply not true and the numbers show it. if the 2016 Nichols shows up you will have a good season

Seriously? Nichols vs Glenn, and you use "troubles with untimely INT's in his career" as your main point? You know that Kevin "Game on the line Pick Six" Glenn is good for two pick-sixes-when-game-is-on-the-line, a season- right?

9 hours ago, Ripper said:

You kind of blew that argument as the Bombers clearly had a better QUARTERBACK last year. That didn't help Nichols record at all when you guys were a INT machine on defense? I think we both know it did. What Nichols did do well is not lose games for you.

Fixed it for you.  Other acceptable corrections also are Coach, GM, stadium, weather, or fans.

9 hours ago, Ripper said:

You kind of blew that argument as the Bombers clearly had a better team last year. That didn't help Nichols record at all when you guys were a INT machine on defense? I think we both know it did. What Nichols did do well is not lose games for you.

I honestly don't think the riders will have a better overall team than MTL had last year.

That is something Glenn does, and has done he entire career. Optimism is great and all. But his track record speaks for itself.

At least those retirements were pre-camp and the teams had a bit more time to bring someone else in.  I always kind of feel bad for guys airlifted in at the last minute... how much of a chance do they actually have in that situation?  I guess the flip side is that at least they are getting a chance.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

As I said in a different thread... regardless of stats.

Fourth quarter game winning drive...   the qb gets drilled and gets back up.    

The odds of winning this game with Glenn is damn near zero... while Nichols has shown that he can get back on his feet and keep playing. 

Glenn excels in a perfect scenario where he has great blocking , a good rb who can take pressure off of him.   The moment he gets rocked his play tanks to near Brink like levels...

4 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

me, and hindsight aside I still would have gone after him if it were FA all over again, he was a good player. I think this was just making room for Woods

That makes no sense.  It's not like the team cut him to make room.

4 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

That makes no sense.  It's not like the team cut him to make room.

not cut but maybe they wanted to restructure the contract he was signed to before Trestman/Popp arrived to fit in woods, and retirement suddenly occurs.  Could be a variety of reasons,  but taking a pay cut is sometimes a reason for it

**sorry maybe i should have clarified a little more in that make room i meant both roster and sms

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

As I said in a different thread... regardless of stats.

Fourth quarter game winning drive...   the qb gets drilled and gets back up.    

The odds of winning this game with Glenn is damn near zero... while Nichols has shown that he can get back on his feet and keep playing. 

Glenn excels in a perfect scenario where he has great blocking , a good rb who can take pressure off of him.   The moment he gets rocked his play tanks to near Brink like levels...

McManus described this well in a recent interview on TSN Radio, he said he looks for QB's that can pop back up and compete after gettng smashed in the mouth.  Kevin Glenn just doesn't have that attribute, if he couldn't make it work with the Stamps, he won't make it work anywhere, he is easily intimidated.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

17 hours ago, Ripper said:

2015.  Glenn 241/game average . 2016 Glenn 283/game average.   2015 Nichols 219/ game average. 2016 244/ game average.

I've heard this twice today from you guys. Look at the numbers and tell me Nichols is night and day better.

I don't think Nichols is any kind of top tier qb or anything, he's good enough to win with if the team around him is playing well, but here is the major difference between Nichols and Glenn.... Nichols showed some real leadership with the Bombers last season where as Kevin Glenn is in no way shape or form a leader of any kind, that coupled with his age and declining skills makes me skeptical he's going to be any screaming hell in a place like Saskatchewan.