Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

Just now, wanna-b-fanboy said:

No, but on this- you have to acknowledge that he did the right thing and give him props for it. 

He still sucks as coach and gm. 

yeah apparently he had other pending charges as well, Jones either doesn't care until it's in the press or really doesn't do any background checks.

6 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

No, but on this- you have to acknowledge that he did the right thing and give him props for it. 

It falls under the category of better late than never, but good on the Riders for finally making a good pr decision. The spiel about having daughters and it being a matter of principle falls a little flat though. He was already a two-time loser when he signed him.

Edited by sweep the leg

8 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Agreed. I can understand the hate on him for other decisions, but in this case, he made the right and proper decision. Too bad he didn't bother see Cox's history before signing him the first time, though. He's a repeat offender.

He's completely brutal as a GM. :lol:

Edited by blue_gold_84

35 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

We don't know if Jones was given direction by the board, but regardless, for all the scorn we have heaped on Jones and Co., this was heartening. Not only is Cox's pro football career over, his life is probably over. The legal system down there is particularly hard on backs and repeat offenders,

11 minutes ago, tracker said:

We don't know if Jones was given direction by the board, but regardless, for all the scorn we have heaped on Jones and Co., this was heartening. Not only is Cox's pro football career over, his life is probably over. The legal system down there is particularly hard on backs and repeat offenders,

Just defensive backs like Cox? Or did you mean running backs (like OJ and Lawrence Phillips) and quarterbacks (like Ryan Leaf) as well?

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Jones says Cox will not be rejoining the team. As a matter of principle. Now you guys can sign him and take back all the stuff you have said and be all giddy your selves

I agree it would be funny to see some people do a 180 on that... but we all know that was never happening.... Walters and O'Shea have made it clear from day one they are targeting good people that are good football players...

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

It was the right move by Jones and the Org. I'll give them props for that. Absolutely no reason why we would sign him tho. I don't think he's the type of 'character' Oshea goes for regardless of talent

I don't think he is deserving of praise for this... but I'm wondering if the board or someone higher up has given him a talking to... time to clean up this PR disaster that has been the last 1.5 years in Riderville...

38 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I agree it would be funny to see some people do a 180 on that... but we all know that was never happening.... Walters and O'Shea have made it clear from day one they are targeting good people that are good football players...

I don't think he is deserving of praise for this... but I'm wondering if the board or someone higher up has given him a talking to... time to clean up this PR disaster that has been the last 1.5 years in Riderville...

The fact Jones made reference to his own daughters makes me think this was equally his decision as it was a call from above him.  The team cut him quickly,  the league banned him quickly,  his teammates bashed him almost instantly. While the judge ruled based on the evidence there was not enough to support the charge, I think those close enough to the situation knew enough to have put their foot down as they have.

As much as I enjoy Jones F'n up and making the riders look bad, this isn't one of those cases, so I give him credit for doing the right thing and it's actually refreshing to see the league take a hard stance on it as well. Too many football players out there without the baggage to keep guys like this around imo

5 hours ago, Ripper said:

This is total BS comment and not true. Say what you want about the riders but you don't have to make stuff up.

but its not.  I've been in 3 different debates with rider fans saying we should just all forgive and forget because of this not guilty outcome.   just because you don't see it, doesn't mean its not true..

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

but its not.  I've been in 3 different debates with rider fans saying we should just all forgive and forget because of this not guilty outcome.   just because you don't see it, doesn't mean its not true..

So 3 different Riders fans then speak for the fan base?