Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

@Morley_Scott  52s53 seconds ago

Talked with Konar after practice yesterday -- he seemed fine. Today he has a cast on his right hand and is watching mock game. #Esks #CFTC

Esks LB Adam Konar in civvies with cast on hand this afternoon...

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

6 or 7 at least. Not a big Glenn fan myself but 48k passing yards says he can at least play in the league

Well, it's helped he's been in the league for the better part of two decades...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I almost wanted to give this its own thread...................

"Receiver Tori Gurley happy to be with Redblacks after 2016 'mistake' with Bombers"

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/local-sports/redblacks-snapshots-8?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CflOttawaCitizen+(Feedrinse+Authors-Ottawa+Citizen)

Let's look at what Gurley said:

“It was a learning experience,” the 29-year-old receiver, who signed with Ottawa a month ago, said Friday. “I felt like I should have been here. I let a personal decision come in between that. Now I’m able to right my wrongs and I’m here and ready to work. I just thought it was a better fit for me to be in Winnipeg. Obviously I was wrong about that.”

“(Going to a new team late in the Canadian Football League season), it’s tough. When you have a person come over in Week 13 or 14 of the season, I didn’t have a rapport with any of those guys. When I was speaking with (the Blue Bombers),  it was all about me being big, posting up and making plays on the perimeter. I thought that’s what I was going to be used for. It just didn’t work out that way.”

Nothing nefarious at all. He expected A and what happened was B, whatever the circumstances were. Gurley didn't say anything wrong and that title is just pathetic clickbait. Tim Baines is being an idiot, trying to create drama where there is none.

EDIT: Although, I find it kinda silly to say he should've been there (as in with Ottawa). Of course he'd say that in retrospect now that the RedBlacks are the defending champions. LOL

Edited by blue_gold_84

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

If you want to argue my posts. Please argue them on what I have actually said. I never said Nichols only looked good because of the defense. I said he gets too much credit. There is a difference there. As far as Lefevour, the guy is brutal. to say otherwise is total blind blue goggles talking. Been with 4 or 5 teams, has thrown more picks than td's in his career. Noodle arm, all he does is run around.  You guys got something good going with Nichols and Davis, but please don't defend signing Levefour because that is over the top IMO

We don't know what we have in Davis.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

So Gurley basically says he saw less competition for reps with the Bombers than the Redblacks and signed here and then was disappointed that they didn't make him the focal point of their team after joining late... 

I think it would've been tough for him to crack any lineup being traded as late in the season as he was.

Was reading some of the reports from training camp over on RF.

Sounds like the majority of the reports aren't very flattering. There's one poster (I'm sure you can guess who) who is assuring everyone things will be fine, but according to a decent amount of the reports, their defense is getting whooped on a regular basis - especially in coverage. Not a good thing for a Kevin Glenn offense.

I wonder what we open as for week 2 favorites.

Winnipeg -4.5 seems realistic, given the 3 point advantage they generally give the home team.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Sounds like the majority of the reports aren't very flattering. There's one poster (I'm sure you can guess who) who is assuring everyone things will be fine, but according to a decent amount of the reports, their defense is getting whooped on a regular basis - especially in coverage. Not a good thing for a Kevin Glenn offense.

Winnipeg -4.5 seems realistic, given the 3 point advantage they generally give the home team.

Does it start with 'R' and end up 'ider Stronson'...?

So Wyman has an article in the Sun today about Hurl possibly starting. He of course cites the ratio flexibility this would bring. However is it hard to take him seriously when in the article he lists JFG, Gossen, Chungh, Loffler, Harris, Thomas and Normand as starters, omitting Westerman?

22 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

seems like a lot of teams are having these mock games,  does anyone know if the bombers are going to have one? I'd be more inclined to watch that over drills

The nfl used to (IDK if they still do or not) have inter squad TC games. With 2 pre season games id love to see this. That or a 3rd pre season game. I might be too picky but i think 2 isnt enough and 4 is too many. 

3 hours ago, coach17 said:

Riders picked up Anthony Allen today.

Hes a gooder. Arent the riders going NI rb though? 

I like allen, would be great to see him as a true feature back. Though that role is rarer and rarer. And the way the riders have used the run game I dont see any RB having a huge impact for them. 

More touches for jeremiah johnson in bc is scary. Especially as that OL seems to be improving. 

5 hours ago, Mike said:

The select few over there are determined to paint a rosey picture no matter what. At the same time pity the fool who questions credibility

39 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Hes a gooder. Arent the riders going NI rb though?

Could be a sign LaFrance simply isn't starter calibre yet. Allen's got way more experience. If that's the case, it'll mean more ratio juggling for Jonestown.

Edited by blue_gold_84

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Could be a sign LaFrance simply isn't starter calibre yet. Allen's got way more experience. If that's the case, it'll mean more ratio juggling for Jonestown.

Yeah thats a good point. Maybe they will start allen go ni else where and rotate him and lafrance. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I like allen, would be great to see him as a true feature back. Though that role is rarer and rarer. And the way the riders have used the run game I dont see any RB having a huge impact for them.

I always thought Allen was a good back with speed, moves, and power, but I think he fumbles a bit more than a feature back should.

I went to check on this and couldn't find season fumble stats anywhere where it's easy to find them.  Does anyone know where to get the giant PDF stats dumps for last year?  The ones they give the broadcasters?

Just now, johnzo said:

I always thought Allen was a good back with speed, moves, and power, but I think he fumbles a bit more than a feature back should.

I went to check on this and couldn't find season fumble stats anywhere where it's easy to find them.  Does anyone know where to get the giant PDF stats dumps for last year?  The ones they give the broadcasters?

Thats some thing you can often work out with coaching and reps. Blink used to be fumble prone too.

https://stats.cfldb.ca/

is that what you were looking for?

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Was reading some of the reports from training camp over on RF ... their defense is getting whooped on a regular basis - especially in coverage. Not a good thing for a Kevin Glenn offense.

Has there ever been a guy who was successful at being a GM, head coach, and coordinator all at the same time? That to me is the single biggest mistake that Jones is making, trying to do too much at once and it's showing in recruiting and on D especially.

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

Has there ever been a guy who was successful at being a GM, head coach, and coordinator all at the same time? That to me is the single biggest mistake that Jones is making, trying to do too much at once and it's showing in recruiting and on D especially.

And it's funny to see fans in the rectangle province dump on Chamblin to this day for thinking too highly of himself, while in the same breath defending Jones for doing literally the same thing.

2 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I want to say at one point don mathews was doing DC, gm and hc duties. 

I think HC and GM is too many hats for one person to do ideally. It does happen successfully, its the way buono prefers to do it. Back in the hay day of ritchie and the don they did it too. But i think it can allways been done better by 2 people. 

Some Co jobs are a bit different too. For instance a guy like AC called his own plays for a long time. IF you are the OC in a system like that, and the HC its not as big a deal. Some HCs micro manage play calls on one or both sides of the ball as well. If  you wear those hats, you have to have a great support system around you of coaches, scouts, and front office types and do a great job of having those people do what you are weak at and dont have time for.  

9 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

And it's funny to see fans in the rectangle province dump on Chamblin to this day for thinking too highly of himself, while in the same breath defending Jones for doing literally the same thing.

Although maybe a bit premature to talk about errors before his team is on the field and actually playing games.  But I'll be surprised if they have anything more than a few isolated sparks of success in 2017, I'm getting the feeling they're facing a nightmare of MackBurkian proportions there. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I want to say at one point don mathews was doing DC, gm and hc duties. 

I think HC and GM is too many hats for one person to do ideally. It does happen successfully, its the way buono prefers to do it. Back in the hay day of ritchie and the don they did it too. But i think it can allways been done better by 2 people. 

Some Co jobs are a bit different too. For instance a guy like AC called his own plays for a long time. IF you are the OC in a system like that, and the HC its not as big a deal. Some HCs micro manage play calls on one or both sides of the ball as well. If  you wear those hats, you have to have a great support system around you of coaches, scouts, and front office types and do a great job of having those people do what you are weak at and dont have time for.  

I think it depends entirely on who you have as part of your staff and how much work is delegated. He can have all the labels he wants but if he's trying to do ALL of those jobs, then I don't think it works. 

There are not enough hours in the day do all the work that Walters does and all the work that O'Shea does.