Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

6 minutes ago, tracker said:

I think the knock on Durant in the last couple of years with the Riders was his brittleness and poor supporting cast. It seemed to me that during that same stretch, Durant got really beaten up, mentally and physically and lost a good deal of his competitive fire. It was probably time for him to move on, but I have my doubts that Glenn or Bennett are going to lead the team to the Promised Land. Glenn needs an extra count or two plus darned good receivers but if he gets hit, he gets rattled. Bennett- who knows?

I agree with most of this. Glenn will have time behind the line and does have great receivers. Will he lead us to the cup, nope. Is he going to have a good year, absolutely.

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If you are worried Durant is too old and too brittle and maybe lost the mental edge then why in gods name is Kevin Glenn the replacement? Durant is better than Glenn at everything so that change is just mind bottlingly stupid. 

Glenn has been durable over his career. Glenn signed the contract that Durant wouldn't, to be the mentor and future backup. Durant got a offer from the team, he was not run out of town. Durant wanted his money and to be the starter, he got both in Montreal. Glenn will start out of the gate and we will go from there.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

In my books 87% = giddy

In any case, it shows the majority of fans polled support getting him back on the team. I don't believe in karma but I sure hope it has something in store for Cox. He's a piece of garbage.

45 minutes ago, Mike said:

hehe I tricked you

Doesn't take much with a greenie. ;)

11 minutes ago, tracker said:

I think the knock on Durant in the last couple of years with the Riders was his brittleness and poor supporting cast. It seemed to me that during that same stretch, Durant got really beaten up, mentally and physically and lost a good deal of his competitive fire. It was probably time for him to move on, but I have my doubts that Glenn or Bennett are going to lead the team to the Promised Land. Glenn needs an extra count or two plus darned good receivers but if he gets hit, he gets rattled. Bennett- who knows?

Can't expect solid QBing when the O-line meant to protect him and give him time to make his reads is a disaster. Look at the Bombers before last season to see what I mean: lousy O-lines and unproven/inexperienced QBs.

A solid O-line with depth goes such a long way in having success on offense. That's only exacerbated when the QBing isn't up to par. But even the top QBs in the game can't do their jobs without having a competent group of hogs in front on them.

10 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I agree 100% that DD should have been gone right away when Jones took over to not have this drag out, if that's what he wanted anyway.  Personally I would have kept DD one more year also. I never said our defense would be great, but it will be better. Oline will be better. Running game will be better. We will win more than 5 games, I'll stick with the 8 I predicted. You don't have to have Bo Levi Mitchell to win 8-10 games, good example is Nichols. Bombers won 11 games with a coach that was likely one more loss from getting fired(my opinion) at the time. Glenn is consistent in there and you know it, he also has a great group of receivers to throw too, arguably the best in the league (my opinion). I feel our record will be better than last year, even though many here are hoping it is not.

How can you say every facet WILL be better?

You hope it'll be better.

Big difference.

I don't think he will get the time behind that line...initially....and he has zero escapability now so will take a pounding...and we all know how he plays when that is happening.

If he gets hurt early...you're hooped

And who is he going to be mentoring?? Young? 

Riders should have worked with Durant, brought in 2 more up and comers and went that route. Basically they are setting themselves back 2 years again now, cause if none of the back-ups develop and take the reigns...what you have..Glenn again next year...and new recruits?

11 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I agree 100% that DD should have been gone right away when Jones took over to not have this drag out, if that's what he wanted anyway.  Personally I would have kept DD one more year also. I never said our defense would be great, but it will be better. Oline will be better. Running game will be better. We will win more than 5 games, I'll stick with the 8 I predicted. You don't have to have Bo Levi Mitchell to win 8-10 games, good example is Nichols. Bombers won 11 games with a coach that was likely one more loss from getting fired(my opinion) at the time. Glenn is consistent in there and you know it, he also has a great group of receivers to throw too, arguably the best in the league (my opinion). I feel our record will be better than last year, even though many here are hoping it is not.

Consistently inconsistent :lol: Good luck coming in here with Glenn at QB and trying to win. Glenn will take a couple shots to the mouth and just start throwing up ducks, our dbs will have a field day.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

In my books 87% = giddy

Jones says Cox will not be rejoining the team. As a matter of principle. Now you guys can sign him and take back all the stuff you have said and be all giddy your selves

32 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Letting Durant go was a screw up? Its funny you like him now, you bashed him relentlessly when he played for us. Secondly our record this year will dictate whether it was a mistake or not. I know its fun laughing at the Riders for you, its in every post you make, but we are going to be a lot better this year on defense and that will show in our record.

Time will tell. As team and Jones fans appear to be bailing on Young that leaves Glenn who hasnt been a viable winnable QB in at least two years. He is not an improvement. 

Dont recall bashing Durant. If I was critical it was due to the god like pillar Rider fans put him on right up to the instant Jones corrected everyone with that thinking. Why so many fell obediently in line with him is another question

10 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I agree with most of this. Glenn will have time behind the line and does have great receivers. Will he lead us to the cup, nope. Is he going to have a good year, absolutely.

Based on what, though? Glenn hasn't a "good year" since his he was with the Stampeders.

12 minutes ago, Ripper said:

True with any team in the league wouldn't you say?

I think BC, Edm, Wpg and T.O could fare okay..They all have guys who have started and have had some success..Possibly even Ott with Tate there

Also from what I have observed I think Davis in Wpg would mamage their offence more than capably..

15 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Jones says Cox will not be rejoining the team. As a matter of principle. Now you guys can sign him and take back all the stuff you have said and be all giddy your selves

Why would the Bombers even consider that...? The secondary is the least of their concern. You seem upset by making such a silly comment.

Where did Jones say Cox will not be rejoining the team, BTW?

Edited by blue_gold_84

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Why would the Bombers even consider that...? The secondary is the least of their concern. You seem upset.

Where did Jones say Cox will not be rejoining the team?

t_2kAbBz_bigger.jpg Arielle Zerr @arielle_zerr

Chris Jones says no matter what the league decides on his ban Justin Cox will not be back with the #Riders.

Jones referenced having daughters of his own. Says it's a matter of principle for him and the team not to have him back. #Riders

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Why would the Bombers even consider that...? The secondary is the least of their concern. You seem upset by making such a silly comment.

Where did Jones say Cox will not be rejoining the team, BTW?

I have to applaud Jones for this, good on him.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

21 minutes ago, Ripper said:

It was the right move by Jones and the Org. I'll give them props for that. Absolutely no reason why we would sign him tho. I don't think he's the type of 'character' Oshea goes for regardless of talent

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

t_2kAbBz_bigger.jpg Arielle Zerr @arielle_zerr

Chris Jones says no matter what the league decides on his ban Justin Cox will not be back with the #Riders.

Jones referenced having daughters of his own. Says it's a matter of principle for him and the team not to have him back. #Riders

Such a stand up guy. :rolleyes:

Edited by Gotmilt

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

It was the right move by Jones and the Org. I'll give them props for that. Absolutely no reason why we would sign him tho. I don't think he's the type of 'character' Oshea goes for regardless of talent

I'd imagine that's the case league-wide. Cox has a history of crap, anyway. His lack of character and decency are enough to put his career in football in jeopardy, if not end it altogether. I'd like to think the league itself just slams the door in his face.

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I know you wouldn't sign him and I am glad about that. I guess that was a bit of  a unfounded comment by me. I was in defense mode so I fired a scud by accident. Friendly fire incident