Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

Bryan Bennett was 4th on the depth chart and because of that was automatically a free agent at the end of the season.  He chose to sign with the Riders.  

The Bombers only option to not being on the PR would be to list a player on the IR with a phantom injury.  They needed Dominiqu Davis and Kevin Glenn active for the West Semi Final.

Bits and Pieces

Farhan Laljii

Wally loves him some Junior Luke, "he's as impressive a 1st round pick as we've had here in a very, very, very long time" @BCLions @CFLonTSN

CFL News

Behind him (Glenn) however, the battle between Bryan Bennett, Brandon Bridge and Vince Young is dead-even. - @rodpedersen #CFL #Riders

-MRI reveals no major injury for Durant - CFL.ca @CFL cfl.ca/2017/05/31/rep… #CFL #LCF #AlsMTL

-I think #Redblacks probably an 11 win team, good enough to battle #Ticats for 1st in the East. - @AJonSports #CFL via @TattiAndMarsh

-on Bear Woods - “We’ve talked & we’ve also offered. I’m sure his agent’s trying to talk to all teams & shop him around." - Popp #CFL via @SeanFitz_Gerald

-Alouettes
National offensive lineman Jake Piotrowski announced his retirement from professional football on Wednesday morning. The 25-year-old appeared in 49 games over three seasons in the CFL, all with the Alouettes. International defensive tackle Tyler Kuder also decided to call it a career on Wednesday.

-Intra-squad game on Saturday!

-After having undergone MRI imaging and further examination by our medical staff, it appears that Darian did not suffer a major injury. His return timetable will be evaluated on a daily basis.”

Argos

One player worth watching during camp is McLeod Bethel-Thompson, 

-Drew Willy will be the odds-on favourite to be second on the depth chart, though nothing is a given.

-Toronto Argonaut linebacker Winston Venable has informed the club that he is retiring from football effective immediately

-The following players have RETIRED:

NAT OL Samuel Narkaj

Stamps

The Stamps added national defensive lineman Michael Klassen on Wednesday.

14 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Did Willy re-work his contract or is he going to be a very highly paid back up?

Re-worked almost immediately after getting to Toronto last year, I believe...

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎31 at 10:45 AM, Zontar said:

All the more bizarre is Rider fans should know this. Glenn has a huge resume that every CFL fan has seen especially his diminishing play. How so many have been bamboozled into thinking hes an equal replacement is frankly baffling

Do you honestly think we don't know what we have in Glenn? The question is can we win games with him at qb. We can and will. Kevin Glenn is not anyone's first choice including ours. He signed the contract that DD wouldn't, to be the starter and move to backup later on, which he will do

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎31 at 9:20 AM, 17to85 said:

I don't think Nichols is any kind of top tier qb or anything, he's good enough to win with if the team around him is playing well, but here is the major difference between Nichols and Glenn.... Nichols showed some real leadership with the Bombers last season where as Kevin Glenn is in no way shape or form a leader of any kind, that coupled with his age and declining skills makes me skeptical he's going to be any screaming hell in a place like Saskatchewan. 

Some good points here and I agree. The only one I disagree with is how Glenn's season will go, he will do fine in his starts. He will ****** a defeat out of the jaws of a victory some where along the way with a pick 6 but overall his numbers will be good and our record will be better. The last two seasons our defense has been embarrassing to say the least. I believe our defense will be better and that will help us win some games.

16 hours ago, do or die said:

Glenn has been the penciled starter from Day 1........this Vince Young stuff is pure gas......and too many Rider fans have been inhaling the fumes.

I'm not sure Young will make it out of camp. For the record, signing Young in the first place was a dumb move. Bennett will be the backup I think so you guys will get to see what you missed out on. He is very mobile and moves around good, I'm interested to see him play next week

12 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Do you honestly think we don't know what we have in Glenn? The question is can we win games with him at qb. We can and will. Kevin Glenn is not anyone's first choice including ours. He signed the contract that DD wouldn't, to be the starter and move to backup later on, which he will do

You think a guy who is winning games will be moved to backup?

14 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Perfect assessment of Kevin Glenn.  With even a reasonable team around him, he will produce.  His career summary will likely be "one of the very best you-could-do-a-lot-worse QB's in the history of the CFL."

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

You think a guy who is winning games will be moved to backup?

If he is winning consistently he will not be moved. If he is sputtering during games he will be swapped out here and there. If he flat out sucks he will sit. I think basically he starts the year in number one spot and its his to lose. For the record, I am not a big fan of Glenn's. I do however believe you don't need Tom Brady to win football games. Are we a cup contender with Glenn at the helm, no one believes that other than a few crazies.

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

If he is winning consistently he will not be moved. If he is sputtering during games he will be swapped out here and there. If he flat out sucks he will sit. I think basically he starts the year in number one spot and its his to lose. For the record, I am not a big fan of Glenn's. I do however believe you don't need Tom Brady to win football games. Are we a cup contender with Glenn at the helm, no one believes that other than a few crazies.

"...a few crazies."   Hmm, this is Saskatchewan, how many could there be? 

Sorry, dumb question.

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

That's the thing, Kevin Glenn will look very competent at times and put up some nice numbers, but that's not the same as putting W's up on the board. Reality is he's not very good at doing that.

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

That's the thing, Kevin Glenn will look very competent at times and put up some nice numbers, but that's not the same as putting W's up on the board. Reality is he's not very good at doing that.

totally agree.

9 minutes ago, Ripper said:

5 years ago he isn't here because of DD. that was then and this is now

yeah and now Kevin Glenn is a 37 year old qb who has been in decline for several years so I dunno what point you're trying to make here. With Durant you got a chance if he stays healthy to actually win games, with Glenn best case scenario is being mediocre at best on offense. 

18 hours ago, tracker said:

If Bennett didn't think he could beat Nichols out in a fair matchup, we are well rid of him and both he and the Riders deserve each other. If Bennett saw that O'Shea would keep starting Nichols no matter what, that would concern me. We seen that movie before.

yea because Nichols was so horrible for us last season??

:rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Probably because winning is a team accomplishment. A good QB can put up solid numbers but if the team as a whole stinks, they'll lose more than they win. When Glenn's had a good supporting cast, he's managed to put up some solid numbers (2004 - 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013). However, I don't think that'll be the case this season and his age only worsens the situation.

Jones has mismanaged his QB situation terribly. The drop-off after Glenn is staggering.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Probably because winning is a team accomplishment. A good QB can put up solid numbers but if the team as a whole stinks, they'll lose more than they win. When Glenn's had a good supporting cast, he's managed to put up some solid numbers (2004 - 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013). However, I don't think that'll be the case this season and his age only worsens the situation.

Jones has mismanaged his QB situation terribly. The drop-off after Glenn is staggering.

Staggering?  interesting that you are sure your backups are so much better than ours. Guess we'll see won't we

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Staggering?  interesting that you are sure your backups are so much better than ours. Guess we'll see won't we

Stellar deflection. I guess that's all you can hope for when you don't have a counterpoint, eh. But okay, I'll bite. The Bombers have a backup with CFL experience (LeFevour). Can't say the same for your boys in green.

Nichols - Davis - LeFevour

Glenn - Bennett - Young

It doesn't take much to see which trio is better.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Stellar deflection. I guess that's all you can hope for when you don't have a counterpoint, eh. But okay, I'll bite. The Bombers have a backup with CFL experience (LeFevour). Can't say the same for your boys in green.

Nichols - Davis - LeFevour

Glenn - Bennett - Young

It doesn't take much to see which trio is better.

Davis unproven, lefevour proven to be bad.  Bennett unproven, Bridge unproven, Young unproven and probably cut.

As a outsider looking in I find it interesting that Nichols gets so much credit for your season last year when IMO it was the defense that did the job. Nichols didn't hurt you and did have some good games but that's about it. As I have said before, I like where the Bombers are at and where they are headed but still don't feel you have a top tier qb.  But they don't grow on tree's so a team needs to find someone they can win with and someone the players believe in, you have both of those covered with Nichols