Bombers Training Camp 2017 - May 28

Mr Dee

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

disagree on the bolded......JFG doing JFG things is more than adequate. Our REC corps is just fine......if we magically came into a superstar NI Rec, that's fine, but it's absolutely not a desperate necessity, based on how we structure our roster.

Disagree.  Fine if JFG stays healthy and performs.  We have two "playmaker" spots to fill every down with NI's on offence.  We have no depth.  It's a problem.  Presumably we'll want to use a DI and we'll need a NI to sub in.  Presumably JFG or Harris will be injured at some point.  They absolutely will not play every snap.  Normand and Coates is all we got.  Not good or deep.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Disagree.  Fine if JFG stays healthy and performs.  We have two "playmaker" spots to fill every down with NI's on offence.  We have no depth.  It's a problem.  Presumably we'll want to use a DI and we'll need a NI to sub in.  Presumably JFG or Harris will be injured at some point.  They absolutely will not play every snap.  Normand and Coates is all we got.  Not good or deep.

Certainly one of the biggest holes on our team. But one of the least important as well. Its not how i wish things were. I wish we had a 1k a year ni wr and 4 impact imp wrs. We have ni flexibility, for instance if an OL goes down its a pretty good chance a NI steps in. If a DL goes down, a NI goes in. Hurl is a threat to steal back the mlb job. The amount we use RBs if we had to go half a game with normand i wouldnt lose sleep. Harris is a plus performer no doubt. But we go away from the run for long periods as is and hes left blocking. 

At this point im hoping one of our NI wrs can step up and be good jfg quality as a back up. But im not holding my breath on it. And im certainly not holding my breath at this point on us having a 1k ni wr in the near future. 

Our Canadian receiver would be the guy who is the 5th option maybe even 6th option. No way he'd get even close to 1000 yards. I'm not sure why this debate happens even.. it's almost like people have this old school NI need to be OL and Receivers only when in reality NI now play and Excell at every position in the CFL but QB 

14 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm at the point where I don't even get excited about new receivers anymore. Walters has done some awesome things and our scouts have brought in some great talent.

We can't find receivers.

TJ Thorpe is about the most optimistic I've been on a guy. But even then ... already hurt.

This L'Damian fella, he sounds good on paper ... but so did Jace Davis and Ja'Mes Logan and Lavasier Tuinei and Toney Clemons and Mario Urrutia and Donavon Kemp. It never seems to work out.

Gotta agree with you on this post. 

So far, none of the new receivers have stood out for me. Thorpe and Duncan showed flashes prior to getting injured, and Peterson made a nice catch today, but not much to get too excited about. Thankfully the vets have looked really good. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why is it other teams can find & build an impressive receiving corps yet we don't seem to be able to do it? If we had anything close to what they have in Calgary, BC, Ottawa or Edmonton we'd be a powerhouse offensively.

I think it's a product of having veteran mainstays to build around - now that the Bombers have that - scouting and drafting can provide the prospects to keep building. 

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

JFG was another receiver who looked really fast and smooth today.  For at least ten minutes.  He might have royally sucked after I left.

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Certainly one of the biggest holes on our team. But one of the least important as well. Its not how i wish things were. I wish we had a 1k a year ni wr and 4 impact imp wrs. We have ni flexibility, for instance if an OL goes down its a pretty good chance a NI steps in. If a DL goes down, a NI goes in. Hurl is a threat to steal back the mlb job. The amount we use RBs if we had to go half a game with normand i wouldnt lose sleep. Harris is a plus performer no doubt. But we go away from the run for long periods as is and hes left blocking. 

At this point im hoping one of our NI wrs can step up and be good jfg quality as a back up. But im not holding my breath on it. And im certainly not holding my breath at this point on us having a 1k ni wr in the near future. 

The way the ratio works you'd have to replace the injured NI on offence in game.  We'd lose a ton of flexibility, don't really want to sit down Bond if Harris or JFG come up lame.  Already lose some if we are dressing guys we don't really want to play in terms of DI's and sub packages.  Another NI receiver who can play is absolutely necessary.  Taking this discussion to "1k" receivers is absurd.

I said it last year and I'm sticking with it this year. I think JFG can fill the position nicely. The guy plays hard, and has always made the clutch catch. How many times has he scored/caught a pass when the O absolutely needed too? More than any other NI on our team in recent memory. Coates is having a decent camp according to some, and if that kid from Junior ball can develop, the coaches may think that they're already set.

FEOLI!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bigblue204

ICYMI

Darrin Bauming: - Clarence Denmark, again today (Tues), on the receiving end of some deep shots from Nichols and LeFevour. Denmark having a very strong camp so far

Blue Bombers - "I'm hungry, I just want to get back on the field & work for my teammates. Especially my D-linemen." - Tristan Okpalaugo - Full video ▶️ | ow.ly/VVHD30caAfi

Tait - Standing out: WR Darvin Adams, DE Tristan Okpalaugo, DB/LB Roc Carmichael, LB Thomas Miles, RB Andrew Harris, DB Derek Jones, QB Matt Nichols, DB Sam Brown.

I would say this: in my experience with him, he’s (QB Matt Nichols) as smart as anybody in the room," said Bombers offensive co-ordinator Paul LaPolice. "He is someone who as a backup took every rep at 100 miles an hour. One of the reasons he’s a starter in the league is because of his preparation."

Jermarcus Hardrick on Matt Nichols  - "I’m 300 pounds and my skin shakes. That’s just what I love, that look in his eyes with that cocky swagger. He’s saying, ‘Let’s go to work.’"

Standing out: Players who popped off the page Wednesday included WR Julian Feoli-Gudino, DB T.J. Heath, safety Derek Jones, RB Timothy Flanders, LB Jovan Santos-Knox, OL Patrick Neufeld and DT Faith Ekakitie

Blue Bombers - "(Timothy Flanders) has everything you want in a CFL running back... it's a great relationship." A Harris

xRoc Carmichael 

His two-year hiatus ended after he attended a workout by a CFL team in the area, just to watch some people he knew try out. A scout approached him, asking if it was true he was coming out of retirement.

The scout was Ted Goveia, assistant GM of the Bombers.

Carmichael already had a connection to Winnipeg: former Virginia Tech teammate and friend Macho Harris, who played here last year. -

Edited by Mr Dee

14 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Darrin Bauming: - Clarence Denmark, again today (Tues), on the receiving end of some deep shots from Nichols and LeFevour. Denmark having a very strong camp so far

Standing out: Players who popped off the page Wednesday included WR Julian Feoli-Gudino, DB T.J. Heath, safety Derek Jones, RB Timothy Flanders, LB Jovan Santos-Knox, OL Patrick Neufeld and DT Faith Ekakitie

Point 1.... Denmark, this guy just keeps impressing... hard to imagine we released him last year... and so did Sask...

Point 2... Derek Jones... looking like he might be the steal of the 2014 draft... not saying he's a super star, but any time you can get a productive player in the 4th round... that's a great pick... 

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

Point 1.... Denmark, this guy just keeps impressing... hard to imagine we released him last year... and so did Sask...

Point 2... Derek Jones... looking like he might be the steal of the 2014 draft... not saying he's a super star, but any time you can get a productive player in the 4th round... that's a great pick... 

One might argue Thomas Miles taken in the 5th round was the steal of the draft.

18 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

TBH i'm just a little upset we waited until the 6th round to take a Canadian receiver.

In the CFL draft, after 2nd/3rd rounds you have to take best player available. You can no longer just use team needs to determine who you draft. Or you're going to draft a bunch of Henrys early and miss out of Spooners/lofflers etc.

22 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

Glad I'm not alone in this assessment

I want one of those. I will drop some hints to the family. Perfect for balding nerds everywhere. Perfect for people who don't have to wear a  hard hat and get smacked around all day.