Canadian Politics

14 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It is right now for sure, but I don't see Wab Kinew having a long reign as premier. 

From what I have heard people in the party asked him to step away from the race and wait for a later time. The PCs wanted to throw Stefanson out as the sacrificial lamb first. Anyone taking over from Pallister was going to be starting way behind the 8 ball because the pandemic was a tough road for all governments and especially in Manitoba where our health care problems really had a light shined on them,

If correct, it's odd then that he would turn around and then dump on the party for the way the leadership race was handled and the way they are running government.    He could have bowed out of the leadership race for the same reasons he gave (not enough time to mount a serious campaign) without throwing the party under the bus.

I agree that anyone would have had a tough time stepping in during the pandemic, but Gillingham seems like the anti-Pallister, in that he seems to be thoughtful and considerate.  A leader like him could have potentially turned things around for the party but instead you get a completely out of touch Stefanson who has only further eroded their support.  

9 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

If correct, it's odd then that he would turn around and then dump on the party for the way the leadership race was handled and the way they are running government.    He could have bowed out of the leadership race for the same reasons he gave (not enough time to mount a serious campaign) without throwing the party under the bus.

I agree that anyone would have had a tough time stepping in during the pandemic, but Gillingham seems like the anti-Pallister, in that he seems to be thoughtful and considerate.  A leader like him could have potentially turned things around for the party but instead you get a completely out of touch Stefanson who has only further eroded their support.  

If you believe someone could turn it around, I suppose you are right. I am not sure there was time enough to do it. Throwing the party under the bus is exactly what he needed to do. Therefore, he will be seen as an agent for change both within but most importantly from outside the party. 

Also, I believe he had to get his profile up a little higher so that he is a household name not just an up and comer when he makes his run. 

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

The problem Gillingham will face if and when he runs for PC leadership is that he is far too moderate and centrist for most of the conservative base.  Just look at the trend of the politically right and imagine what it will look like in 4 years.

There is a small percentage of right-wing (and left-wing) nuts who would elect Donald Trump even he was serving a life sentence for strangling a nun .in public. Maybe, just maybe, sanity will return to the extremists. The problem is that when people are functioning in rigid ideation, challenges to those behaviours are typically met with an exaggeration of those behaviours.

7 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Actually, got 27% of the 37% of the eligible voters who actually voted. Basically has the support of 10% of Manitobans right now. 

Not quite. A pig wearing a blue PC sticker could win the rural ridings. No votes ever need to be won in many of the rural ridings and they could lose a substantial amount of rural support (they won't because NDP = devil) and still not even sweat. The smart play by the PC party is to focus on Winnipeg moderates that actually have a chance of swinging back/to PC votes.

38 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Not quite. A pig wearing a blue PC sticker could win the rural ridings. No votes ever need to be won in many of the rural ridings and they could lose a substantial amount of rural support (they won't because NDP = devil) and still not even sweat. The smart play by the PC party is to focus on Winnipeg moderates that actually have a chance of swinging back/to PC votes.

Sorry, I meant Winnipeggers. 

3 hours ago, JCon said:

You will be shocked to find out this scheme came from the right. 

They're so disgusting, nothing is even a surprises anymore. In fact, it's becoming so common place for the right, their corruption and bad faith don't even register anymore. Just the sickest people. 

Trump has more acolytes here in Canada than we hoped. Sad and sick comment on the Alberta right wing. 

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

This is interesting.  The notwithstanding clause has a time limit of 5 years

So, what happens to the contract when the notwithstanding clauses no longer applies?

Usually they are retroactive until a new deal is negotiated, but I don't think that's possible in this case

I'd have to do more research so might be wrong but believe Ontario tried to impose contracts before, got taken to court and lost. Feel like this is headed the same way.

18 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

This is interesting.  The notwithstanding clause has a time limit of 5 years

So, what happens to the contract when the notwithstanding clauses no longer applies?

Usually they are retroactive until a new deal is negotiated, but I don't think that's possible in this case

Ford must have a LOT of dirty laundry he does not want aired in the hearings. 

46 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd have to do more research so might be wrong but believe Ontario tried to impose contracts before, got taken to court and lost. Feel like this is headed the same way.

The same thing happened in BC, a few years ago

It went all the way to the Supreme Court  & the teachers' union won

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Don't trust any government. 

The attitude that gets 37% of Winnipeggers to the Municipal polls and 43.5% of Ontario voters to the provincial polls.

17 hours ago, Mark H. said:

The same thing happened in BC, a few years ago

It went all the way to the Supreme Court  & the teachers' union won

And Palliser chickened out on wage freeze legislation and now the Conservatives are doling out millions in back pay.

7 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The attitude that gets 37% of Winnipeggers to the Municipal polls and 43.5% of Ontario voters to the provincial polls.

And Palliser chickened out on wage freeze legislation and now the Conservatives are doling out millions in back pay.

I have voted in every civic, provincial & federal election in Manitoba & Alberta since I turned 18. I'm 67 now. I'll always vote as that is my democratic right which I take seriously. Things have changed. I've seen good governments turn bad. Politicians & governments aren't accountable anymore. It doesn't matter what political spectrum they are.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/convoy-protest-testify-emergencies-act-inquiry-1.6635579

These convoy scumbags testifying today... What absolute ******* losers.

That ought to be a circus for these cretins to strut and bloviate. A waste of time and money and I hope they get trashed on cross.

8 minutes ago, Tracker said:

That ought to be a circus for these cretins to strut and bloviate. A waste of time and money and I hope they get trashed on cross.

A lot of Canadians support them. This just gives them more credibility with their supporters. Most Canadians didn't like the convoy protest & the ugly way they behaved. But they do feel their freedoms were taken away. They didn't protest but were unhappy. Maybe the numbers are in the millions.

I supported the restrictions at the time. Especially before we had vaccines. People who wouldn't wear masks were crazy. Wearing a mask doesn't take away anyone's freedoms. I was okay with vaccine passports as well. However, those days are gone, Now, if you want to get a Covid booster it's up to you. I doubt if restrictions will ever come back. 

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

A lot of Canadians support them. This just gives them more credibility with their supporters. Most Canadians didn't like the convoy protest & the ugly way they behaved. But they do feel their freedoms were taken away. They didn't protest but were unhappy. Maybe the numbers are in the millions.

I supported the restrictions at the time. Especially before we had vaccines. People who wouldn't wear masks were crazy. Wearing a mask doesn't take away anyone's freedoms. I was okay with vaccine passports as well. However, those days are gone, Now, if you want to get a Covid booster it's up to you. I doubt if restrictions will ever come back. 

The problem was that there was confusion over what was a right (freedom) vs what was a privilege.  Being able to go into a private business is a privilege, and being required to wear a mask to exercise that privilege is not a violation of anyone's rights.  None of the restrictions took away anyone's rights, it may have limited their privileges, but that was based on their choices (ie. not wearing a mask or not getting vax'd).  Choices have consequences, and losing a privilege is not a loss of rights or freedom.