Canadian Politics

21 minutes ago, WildPath said:

As did Stefanson in Manitoba. The same pattern for all of them - demand action privately, criticize publicly to win political points. Morons accept their narrative without question then mindlessly repeat F Trudeau... - Manitoba premier trying 'to have it both ways' in messaging on border protests: political observers | CBC News

In a Feb. 11 letter, Heather Stefanson urged Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to take "immediate and effective action" to deal with a border blockade that began at the Emerson, Man., crossing a day earlier.

Stefanson's letter to Trudeau warned of "dangers" and "hardships" the Emerson blockade would impose on Manitobans, and said the situation would "require the reasoned and balanced national leadership that only you and the federal government can provide."

Days later, she publicly opposed his invocation of emergency legislation giving the federal government greater power to intervene against such protests.

Yet another example of choosing power over principle.

come on down to beautiful Vancouver island. 

“Statistics Canada showing the volume and severity of police-reported crime in Victoria in 2021 was once again well above the provincial average and that of Vancouver.

“The numbers don’t lie,” said Manak, noting the annual crime severity index paints a picture of a small municipal police force being strained by its circumstances.”

There are entire city blocks now completely taken over by tweakers and other types of drug addicts. They stab a lot, also, start fires.

Edited by Mark F

14 hours ago, Tracker said:

Yet another example of choosing power over principle.

Yet another example of no consequences for bad behaviour.

Tell them at the ballot box is laughable for them.

This is the world we live in, consistently spew lies and half truths virtually and in-person, contradict yourself over and over again, demonstrate blatant hypocrisy wherever you go while successfully accruing capital, status and influence. 

8 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

This is the world we live in, consistently spew lies and half truths virtually and in-person, contradict yourself over and over again, demonstrate blatant hypocrisy wherever you go while successfully accruing capital, status and influence. 

But people elect them... ok not Heather but cons are only in charge cuz ppl voted them in. 

8 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It works because...the alternative is to elect the NDP...in perpetuity...

12 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It's a constant cycle of cons for couples terms then NDP then Cons and so on.. 

Liberals aren't an option here in Manitoba. It's unfortunate nobody else is really an option here. 

Edited by Goalie

5 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I find this a weird statement in our latest reality. Maybe in a sane world I get what you’re saying. But in the environment we currently live in now, supporting this type of thing has nothing to do with political ideology, it has to do with who you are as a person. Sorry I know it’s harsh and judgemental to say but it’s true.

4 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I find this a weird statement in our latest reality. Maybe in a sane world I get what you’re saying. But in the environment we currently live in now, supporting this type of thing has nothing to do with political ideology, it has to do with who you are as a person. Sorry I know it’s harsh and judgemental to say but it’s true.

It's also part of current reality, that's all I was saying.

8 hours ago, Tracker said:

And the problem with that is................?

The fact that it won't happen.

8 hours ago, Mark H. said:

It's also part of current reality, that's all I was saying.

The fact that it won't happen.

Yea I guess the weird part is implying they are voting for lunacy because the alternative is NDP. Nope I would argue it’s not they are voting for lunacy because the alternative is NDP, they are voting for lunacy because that’s they’re color. They’re not holding their nose, they are breathing it fully in.

12 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yea I guess the weird part is implying they are voting for lunacy because the alternative is NDP. Nope I would argue it’s not they are voting for lunacy because the alternative is NDP, they are voting for lunacy because that’s they’re color. They’re not holding their nose, they are breathing it fully in.

I am not implying it, I know it happens.  There were plenty of people who regretted voting blue after 2016, but they still did, and they probably will again

Often, it simply a case of being tired of whoever is in power

It's the same with the current federal Liberals. People who voted for them the first time or even the second - are starting to drift away

The fence sitters swing elections, not the diehards.

7 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I am not implying it, I know it happens.  There were plenty of people who regretted voting blue after 2016, but they still did, and they probably will again

Often, it simply a case of being tired of whoever is in power

It's the same with the current federal Liberals. People who voted for them the first time or even the second - are starting to drift away

The fence sitters swing elections, not the diehards.

But where you and I part ways is, and I’ve seen it myself different from your experience, a lot of these ‘fence sitters’ aren’t fence sitters, they pretend to be but they aren’t. This current reality has people hiding behind this ruse of fence sitting while voting for this craziness because that’s who they are ultimately and they don’t want anyone to know not because it’s an alternative to the NDP and Liberals

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

But where you and I part ways is, and I’ve seen it myself different from your experience, a lot of these ‘fence sitters’ aren’t fence sitters, they pretend to be but they aren’t. This current reality has people hiding behind this ruse of fence sitting while voting for this craziness because that’s who they are ultimately and they don’t want anyone to know not because it’s an alternative to the NDP and Liberals

Ok. I dare say we'll find out in the next couple years. I think PP might get a slim minority, but no more than that. 

On 2022-11-10 at 6:05 PM, JCon said:

Cons love to make messes, blame others and leave when it's time to clean up. It's their motto. 

"Conservative leadership candidate Pierre Poilievre said Monday a government led by him would do more to normalize cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and ethereum in Canada to "decentralize" the economy and reduce the influence of central bankers. 

Since bitcoin's advent in 2009, a number of right-leaning and libertarian-minded investors have championed cryptocurrency — a financial instrument that is largely unregulated in the Western world — as a way to reduce government control over money because the supply of cryptocurrency tokens is not set by an authority like the Bank of Canada or the U.S. Federal Reserve."

and

"Sh*tstorm.” “Insane.” “Chaos.”

Those are terms crypto investors and pundits have used to describe the failure of FTX, which was launched in 2019 by Sam Bankman-Fried, a 30-year-old wunderkind once hailed as a modern-day J.P. Morgan.

The company was valued at $32 billion in its latest funding round, and had recruited high-profile backers including SoftBank, Tiger Global, Singapore’s Temasek, as well as celebrities like Tom Brady, Gisele Bündchen and Naomi Osaka. Its name is on the arena where the Miami Heat play.

This week, investor Sequoia Capital said it had marked the value of its FTX stake down to $0. The exchange — said to be short between $8 billion and $10 billion — was unable to meet customers’ withdrawal demands. Bankman-Fried resigned Friday and FTX filed for bankruptcy protection in the United States after a bailout from rival Binance fell through."

and

Forbes:

"BitcoinBTC -5%, ethereum and other major cryptocurrencies have gone into freefall this week due to the stunning collapse of crypto exchange FTX—with the "horror story" perhaps just getting started.

The bitcoin price has fallen to lows not seen for two years, wiping out all of its Covid-era gains, and erasing more than $200 billion from the combined price of bitcoin, ethereum and others (despite JPMorgan making a big bet on crypto). "

maybe a reporter could ask Pierre about this.

Edited by Mark F

57 minutes ago, Mark F said:

"Conservative leadership candidate Pierre Poilievre said Monday a government led by him would do more to normalize cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and ethereum in Canada to "decentralize" the economy and reduce the influence of central bankers. 

Since bitcoin's advent in 2009, a number of right-leaning and libertarian-minded investors have championed cryptocurrency — a financial instrument that is largely unregulated in the Western world — as a way to reduce government control over money because the supply of cryptocurrency tokens is not set by an authority like the Bank of Canada or the U.S. Federal Reserve."

and

"Sh*tstorm.” “Insane.” “Chaos.”

Those are terms crypto investors and pundits have used to describe the failure of FTX, which was launched in 2019 by Sam Bankman-Fried, a 30-year-old wunderkind once hailed as a modern-day J.P. Morgan.

The company was valued at $32 billion in its latest funding round, and had recruited high-profile backers including SoftBank, Tiger Global, Singapore’s Temasek, as well as celebrities like Tom Brady, Gisele Bündchen and Naomi Osaka. Its name is on the arena where the Miami Heat play.

This week, investor Sequoia Capital said it had marked the value of its FTX stake down to $0. The exchange — said to be short between $8 billion and $10 billion — was unable to meet customers’ withdrawal demands. Bankman-Fried resigned Friday and FTX filed for bankruptcy protection in the United States after a bailout from rival Binance fell through."

and

Forbes:

"BitcoinBTC -5%, ethereum and other major cryptocurrencies have gone into freefall this week due to the stunning collapse of crypto exchange FTX—with the "horror story" perhaps just getting started.

The bitcoin price has fallen to lows not seen for two years, wiping out all of its Covid-era gains, and erasing more than $200 billion from the combined price of bitcoin, ethereum and others (despite JPMorgan making a big bet on crypto). "

maybe a reporter could ask Pierre about this.

Poilievre will absolutely deflect any suggest question. That's what stable geniuses do.

more stuff on pierre's big idea.

FTX has been hacked. All funds seem to be gone,” an admin on FTX’s official Telegram channel writes, while also instructing users to delete FTX’s apps and warning against going on the platform’s websites due to the presence of malware. FTX.com and FTX.us are currently down at this time of writing.

Some users on Twitter speculate whether a member of Bankman-Fried’s inner circle drained the exchange’s funds, with crypto sleuth ZachXBT stating “multiple former FTX employees confirmed to me they do not recognize these transfers.”

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Except for preapproved softball ones when being "interviewed" by a trash outlet like The National ****Post.

You mean "The National Compost"?

3 hours ago, JCon said:

All national media, with the exception of the public broadcaster, are owned by right wing entities who prop-up the Cons and do all their apologizing. 

The mega-corporations are essentially apolitical and have no political agenda at all. They are committed to their bottom line- profits and big bonuses for the managers. They will support whomever will help them accomplish that end and the Cons are for sale to the highest bidder. 

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The mega-corporations are essentially apolitical and have no political agenda at all. They are committed to their bottom line- profits and big bonuses for the managers. They will support whomever will help them accomplish that end and the Cons are for sale to the highest bidder. 

Well, I don't buy that. I know that Murdoch was intent on changing the social narrative. They fear when people are educated. They want dumb citizens who hold the wealthy up as our moral leaders. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mps-probe-chinese-interference-elections-1.6651121

A multi-partisan group of MPs on the procedure and House affairs committee agreed Monday to probe claims that the People's Republic of China (PRC) and its agents have interfered in the Canadian political process.

Citing unnamed sources, Global News reported last week that China was behind "a vast campaign of foreign inference" in Canadian politics.

That campaign reportedly included "a clandestine network" of candidates in the 2019 election, a movement to place "agents into the offices of MPs in order to influence policy," an attempt to "co-opt and corrupt former Canadian officials to gain leverage in Ottawa" and a campaign to "punish Canadian politicians whom the People's Republic of China views as threats to its interests."

Global reported that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and some cabinet ministers were briefed by intelligence agencies on these foreign interference allegations in January.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-throne-speech-stefanson-2022-1.6652101

Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson's government will explore using more private partnerships to deliver health care while making multi-year, multibillion-dollar capital investments in hospitals to address the province's health-care crisis, the speech from the throne promises.

Money for camera surveillance in downtown Winnipeg and more support for policing were among the other promises in Stefanson's second throne speech as premier, read Tuesday afternoon at the Manitoba Legislature by new Lt.-Gov. Anita Neville.

The speech attempted to set a renewed course for a Progressive Conservative government that must turn its fortunes around to win the upcoming election in 2023.

Ugh.