Canadian Politics

22 minutes ago, Tracker said:

That ought to be a circus for these cretins to strut and bloviate. A waste of time and money and I hope they get trashed on cross.

I hope they let these dunderheads speak their minds for all the world to see, only then will they be exposed as half-baked-half-wits to their army of supporters, of which few will actually take the time to listen and comprehend that these monkeys don't have a clue how democratic society operates.

15 minutes ago, Sard said:

The problem was that there was confusion over what was a right (freedom) vs what was a privilege.  Being able to go into a private business is a privilege, and being required to wear a mask to exercise that privilege is not a violation of anyone's rights.  None of the restrictions took away anyone's rights, it may have limited their privileges, but that was based on their choices (ie. not wearing a mask or not getting vax'd).  Choices have consequences, and losing a privilege is not a loss of rights or freedom.

I guy I know is an ti everything. Anti vaxxer, anti restriction & anti masks. He was really vocal in his displeasure. I always liked the guy but I have to say that he became unhinged during the pandemic. I really want nothing to do with the guy now. He's become radicalized. Super alt right. All because of the pandemic. He never marched or protested but he's angry. How many silent Canadians like him, are there?? That is why I believe that restrictions will never come back. There's too many people who will refuse to follow them. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I guy I know is an ti everything. Anti vaxxer, anti restriction & anti masks. He was really vocal in his displeasure. I always liked the guy but I have to say that he became unhinged during the pandemic. I really want nothing to do with the guy now. He's become radicalized. Super alt right. All because of the pandemic. He never marched or protested but he's angry. How many silent Canadians like him, are there?? That is why I believe that restrictions will never come back. There's too many people who will refuse to follow them. 

Sorry to hear that.  It sucks that there are people out there who think like this because it's dangerous for everybody.  My question would be, what did it take for him to become radicalized like that?

I don't see that as a reason to not have restrictions again if they are warranted, but I understand that there are still many people who would refuse to follow them, just like the first time and a big part of why things got so out of control with the pandemic.

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

A lot of Canadians support them. This just gives them more credibility with their supporters. Most Canadians didn't like the convoy protest & the ugly way they behaved. But they do feel their freedoms were taken away. They didn't protest but were unhappy. Maybe the numbers are in the millions.

I supported the restrictions at the time. Especially before we had vaccines. People who wouldn't wear masks were crazy. Wearing a mask doesn't take away anyone's freedoms. I was okay with vaccine passports as well. However, those days are gone, Now, if you want to get a Covid booster it's up to you. I doubt if restrictions will ever come back. 

Many workplaces have restrictions as to what must be worn as well as many professions. What happened was all theatre staged by right-wing nuts and gullible thralls. I hope that if another pandemic arrives the governments of the day have the intelligence and fortitude to reinstate restrictions as necessary. There have been many examples of what happened when common-sense restrictions were not instituted and enforced. A good deal of the distress in our healthcare system (and others) is directly attributable to the COVID pandemic and the thoughtless stupidity of those who spread it.

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Stupidity and/or ignorance. And social media, which is a breeding ground to perpetuate both.

Yeah, you just have to look at Donald Trump to see where things come from.

3 hours ago, Sard said:

Sorry to hear that.  It sucks that there are people out there who think like this because it's dangerous for everybody.  My question would be, what did it take for him to become radicalized like that?

I don't see that as a reason to not have restrictions again if they are warranted, but I understand that there are still many people who would refuse to follow them, just like the first time and a big part of why things got so out of control with the pandemic.

Well, he's from rural Alberta living in Red Deer. That's part of it. However, it's like there's a Boogeyman around every corner. 

13 hours ago, WildPath said:

And a lot of self-interested people and organizations that have realized the dumbest and most gullible of society can be used to improve their position or make money. 

Absolutely right. Social media has become just another weapon in their divisive arsenal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wilson-marazzo-pat-king-emergencies-act-1.6637766

One of the lawyers representing some convoy organizers told the Emergencies Act inquiry the group was receiving leaked police information from sympathizers during the protests that blocked streets in downtown Ottawa last winter.

Keith Wilson, who represents convoy organizers — including Tamara Lich and Chris Barber — is testifying Wednesday in front of the Public Order Emergency Commission, which is reviewing the federal government's decision to invoke emergency powers to clear the crowds and vehicles that gridlocked the capital for more than three weeks.

"There were numerous times where information would come into the operation centre from various police sources that a raid was imminent," he said under oath Wednesday.

"And it happened many times."

Before his testimony, Wilson sat down with commission lawyers for an interview. A summary of that interview was entered as an exhibit on Wednesday.

"Wilson is unaware of the sources, but the Freedom Convoy was receiving leaked information from law enforcement," it reads.

"Eventually, the police caught on and appeared to launch 'fake operations' to throw off the Freedom Convoy participants and test where the leaks were coming from."

Wilson's statement does not say which police service he believes was leaking information.

Wilson told the commission Wednesday that multiple groups attached themselves to the self-described Freedom Convoy — including those who supported the movement, those who wanted to take it over and those who wanted a piece of the millions of dollars raised by organizers.

He said some strange groups — including a coven of witches — were attracted to the movement "like moths to a flame."

He also blamed Antifa at one point during his "testimony," alleging failed attempts to hijack the covidiot clown convoy.

What a ******* jackass lawyer.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wilson-marazzo-pat-king-emergencies-act-1.6637766

He also blamed Antifa at one point during his "testimony," alleging failed attempts to hijack the covidiot clown convoy.

What a ******* jackass lawyer.

Lawyer? That's cute, you're funny.

This might be worth a look, library has it.

William J. Bernstein is a neurologist, financial theorist, and historian.

"We are the apes who tell stories,” writes William Bernstein. “And no matter how misleading the narrative, if it is compelling enough it will nearly always trump the facts.” As Bernstein shows in his eloquent and persuasive new book, The Delusions of Crowds, throughout human history compelling stories have catalyzed the spread of contagious narratives through susceptible groups—with enormous, often disastrous, consequences.

Inspired by Charles Mackay’s 19th-century classic Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, Bernstein engages with mass delusion with the same curiosity and passion, but armed with the latest scientific research that explains the biological, evolutionary, and psychosocial roots of human irrationality."

The Delusions Of Crowds: Why People Go Mad in Groups Hardcover – February 23, 2021 

by  William J. Bernstein  (Author)

Edited by Mark F

32 minutes ago, JCon said:

He's lying and getting caught in his lies. Just the worst trash. 

In this world we currently live in it just seems that even getting caught in their web of lies is not enough for them to pay the consequences for this behaviour.

This has nothing to do with the color of someone’s political ideologies, it has to do with there needs to be impactful consequences immediately set down on one no matter who they are affiliated with but to choose to blatantly lie that significantly hurts others either financially, socially and/or emotionally. 

Sort of like what happened to me growing up when I chose to lie that really hurt someone else. I felt immediate and impactful consequences of my behaviour that helped me re-think what I did. There are ways to do this that are fair for all parties involved.

5 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

n this world we currently live in it just seems that even getting caught in their web of lies is not enough for them to pay the consequences for this behaviour.

I was thinking about Trump and this kind of thing. nothing he does loses fans.

maybe some of these people understand  that Trump is a liar and a cheat, but admire him cause he gets away with it.

ie...  he

"beats the system" the system, which his followers  seem to hate. 

there were crooks throughout history, who have been admired by many people.

Sask. putting on their belligerent hat to keep pace with the idjits in Alberta.  They're threatening to change their constitution to protect their economic interests, ie. burning coal for power and saying no to the carbon tax. 2035 is creeping up on them and they haven't done a damn thing to transition to NG power generation, although they've had 50 years to think about it.  MB. closed their last coal powered plant in 2002, Sask. wasn't even paying attention.