Canadian Politics

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

Example

Kristen synema..  Sinema began her political career in the Arizona Green Party and rose to prominence for her progressive advocacy, supporting causes such as LGBT rightsand opposing the war on terror.

more famous example    Barrack Obama. Mr comfortable shoes.

Apparently the lust for fame and power is seductive.

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

The 8% of disbelievers in the Green party is a surprise. Those of us in the 60+ age group are used to trusting research as opposed to opinion, but global warming is only part of the problem- the climate change model when it was created in the 80's also predicted more violent storms exaggerated droughts and cloudbursts, higher highs and lower lows and more unpredictability in weather forecasts. All this has come to pass and still the disbelievers cling to their beliefs like drowning people clinging to flotsam.

I am a witness, I live on the edge of the massive wildfire and flooding disasters that hit BC within the last year, when I try to explain how terrifying this experience is to friends and family living in AB. and MB. they absolutely do not believe how serious the threat is.  If you can't see the damage or choose to look away, it probably isn't real.

On 2022-03-31 at 3:49 PM, Fatty Liver said:

I am a witness, I live on the edge of the massive wildfire and flooding disasters that hit BC within the last year, when I try to explain how terrifying this experience is to friends and family living in AB. and MB. they absolutely do not believe how serious the threat is.  If you can't see the damage or choose to look away, it probably isn't real.

Job depends on it = Head in sand. Also..... many people are simply not very smart.

Alberta has had its share..... has no impact. Oil company propaganda is very effective.

Sweeping through Fort McMurray, the wildfire destroyed approximately 2,400 homes and buildings. Another 2,000 residents in three communities were displaced after their homes were declared unsafe for reoccupation due to contamination. The fire continued to spread across northern Alberta and into Saskatchewan,[15]consuming forested areas and impacting Athabasca oil sands operations. With an estimated damage cost of C$9.9 billion, it was the costliest disaster in Canadian history.

The fire spread across approximately 590,000 hectares (1,500,000 acres) before it was declared to be under control on July 5, 2016. It continued to smoulder, and was fully extinguished on August 2, 2017

And.... 2013

In the days leading up to June 19, 2013, Alberta, Canada, experienced heavy rainfall that triggered catastrophic flooding described by the provincial government as the worst in Alberta's history. Areas along the Bow, Elbow, Highwood, Red Deer, Sheep, Little Bow, and South Saskatchewan rivers and their tributaries were particularly affected. A total of 32 states of local emergencywere declared[5] and 28 emergency operations centres were activated[6] as water levels rose and numerous communities were placed under evacuation orders.[7]

you might think that two such events in three years would sink in, but ..... nope.

"we will rebuild" .  Till we are broke.

Edited by Mark F

25 minutes ago, Mark F said:

you might think that two such events in three years would sink in, but ..... nope.

The thinking goes - if we had fires and floods in the past, there's no way they could be caused by humans in any way. We see this logic in "the earth has always gone through periods of warming and cooling - this isn't caused by humans" Unfortunately people in power use this to prevent efforts to help with climate change.

Really low-level thinking that I'm pretty sure is intentionally blinding at times (people cling to beliefs when reality means they have personal responsibility and their way of life needs to change) and is definitely used as propaganda.

52 minutes ago, WildPath said:

The thinking goes - if we had fires and floods in the past, there's no way they could be caused by humans in any way. We see this logic in "the earth has always gone through periods of warming and cooling - this isn't caused by humans" Unfortunately people in power use this to prevent efforts to help with climate change.

Really low-level thinking that I'm pretty sure is intentionally blinding at times (people cling to beliefs when reality means they have personal responsibility and their way of life needs to change) and is definitely used as propaganda.

The earth certainly does and has gone through warming and cooling periods, many greater than what we are seeing or expecting. The thing that is ignored is that those fluctuations often wipe out species, civilizations, populations....... On top of that is most previous fluctuations have caused more local carnage. Because we are so dependent on other parts of the world , local damage in one part will have an effect thousands of miles away.The fact that humans are causing not only climate change but  damage to fragile systems that will have domino effects  is science. We are also vacuuming up resources  at an insane pace.  I don't agree  with all of Jared Diamond 's writings but he is correct in his belief that civilization collapses are often triggered by issues in their environment. What the world has never seen is when that is world wide.

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

Job depends on it = Head in sand. Also..... many people are simply not very smart.

Alberta has had its share..... has no impact. Oil company propaganda is very effective.

Sweeping through Fort McMurray, the wildfire destroyed approximately 2,400 homes and buildings. Another 2,000 residents in three communities were displaced after their homes were declared unsafe for reoccupation due to contamination. The fire continued to spread across northern Alberta and into Saskatchewan,[15]consuming forested areas and impacting Athabasca oil sands operations. With an estimated damage cost of C$9.9 billion, it was the costliest disaster in Canadian history.

The fire spread across approximately 590,000 hectares (1,500,000 acres) before it was declared to be under control on July 5, 2016. It continued to smoulder, and was fully extinguished on August 2, 2017

And.... 2013

In the days leading up to June 19, 2013, Alberta, Canada, experienced heavy rainfall that triggered catastrophic flooding described by the provincial government as the worst in Alberta's history. Areas along the Bow, Elbow, Highwood, Red Deer, Sheep, Little Bow, and South Saskatchewan rivers and their tributaries were particularly affected. A total of 32 states of local emergency were declared[5] and 28 emergency operations centres were activated[6] as water levels rose and numerous communities were placed under evacuation orders.[7]

"We will rebuild" .  Till we are broke.

When we were living just south of Alberta, High River experienced its fourth catastrophic flood since 1950, each one worse than the last, with the last one creating horrendous property damage and taking the lives of three people immediately and many more later. Apparently each of the preceding floods was met with the identical response from the provincial government. First, politicians toured the area, wringing their hands and making promises to ensure this would never happen again. A committee was struck and disappeared from public view shortly thereafter. Months later, a report was issued detailing the causes and costs to correct them. The government made somber statements that the report would be given full consideration, and more months passed. Eventually, the minister responsible declared that this was a once-in-a-lifetime event , was terribly expensive to prevent it happening again but would be watched closely. Then the government shelved the report and retreated into a comatose state, refusing to answer any further questions as the whole thing was ancient history. 

We humans seem constitutionally incapable of learning from past mistakes. 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

When we were living just south of Alberta, High River experienced its fourth catastrophic flood since 1950, each one worse than the last, with the last one creating horrendous property damage and taking the lives of three people immediately and many more later. Apparently each of the preceding floods was met with the identical response from the provincial government. First, politicians toured the area, wringing their hands and making promises to ensure this would never happen again. A committee was struck and disappeared from public view shortly thereafter. Months later, a report was issued detailing the causes and costs to correct them. The government made somber statements that the report would be given full consideration, and more months passed. Eventually, the minister responsible declared that this was a once-in-a-lifetime event , was terribly expensive to prevent it happening again but would be watched closely. Then the government shelved the report and retreated into a comatose state, refusing to answer any further questions as the whole thing was ancient history. 

We humans seem constitutionally incapable of learning from past mistakes. 

The place is named high river for a reason. You would think people would just expect flooding.

4 hours ago, WildPath said:

Really low-level thinking that I'm pretty sure is intentionally blinding at times (people cling to beliefs when reality means they have personal responsibility and their way of life needs to change) and is definitely used as propoganda

Most of society is a long way from being prepared for these changes.  We are all clinging to those beliefs, to some extent.  No one is exempt from this, it is the fabric of our current society.

On 2022-04-02 at 2:32 PM, Mark H. said:

Most of society is a long way from being prepared for these changes.  We are all clinging to those beliefs, to some extent.  No one is exempt from this, it is the fabric of our current society.

I agree. Most people's commitment to acting on their beliefs is largely driven by how convenient it is to do so. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Truly the worst people. Nothing redeemable on the right any longer. 

And, mouth-breathers will eat it up. 

I ******* hate this province most days. Praying Notley does away with them next summer but we'll see. She's leading now but there's a long way to go.... 

Calgary

Fixer says former Alberta justice minister hired him to get reporter's phone logs

Jonathan Denis allegedly hired David Wallace to get records of CP journalist Alanna Smith

Bob Weber · The Canadian Press · Posted: Apr 11, 2022 6:22 AM MT | Last Updated: 12 minutes ago

A self-described political fixer says a former Alberta justice minister hired him to obtain a reporter's phone logs.

David Wallace says he was hired by Jonathan Denis to get the phone records of Alanna Smith, a former Calgary Herald reporter now of The Canadian Press. Wallace said Denis told him he wanted to trace sources Smith had drawn on for a story about whether the size of Denis's wedding reception broke COVID-19 protocols.

In an email from his lawyer, Denis denied that he or his clients talked to Wallace.

Wallace told The Canadian Press that Denis got his name through Alan Hallman and Gerald Chipeur, longtime conservative operatives.

"Jonathan called me (and) told me that at his wedding he feels he had been targeted for poor press," Wallace said in an interview. "He wanted to find out who (Smith's) sources were.

"He wanted me to go into my source contacts using databases to their private cellphone information communications."

Wallace said he warned Denis that obtaining phone logs could be illegal.

"He basically said this is just information I'm gathering for my own use."

Denis was a Progressive Conservative cabinet minister in Alberta from 2010 to 2015 and justice minister for the last three of those years. Recently, he has been reported to be an organizer for Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre's campaign for leadership of the federal party.

Wallace said he gets politicians out of tight spots for a living.

(more)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/denis-alberta-justice-minister-former-fixer-phone-logs-reporter-1.6415532

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Calgary

Fixer says former Alberta justice minister hired him to get reporter's phone logs

Jonathan Denis allegedly hired David Wallace to get records of CP journalist Alanna Smith

Bob Weber · The Canadian Press · Posted: Apr 11, 2022 6:22 AM MT | Last Updated: 12 minutes ago

A self-described political fixer says a former Alberta justice minister hired him to obtain a reporter's phone logs.

David Wallace says he was hired by Jonathan Denis to get the phone records of Alanna Smith, a former Calgary Herald reporter now of The Canadian Press. Wallace said Denis told him he wanted to trace sources Smith had drawn on for a story about whether the size of Denis's wedding reception broke COVID-19 protocols.

In an email from his lawyer, Denis denied that he or his clients talked to Wallace.

Wallace told The Canadian Press that Denis got his name through Alan Hallman and Gerald Chipeur, longtime conservative operatives.

"Jonathan called me (and) told me that at his wedding he feels he had been targeted for poor press," Wallace said in an interview. "He wanted to find out who (Smith's) sources were.

"He wanted me to go into my source contacts using databases to their private cellphone information communications."

Wallace said he warned Denis that obtaining phone logs could be illegal.

"He basically said this is just information I'm gathering for my own use."

Denis was a Progressive Conservative cabinet minister in Alberta from 2010 to 2015 and justice minister for the last three of those years. Recently, he has been reported to be an organizer for Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre's campaign for leadership of the federal party.

Wallace said he gets politicians out of tight spots for a living.

(more)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/denis-alberta-justice-minister-former-fixer-phone-logs-reporter-1.6415532

And the law and order Cons are not falling all over each other to bring the miscreant to justice?

Big crowds turning out for Poilievre suggest a very different kind of Conservative leadership race

In the last two Conservative leadership races, the supposed front-runners stumbled before reaching the finish line. This time, however, the front-runner is only showing signs of gaining ground.

Swelling crowd counts and MP endorsements aren't ironclad guarantees of success, but they certainly don't hurt. And Pierre Poilievre — with his populist appeals to frustration with government "gatekeepers" and calls to make Canada "the freest country on earth" — is doing well on both those measures.

Poilievre has tweeted photos of rallies in British Columbia and Ontario attended by hundreds of people. His visits to Calgary on Tuesday and Edmonton on Thursday are expected to draw more big crowds.

"They're unprecedented in a leadership [race]," said Melanie Paradis, a veteran of the two previous Conservative leadership races who served as former leader Erin O'Toole's deputy campaign director. "He has a compelling narrative. It's important to credit that."
The theme of Poilievre's campaign is freedom. His rallies target government policies that he argues restrict those freedoms — everything from vaccine mandates to carbon taxes to government policy on inflation. Poilievre promises that if he becomes prime minister, he'll put a stop to all of it.

His supporters praise Poilievre for being an unapologetic conservative. Many like his willingness to bluntly criticize and even mock the Liberals.

Detractors worry he'll deepen divisions within the party and the country. Some have gone as far as to warn of the "Trumpification" of the Conservative Party if Poilievre wins.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-conservative-leadership-1.6416183