Canadian Politics

13 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

See but you're deflecting. Did I say governments can't do anything? No. I said, PP and his soundbites are childish and aren't a policy at all. Its the same thing as a kid name calling another kid on the playground. Has he offered a policy on dealing with inflation? Nope. He just repeats soundbites. Well, I guess his idea that crypto can get us out of inflation is a policy. Ignorant and not true but technically a policy. Look at everything he's said. He has yet to offer a policy on anything.

I am not defending Pierre Polievre. Make no mistake about that. I am yet to see any form of policy direction from him. I am simply stating that suggesting inflation has nothing to do with governmental policy is nonsense. Certainly inflation would be higher than normal right now, but 5.7% is avoidable and does not need to be happening right now. The Bank of Canada needs to raise interest rates, and get this under control and our government needs to mandate them to do so. Housing stock and prices need some governmental policy as well to get rid of the hyper inflation there and that resonates with a lot of voters right now.

An interesting read whether you agree with the content or not;

https://forgetthebox.net/canadas-real-estate-market-is-in-hyperinflation-202108311/#:~:text=Hyperinflation in the housing market,market and increasing homelessness further.

Edited by GCn20

31 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The Bank of Canada needs to raise interest rates

You have been paying attention to interest rates, right? That they are rising and planning to rise in the future and that they rose, today, by the greatest amount in over 20 years?

So despite having one of the best inflation statistics in the world, the Liberals are doing what you suggest. I'm assuming you will certainly applaud Trudeau as a fantastic leader for our inflation numbers and the interest rate increases? If these are important metrics to judge a leader by, he should be big in your books.

5 minutes ago, WildPath said:

You have been paying attention to interest rates, right? That they are rising and planning to rise in the future and that they rose, today, by the greatest amount in over 20 years?

So despite having one of the best inflation statistics in the world, the Liberals are doing what you suggest. I'm assuming you will certainly applaud Trudeau as a fantastic leader for our inflation numbers and the interest rate increases? If these are important metrics to judge a leader by, he should be big in your books.

Sure, had he not just tabled a budget that basically undoes everything the recent interest hikes were meant to do. Government spending policy is also a huge factor in inflation and the new budget is a massive fail on that front.

I will heartily applaud Trudeau when interest rates are back between 1-3% and our housing is no longer in a hyper-inflationary crisis.  I don't really care who the government is that does it, I just care that it gets done. This is not the time for massive government stimulus. That is stupid economic policy at this point and time.

Another interesting read:

https://www.conferenceboard.ca/insights/featured/canadian-economics/inflation-proofing-the-upcoming-federal-budget

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, WildPath said:

You realize that today's announcement raised the rate to 1%, right? And the plan is to raise it firmly within the range within a short amount of time.

It takes 18-24 months for interest rate changes to see a full effect on the economy. 

Also, BOC is arms length from gov't and does NOT take direction from them. 

Poilevre is so absolutely unlikeable that I don't think it possible for him to maintain sufficient support for 3 more years.  He'll have the hard-cores, but he'll lose the soft vote due to his eminently punchable face and anti-charismatic personality.  Plus he has far less "real world" work experience than Trudeau had.

28 minutes ago, JCon said:

It takes 18-24 months for interest rate changes to see a full effect on the economy. 

Also, BOC is arms length from gov't and does NOT take direction from them. 

Would you stop with these facts already? Trudeau is clearly the reason we have inflation to begin with, but is not the reason our inflation numbers are better than most of the developed world.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Having covered the AB section of the '21 federal election quite extensively, I can tell you that the CPC lost a considerable chunk of the vote to the PPC. I don't know about other jurisdictions, but in AB, the  PPC were a major problem. With PP in charge of CPC, they would absolutely steal that vote back again, because PP is as crazy as Mad Max. 

So they would just win seats they already won by more. That's the current conservatives problem. Their appeal is too concentrated in few areas. They don't have widespread appeal across the country and honestly I don't think the populism crap us going to resonate without some actual policy behind it.

Pat King bail review adjourned again, this time in response to new charges against him

A key figure of the Freedom Convoy protest will remain in custody for now after his bail review hearing was adjourned Thursday due to new charges against him. On Wednesday, the same hearing was abruptly adjourned when a lawyer's computer was hacked.

Pat King's defence lawyer had requested a review of the decision to keep him in custody until his trial begins.

The bail review hearing started Wednesday but came to an unexpected stop when King's lawyer, David Goodman, who was appearing virtually, interrupted court to alert everyone his computer had been hacked.  Through Goodman's computer speakers, a cryptic voice repeatedly said the computer had been locked.

The proceeding was adjourned until Thursday, and Justice Graeme Mew ordered a publication ban on the hacking. When the hearing resumed Thursday, the publication ban on the hacking was lifted. Goodman told court his computer issue had been "fully resolved," nothing was corrupted and his files were safe and secure.

All evidence presented at the bail review remains subject to a publication ban, which is often requested and granted to prevent potential jurors from being prejudiced ahead of trial.
King was a leading figure in the weeks-long convoy protest against COVID-19 restrictions, and was arrested on Feb. 18 on four charges: mischief, counselling to commit mischief, counselling to commit the offence of disobeying a court order, and counselling to obstruct police.

King is now facing additional charges of obstructing justice and perjury.

-CBC News

Edited by Tracker

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Good school makes good country

Unfortunately, we even see huge disparities in our public schools in Manitoba. More wealthy areas generally have better schools that have less resources required for a range of issues associated with poverty. Wealthier areas also have much higher involvement and support of families which can help schools. One of the reasons I was against bill 64 was because it would increase the disparity between 'have' and 'have-not' schools in the public system.

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This is just another dumbass Ontario Liberal policy. There are real issues that they could be running on and even winning on but they go this route. 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Good, but not good enough. In our country, few need to own firearms whose sole designed intent is to kill people.  This doesn't need to be the sole plank of a election platform, but an important one.

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Good, but not good enough. In our country, few need to own firearms whose sole designed intent is to kill people.  This doesn't need to be the sole plank of a election platform, but an important one.

If you think gun control is going to win you a single vote, you may be ready to be a (soon to be unemployed) Liberal strategist. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

If you think gun control is going to win you a single vote, you may be ready to be a (soon to be unemployed) Liberal strategist. 

I do not think I am alone in believing that people-killing firearms ought to be banned altogether, but absolutely in the minority. However, this is a discussion that needs to happen and needs to begins somewhere and sometime soon. Sometimes, these discussions plant seeds that take a while to grow to fruition.

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I do not think I am alone in believing that people-killing firearms ought to be banned altogether, but absolutely in the minority. However, this is a discussion that needs to happen and needs to begins somewhere and sometime soon. Sometimes, these discussions plant seeds that take a while to grow to fruition.

I understand that. I believe, more than anywhere else in this country, that the discussion on the ban of hand guns has taken place in Ontario and specifically Toronto. 

This has been discussed during each provincial (Ontario) and federal election for ages. It was being discussed when I lived there. 

But, there is no way that this party, with all the things it draw on to show the ineptitude of the current government and how they would differ, should be running on banning hand guns. It's not a winning policy. It does not move or change votes.

Elections matter. Get the efing votes. 

Edited by JCon

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I understand that. I believe, more than anywhere else in this country, that the discussion on the ban of hand guns has taken place in Ontario and specifically Toronto. 

This has discussed during each provincial (Ontario) and federal election for ages. It was being discussed when I lived there. 

But, there is no way that this party, with all the things it draw on to show the ineptitude of the current government and how they would differ, should be running on banning hand guns. It's not a winning policy. It does not move or change votes.

Elections matter. Get the efing votes. 

It's obviously not their only policy, but it is a policy many people would approve of if they attempted to implement it.  I can't think of a single valid reason to own a handgun.

12 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

It's obviously not their only policy, but it is a policy many people would approve of if they attempted to implement it.  I can't think of a single valid reason to own a handgun.

Have you forgotten assault rifles and automatic weapons? Any firearm designed to kill people ought to be banned.

2 hours ago, WildPath said:

Unfortunately, we even see huge disparities in our public schools in Manitoba. More wealthy areas generally have better schools that have less resources required for a range of issues associated with poverty. Wealthier areas also have much higher involvement and support of families which can help schools. One of the reasons I was against bill 64 was because it would increase the disparity between 'have' and 'have-not' schools in the public system.

And with the exception of places like Thompson and Flin Flon, it just gets worse as you go further north

I was also against Bill 64. And, I do not want to see anything of that ilk implemented, until we actually have a competent government

37 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

And with the exception of places like Thompson and Flin Flon, it just gets worse as you go further north

I was also against Bill 64. And, I do not want to see anything of that ilk implemented, until we actually have a competent government

I taught in Frontier for years and know many teachers around the division and at reserve-managed schools in the North. The differences in education are staggering and the gap has continued to grow, especially since Covid. There are students who have missed out on two whole years of education and attendance rates of 10% class-wide(not always the case, but I know places where it happens regularly). It is shocking the difference between Northern MB and Southern MB. I can't imagine students who have gone two years without education will suddenly have great attendance rates in future years. It is saddening and there is little knowledge or willingness to do anything about it by anyone in Southern MB.

5 hours ago, WildPath said:

I taught in Frontier for years and know many teachers around the division and at reserve-managed schools in the North. The differences in education are staggering and the gap has continued to grow, especially since Covid. There are students who have missed out on two whole years of education and attendance rates of 10% class-wide(not always the case, but I know places where it happens regularly). It is shocking the difference between Northern MB and Southern MB. I can't imagine students who have gone two years without education will suddenly have great attendance rates in future years. It is saddening and there is little knowledge or willingness to do anything about it by anyone in Southern MB.

And I'll bet they told you 'you have paid your dues' when you got a job in Southern MB.  I think it's very telling that the head office for Frontier SD is located in Winnipeg. 

19 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Thompson has one of the worst academic records in the province. Attendance and graduation rates are far below provincial averages.

8 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I sit corrected. Thanks. 

We have some big issues in Thompson with our education system. RD Parker collegiate has an attend and you will graduate policy in place just to try and get kids to attend. It's a mess. It is also one of the most well funded school division in the province. Sometimes problems go beyond funding models. The money is there. 

The problem in Thompson is a highly transient population, students coming from reserve schools unable to keep up with curriculums, lack of public transit to schools coupled with a severe winter climate, the school division evicting students from school grounds at lunch hours, and a general malaise by the school division and teachers to do anything about attendance.

19 hours ago, WildPath said:

Frontier school division communities are generally very low income communities. Social problems in these communities exacerbate the problem, as you well know.

Edited by GCn20