Canadian Politics

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Trudeau has had 6 years to bring in pharmacare & dental care. It's always been on the agenda & promised but Trudeau has never done a thing about it. If Trudeau decides he won't bring in these 2 changes to healthcare then the NDP will withdraw support & Trudeau will just make a deal with the Bloc who have 7 more seats than the NDP. It's all a game & about keeping power. This has nothing to do with what is best for Canadians but what is best for the Trudeau Liberals. 

Given what we're seeing from the current CPC members in Parliament, I am okay with that.

Something more than finding 100 different ways to say "Trudeau bad" is going to be required of them 

51 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Trudeau has had 6 years to bring in pharmacare & dental care. It's always been on the agenda & promised but Trudeau has never done a thing about it. If Trudeau decides he won't bring in these 2 changes to healthcare then the NDP will withdraw support & Trudeau will just make a deal with the Bloc who have 7 more seats than the NDP. It's all a game & about keeping power. This has nothing to do with what is best for Canadians but what is best for the Trudeau Liberals. 

This is NOT a coalition government. If it was, then members of the NDP would be put into Cabinet. Singh would have one of the most important portfolio's like  Finance, Environment or Foreign Affairs. Other key NDP MP's would be included into Cabinet as well. They won't be. This is just getting the NDP not to vote down any bill creating a No Confidence situation in the government. The NDP are always broke. They always need time to pay off their election debt & fund raise. That's why there'll never be a true coalition government. Just the NDP preventing another quick election. 

9 Provinces have declined Phatmacare. Can't force them, which is why it won't go forward. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

9 Provinces have declined Phatmacare. Can't force them, which is why it won't go forward. 

These Conservative provincial governments will be swept out one by one. I have nothing buit contempt for all of them. If canadians want pharmacare then it'll become a reality.  The worst are the 20 something Conservative males who seemed to have been indoctrinated into the far alt right. Nothing but punks.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

19 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I disagree that she was playing games.  The time for a cabinet minister to question the cozy relationship between SCN - Lavalin and the Feds was past due.

It's the kind of thing that used to cause election losses - but somehow not anymore.

The last time this happened (although more informally than with Martin / Layton) Stephen Harper made sure it didn't last very long

But there is no Harper - this time...

The Wilson-Reybold thing was more hype than anything. The minister in point was silent for months until she lost the cabinet post that she loved, then she developed ethics. She described constant, intense pressure which turned out to be one phone call or email per week and admitted that she did not receive any direction to change her mind. It was bad optics, no doubt but not a hanging offence.

Edited by Tracker

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

These Conservative provincial governments will be swept out one by one. I have nothing buit contempt for all of them. If canadians want pharmacare then it'll become a reality.  The worst are the 20 something Conservative males who seemed to have been indoctrinated into the far alt right. Nothing but punks.

Thing is, most provinces already have pharmacare to some degree. How does the Federal program differ? That's what the Libs and NDP need to communicate. 

Let the shenanigans begin!  The upcoming AB UCP leadership review looks to be a ****-show from the get-go, Jason Kenney changing the rules of the vote as needed in a desperate attempt to cling to power.

Twenty thousand, they were expecting 3,000.

That's the estimated number of people the United Conservative Party (UCP) executive says could descend on the upcoming leadership review of Premier Jason Kenney. It could end up being thousands more.

It's a number no one has been able to explain and one that's causing headaches for every group involved — Kenney's campaign team, the party executive, the constituency associations and those trying to oust the premier. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/united-conservative-party-ucp-jason-kenney-red-deer-1.6393577

Meanwhile more evidence has come to light that shows Kenney was directly involved in Jeff Callaway’s kamikaze leadership bid to cut down Brian Jean in the initial UCP leadership race that occurred in 2017.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jason-kenney-kamikaze-campaign-investigations-1.6385745?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

With these tricksters, the fun never ends!

Edited by Fatty Liver

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Meanwhile more evidence has come to light that shows Kenney was directly involved in Jeff Callaway’s kamikaze leadership bid to cut down Brian Jean in the initial UCP leadership race that occurred in 2017.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jason-kenney-kamikaze-campaign-investigations-1.6385745?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

s-l400.jpg

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

UCP in turmoil and I'm all about it.... Burn baby burn. 

Regardless of this dumpster fire and not trying to be a Debbie Downer on your joy here but knowing the knuckle draggers and Magat wannabe's we have milling around these parts with no meaningful purpose in their lives other than being self-entitled dicks and dickesses, it's going to take a lot more than UCP imploding to right this ship.  

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

UCP in turmoil and I'm all about it.... Burn baby burn. 

I would be careful what I wish for. You are quite likely to have Premier Brian Jean next and those Wild Rose guys are further right then Kenney.

Edited by GCn20

10 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Regardless of this dumpster fire and not trying to be a Debbie Downer on your joy here but knowing the knuckle draggers and Magat wannabe's we have milling around these parts with no meaningful purpose in their lives other than being self-entitled dicks and dickesses, it's going to take a lot more than UCP imploding to right this ship.  

I just want Rachel Notley's NDP in charge, and whatever it takes to get there, I'm game...

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I would be careful what I wish for. You are quite likely to have Premier Brian Jean next. 

see that's just the thing. If the party was truly unified, with Jean taking over, I think there's less chance of a good outcome (Notley). But with the party in disarray, and a true fight between Kenney and Jean, then there's a much better chance of Notley getting elected again. 

17 hours ago, JCon said:

I guess one has to ask what part of the federal plan was so odious to everyone asked to administer it.

Just now, Noeller said:

I just want Rachel Notley's NDP in charge, and whatever it takes to get there, I'm game...

The NDP's best shot is against a Kenney led UPC. 

13 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Let the shenanigans begin!  The upcoming AB UCP leadership review looks to be a ****-show from the get-go, Jason Kenney changing the rules of the vote as needed in a desperate attempt to cling to power.

Twenty thousand, they were expecting 3,000.

That's the estimated number of people the United Conservative Party (UCP) executive says could descend on the upcoming leadership review of Premier Jason Kenney. It could end up being thousands more.

It's a number no one has been able to explain and one that's causing headaches for every group involved — Kenney's campaign team, the party executive, the constituency associations and those trying to oust the premier. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/united-conservative-party-ucp-jason-kenney-red-deer-1.6393577

Hmmmm.....suppressing voters that you do not like because they will vote against you....where have I heard that song before?

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I guess one has to ask what part of the federal plan was so odious to everyone asked to administer it.

I would say it's more that they want to control the tax revenue, rather than the Feds. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I would say it's more that they want to control the tax revenue, rather than the Feds. 

And so they should imo. The feds have been underfunding health care transfer payments for many years now. Add pharma and dental and offloading the costs on the provinces is not going to get anyone to agree to it.

41 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

And so they should imo. The feds have been underfunding health care transfer payments for many years now. Add pharma and dental and offloading the costs on the provinces is not going to get anyone to agree to it.

Provinces not been spending their CHTs, which is why this gov't put a stop to it. 

And. I need to add that the previous gov't slowed the transfer increases from 6% growth to 3% to match what the provinces were actually spending. 

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I would be careful what I wish for. You are quite likely to have Premier Brian Jean next and those Wild Rose guys are further right then Kenney.

Not likely. Alberta had plenty of chances to elect the wild rose far right types and every single time they opted not to . 

The ucp preyed on the fact that people believed they would be the old pcs and not as far right as the wild rose. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Not likely. Alberta had plenty of chances to elect the wild rose far right types and every single time they opted not to . 

The ucp preyed on the fact that people believed they would be the old pcs and not as far right as the wild rose. 

Maybe...but at this point I would think that anyone not named Kenney would massively benefit the UCP party of Alberta.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Provinces not been spending their CHTs, which is why this gov't put a stop to it. 

And. I need to add that the previous gov't slowed the transfer increases from 6% growth to 3% to match what the provinces were actually spending. 

I am aware that the transfer payments were cut by the Cons and then not addressed in any way by the Liberals and both parties are guilty here. However, there has been no tangible discussion on pharma or dental care funding increases at all with the provinces. Why on god's green earth would they ever agree to taking on these behemoth health care costs without any idea of what the compensation structure would look like. You can't blame the provinces for this. This was simply virtue signalling and flag waving by a federal party with absolutely zero serious intention of meaningful discussion with their provincial counterparts about an actual implementation plan. It is a hallmark of our current federal government unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Maybe...but at this point I would think that anyone not named Kenney would massively benefit the UCP party of Alberta.

Kenney is too far left (ha!) for the far right crazies, and he's obviously too far right for anyone centrist, so he's managed to alienate everyone. Jean would at least unite the right. A united Right will always win in AB....always. The NDP (and really the good of the province) needs a UCP in disarray...

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

I am aware that the transfer payments were cut by the Cons and then not addressed in any way by the Liberals and both parties are guilty here. However, there has been no tangible discussion on pharma or dental care funding increases at all with the provinces. Why on god's green earth would they ever agree to taking on these behemoth health care costs without any idea of what the compensation structure would look like. You can't blame the provinces for this. This was simply virtue signalling and flag waving by a federal party with absolutely zero serious intention of meaningful discussion with their provincial counterparts about an actual implementation plan. It is a hallmark of our current federal government unfortunately.

I'm not blaming them. I'm blaming the Provinces for trying to balance their budgets with the CHT, rather then spending it appropriately. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Kenney is too far left (ha!) for the far right crazies, and he's obviously too far right for anyone centrist, so he's managed to alienate everyone. Jean would at least unite the right. A united Right will always win in AB....always. The NDP (and really the good of the province) needs a UCP in disarray...

Yea...the last thing Canada needs is more wingnut politics from Alberta but I think you are right.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

The rest of what you said is just nonsense.

No, it's not. How can the provinces be expected to agree to pharmacare and dental care without knowing what increase in medical transfers would occur, 

To put a slightly different slant on this debate about the costs of a dental and pharmacare program, a couple-three decades ago, when the idea was first broached, I saw a pretty credible report that examined the pluses and minuses of these.  It was proposed that these were actually "upstream" programs with the likelihood of actually saving money in healthcare costs when fully implemented. Untreated dental carries can affect or create a lot of health problems, like heart disease and GI concerns. Moreover, some HMOs in the US actually provide prescription drugs to their subscribers for free as their own studies showed that early dispensing of these prevented more severe and therefore more costly medical interventions later. 

Edited by Tracker