Canadian Politics

The clown show from GQP North continues: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-ballingall-conservative-leadership-canada-proud-1.6433088

Pierre Poilievre may be known for his social media savvy, but his campaign is getting some help from a conservative meme machine.

Jeff Ballingall's company, Mobilize Media, has been retained by the Poilievre Conservative leadership campaign, sources familiar with the hiring told CBC News.

CBC News is not revealing the sources' identities because they are not authorized to speak publicly about it. The Poilievre campaign declined to comment.

Ballingall specializes in shareable, anti-Liberal messaging that often takes on a mocking or outraged tone. His Canada Proud and Ontario Proud accounts have amassed hundreds of thousands of followers on Facebook and tens of thousands more on Twitter and Instagram.

One recent Canada Proud post, for example, featured a news article about Poilievre's energy policy along with the comment, "Money to Canadians, not to dirty dictatorships. Do you agree with Pierre Poilievre?"

...Erin O'Toole also worked with Ballingall. At the time, Ballingall told The National Post the Proud pages would remain neutral — though they both regularly featured content flattering O'Toole.

Just when I think Poilievre couldn't possibly be any more of a hysterical ignoramus...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-bank-of-canada-audit-1.6433860

Conservative leadership contender Pierre Poilievre promised Thursday he'd spike the Bank of Canada's proposal to offer a digital currency, saying this sort of financial instrument should be left to the private sector.

Poilievre has emerged as a fierce critic of Canada's central bank. He's tried to link decades-high inflation to its COVID-era policy of quantitative easing and recently slammed the institution as "financially illiterate."

Poilievre said that a government led by him would extend the auditor general's authority to include the Bank of Canada and push for a review of its pandemic policies.

"Justin Trudeau has threatened the Bank of Canada's independence with a half-trillion dollars of deficits that required the central bank to print money and cause inflation," Poilievre said.

"That's 'Justinflation,'" he said, using his gag name for inflation rates under the Liberal government. "I will end it, by restoring central bank independence, mandating an independent audit of all the money printing and stopping the risky central bank digital currency."

Poilievre also said a government led by him would adopt Conservative MP Andrew Scheer's private member's bill, which would empower the auditor general to audit the Bank of Canada. The central bank is currently exempt from this sort of oversight.

The Bank of Canada is already audited each year by two separate outside firms — currently KPMG and PricewaterhouseCoopers.

Kevin Page, the former parliamentary budget officer, said it's not clear what the AG could accomplish with these new powers.

What An Idiot GIFs | Tenor

I sincerely hope the CPC selects him as their next leader. They can go for the loser hat trick.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Just when I think Poilievre couldn't possibly be any more of a hysterical ignoramus...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-bank-of-canada-audit-1.6433860

What An Idiot GIFs | Tenor

I sincerely hope the CPC selects him as their next leader. They can go for the loser hat trick.

Definitely not an idiot. He knows exactly what he's saying/doing and knows the capacity/knowledge of the crowd he is playing to. Selfish ***hole, yes, but not an idiot.

50 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Definitely not an idiot. He knows exactly what he's saying/doing and knows the capacity/knowledge of the crowd he is playing to. Selfish ***hole, yes, but not an idiot.

Yup, I believe he is another career politician (first elected in 2004!) He was finance critic too. So he knows damn well how things work.

The 1st time I heard him speak, I actually thought...wow this guy is asking questions I actually don't know the answer to, and want to hear what the answer is....everytime I've heard him since then has made me dislike him more and more. Then I knew he was just a ******* **** once he said he was "running for prime minister" nevermind the bs around cbc or justinflation....

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

From what I can tell, he's a sniveling, devious grifter who's feeding on the fear and ignorance of his supporters to benefit his own selfish interests. His lack of of seeing the bigger picture, by choice or not, makes him an idiot of the short-sighted variety.

That's a dangerous game to play, IMO. Especially when he does little more than resort to hyperbole, dog whistles, and outright falsehoods.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

From what I can tell, he's a sniveling, devious grifter who's feeding on the fear and ignorance of his supporters to benefit his own selfish interests. His lack of of seeing the bigger picture, by choice or not, makes him an idiot of the short-sighted variety.

That's a dangerous game to play, IMO. Especially when he does little more than resort to hyperbole, dog whistles, and outright falsehoods.

Agree with just about everything, but I don't think he's necessarily short-sighted. Likely acknowledges being a misinformation-spewing opposition party leader is the best he can do. Even without being a party leader it has brought him tons of attention already. Too much risk of not even achieving that if he plays it straight and develops effective policy to get fame and power. He has his style, he has his crowd and he's perfecting how to exploit that.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Poilievre is just another acolyte of the Calgary School, nothing new, different or original is ever going to come out of his mouth, it's all republican lite.  The CPC has to stop going back to this well, it's poisoned.

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Poilievre is just another acolyte of the Calgary School, nothing new, different or original is ever going to come out of his mouth, it's all republican lite. 

Are you talking about the education system out here in Calgary? I don't understand your reference. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Are you talking about the education system out here in Calgary? I don't understand your reference. 

Alberta school of politics.

14 hours ago, WildPath said:

Agree with just about everything, but I don't think he's necessarily short-sighted. Likely acknowledges being a misinformation-spewing opposition party leader is the best he can do. Even without being a party leader it has brought him tons of attention already. Too much risk of not even achieving that if he plays it straight and develops effective policy to get fame and power. He has his style, he has his crowd and he's perfecting how to exploit that.

He's pandering to the base that wields a lot nomination power. No surprise there. General election he will have to tone it down considerably or get crushed unless, of course, Trudeau is still leader in which case he is playing it right.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Alberta school of politics.

He's pandering to the base that wields a lot nomination power. No surprise there. General election he will have to tone it down considerably or get crushed unless, of course, Trudeau is still leader in which case he is playing it right.

And then he tones it down in a general election and the middle doesn't trust him because of said pandering to the base and the base gets upset that he's not right enough and they kick him out. 

Conservatives need to get over this idea they have that Trudeau bashing is a winning strategy. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And then he tones it down in a general election and the middle doesn't trust him because of said pandering to the base and the base gets upset that he's not right enough and they kick him out. 

Conservatives need to get over this idea they have that Trudeau bashing is a winning strategy. 

But that gets the followers all engorged and tingly.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Liberals need to get over the idea that Trudeau bashing doesn't work. The Cons have been in a state of disarray, rife with internal struggle, and rudderless leadership for the past 3-4 years at least....and yet they sit ahead in the popular vote in 2 elections and are pretty much in a tie right now with no leader with no clear direction of policy to speak of all on the strength of Trudeau bashing. A Trudeau led Liberal party gets worse for them, not better.  The Trudeau bashing will not stop, nor should it, it's working. What they need to do is build some policy around that. I honestly believe Trudeau is a big liability to his party right now. He is an albatross they need to shake off sooner rather than later or it will eventually cost them.

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Liberals need to get over the idea that Trudeau bashing doesn't work. The Cons have been in a state of disarray, rife with internal struggle, and rudderless leadership for the past 3-4 years at least....and yet they sit ahead in the popular vote in 2 elections and are pretty much in a tie right now with no leader with no clear direction of policy to speak of all on the strength of Trudeau bashing. A Trudeau led Liberal party gets worse for them, not better.  The Trudeau bashing will not stop, nor should it, it's working. What they need to do is build some policy around that. I honestly believe Trudeau is a big liability to his party right now. He is an albatross they need to shake off sooner rather than later or it will eventually cost them.

Trudeau is so unpopular that he's only won the last three elections. The CPCs have thrown all sorts at him and failed. But, yes, keep going hard right, that will work! 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

shot himself in both feet, and at least one leg....and still manages to win the last 3 federal elections. Imagine if he didn't do dumb ****? They'd have had consecutive majorities...

For sure.

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

Trudeau is so unpopular that he's only won the last three elections. The CPCs have thrown all sorts at him and failed. But, yes, keep going hard right, that will work! 

He has narrowly won the last two elections, and given the state of his opposition, is seriously underperforming. Keep on believing though. If you think that the last two elections is an endorsement of him than you are drinking the Liberal koolaid way too heavily. People plugged their nose and voted for him (and he did lose the popular vote) because no party emerged with any kind of alternative to him. Trudeau will not win another election.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

For sure.

He has narrowly won the last two elections, and given the state of his opposition, is seriously underperforming. Keep on believing though.

Okay, but he's still in power. And, even with a "centrist" leader (on some days) the CPC couldn't do anything. 

You keep on believing in the alt-right, though. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Okay, but he's still in power. And, even with a "centrist" leader (on some days) the CPC couldn't do anything. 

Never have believed in the alt-right. Not every CPC member, in fact the vast majority of CPC members, do not either. That's just the Liberal way of trying to minimize those who think differently than them and it is kind of gross really.  That's US style politics and I thought we were better than that here in Canada. BTW, the CONS haven't had a leader since Harper. They've had guys in the role that were completely out of place being there. Trudeau managed to capitalize to thin minorities against no opposition really. But yeah....he's your man.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

I never said he wasn't in power, I said he underperformed badly because his popularity is waning. Kind of hard to refute that.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Never have believed in the alt-right. Not every CPC member, in fact the vast majority of CPC members, do not either. That's just the Liberal way of trying to minimize those who think differently than them and it is kind of gross really.  That's US style politics and I thought we were better than that here in Canada.

Pierre is an alt-right candidate. And, he's probably going to win because he says things that get the Cons all riled up. False things. 

So, you can say whatever you want about the CPCS but it's an alt-right populist party. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Pierre is an alt-right candidate. And, he's probably going to win because he says things that get the Cons all riled up. False things. 

So, you can say whatever you want about the CPCS but it's an alt-right populist party. 

No it most certainly is not no matter how much you jump up and down and say it is. That's just you carrying in US style politics of painting the other party as extreme into this debate. It is absolute nonsense to suggest that the entire CPC party is alt-right. Laughable really....but you keep doing you on this. I don't disagree that Pierre is further to the right than the other candidates, but to suggest he is alt-right is the same as those who call Trudeau a communist. It is a gross exaggeration. I mean really....you think Pierre Pollievre is a white supremacist who wishes to replace democracy with a white nationalist state...or do you just not know what the definition of alt right is?

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No it most certainly is not no matter how much you jump up and down and say it is. That's just you carrying in US style politics of painting the other party as extreme into this debate. It is absolute nonsense to suggest that the entire CPC party is alt-right. Laughable really....but you keep doing you on this. I don't disagree that Pierre is further to the right than the other candidates, but to suggest he is alt-right is the same as those who call Trudeau a communist. It is a gross exaggeration.

Just going to leave this picture of the interim CPC leader and her MAGA hat here while you educate us all on the US style of politics you say we are better than but that Liberals try to drag us into. 
FKo6L5zXoAUTtNU.png

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

You seem more upset with PP being called a alt-right populist than his alt-right populist policies. Enjoy the ride.

Guy was all buddy-buddy with the terrorists in Ottawa, so he's disqualified himself for most Canadians. 

Please do me a favor and look up the definition of alt right and tell me what policies he has announced he would pursue that would make him classified as one.

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Just going to leave this picture of the interim CPC leader and her MAGA hat here while you educate us all on the US style of politics you say we are better than but that Liberals try to drag us into. 
FKo6L5zXoAUTtNU.png

Oh no...she was a Trump supporter you know before she actually spoke out against him....burn the witch. You guys are comical.

Edited by GCn20