Canadian Politics

34 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I own 5 hunting rifles/shotguns...all semi automatic. Not sure why you think there are no semi auto hunting rifles? Literally tons of them. The only non semi-autos are bolt actions and the very rare lever or pump actions. No offense, but you are sounding like someone who doesn't know much about guns. Shotguns sold today are literally almost all semi auto, nobody wants pump action or double barrell anymore and yes modifying them makes them illegal...duh...the criminals aren't really worried about that are they?

Again, pay attention to the words I use. I never mentioned shotguns as I know most shotguns now are semi-automatic. I consistently said hunting RIFLES. Semi-auto shotguns are also not restricted. Most gun owners do not have restricted licenses and are not legally allowed to own semi-automatic RIFLES, unless they are rimfire, which I'm sure you already know.

I am not a gun expert, but I know enough to spot a bait-and-switch.

You originally claimed all guns can be easily modified to full auto in 5 minutes using a hacksaw. I assumed you didn't think anyone on the board would know enough to call it for the BS statement that it is. When I called you out on it, you changed it to semi-automatic and then made before 1985. That's quite a difference from your original claim.

18 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Wow. I cannot follow your thinking at all.

I'm hoping the Russians follow this line of thinking. I'd love to see their soldiers outfitted with bolt action rifles.

37 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

All guns are people killing guns. Need to change the narrative that an automatic weapon is more dangerous than a bolt action. Completely untrue.

Yep and catapults are even deadlier than the both of them, even seen a bolt action rifle blow up a stone wall? It's catapults we need to be worrying about. Won't even set off a metal detector.

Edited by MOBomberFan
double post

On 2022-04-21 at 1:25 PM, WildPath said:

Again, pay attention to the words I use. I never mentioned shotguns as I know most shotguns now are semi-automatic. I consistently said hunting RIFLES. Semi-auto shotguns are also not restricted. Most gun owners do not have restricted licenses and are not legally allowed to own semi-automatic RIFLES, unless they are rimfire, which I'm sure you already know.

I am not a gun expert, but I know enough to spot a bait-and-switch.

You originally claimed all guns can be easily modified to full auto in 5 minutes using a hacksaw. I assumed you didn't think anyone on the board would know enough to call it for the BS statement that it is. When I called you out on it, you changed it to semi-automatic and then made before 1985. That's quite a difference from your original claim.

I'm hoping the Russians follow this line of thinking. I'd love to see their soldiers outfitted with bolt action rifles.

You are talking out your ass. Semi automatic hunting rifles are completely legal in Canada to own and to use.  Restricted, yes, but only technically. If they have a barrel length shorter than 470mm, or are on the cockamamie list Trudeau put out they are restricted. If they are a long rifle they are non restricted.

It takes very little extra effort to purchase a restricted firearm. Also, at no point did I designate rim-fire or centrefire in my posts. A 22 LR semi-auto is a hunting rifle, that being said I own two centrefire semi-auto hunting rifles and will continue to do so.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

Maybe...but does that really matter in the vast majority of gun crime?

Not in the vast majority of gun crime, but it absolutely 100% matters in mass shootings - the worst of the gun crimes

I again refer your attention to catapults. Imagine the Las Vegas shooter had a catapult with a bump stock installed wooooeeee

59 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You are talking out your ass. Semi automatic hunting rifles are completely legal in Canada to own and to use.  Restricted, yes, but only technically. It takes very little extra effort to purchase a restricted firearm. Also, at no point did I designate rim-fire or centrefire in my posts. A 22 LR semi-auto is a hunting rifle, that being said I own two centrefire semi-auto hunting rifles and will continue to do so.

Long gun semi autos, whether rimfire or centrefire, with a barrel length over 470mm and non-foldable stock are non-restricted firearms in Canada. Just got off the phone with the RCMP to verify. This covers the overwhelming majority of semi autos out there., Please provide a link proving otherwise if you want to continue debating this. 

https://cubetoronto.com/canada/what-semi-autos-are-still-legal-in-canada/

A link that confirms what the RCMP told me. 

If they tried to restrict or prohibit semi auto long rifles they would have to be prepared for criminalizing a huge number of law abiding hunters. Nearly everyone I know who hunts owns one.

https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com/firearms/non-restricted-rifles?cat=719

Above is a listing for non-restricted semi-autos for sale right now if they weren't already sold out.

Edited by GCn20

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Semi automatic hunting rifles are completely legal in Canada to own and to use.  Restricted, yes, but only technically.

Honestly not gonna bother derailing this thread anymore than it needs to be. You originally claimed you could turn any hunting rifle into a fully automatic and concealed weapon. That is massively false, which you basically admitted by modifying your claim to any semi-automatic made before 1985. I'm fully aware some semi-auto's can be converted and I've even read the SKS can accidentally slip into full auto mode. To say you can make any hunting rifle into a fully automatic weapon is a joke and I'd love to see the stats that the overwhelming majority of hunting rifles used are semi-automatic made before 1985 🤣

Anyway, done with derailing on useless minutia when its obvious your original claim was either incredibly ignorant or intentionally misleading.

So just a bit if background. I was a big time gun guy for decades. I owned my own 22 at age 12. I was on a championship Jr. Rifle club team. Our meat diet was 99% wild game for decades. I use to work crazy hours spring to fall then hunt non stop everyday for 3 or 4 months before heading west for work.   I've owned 100s of guns over the years including hand guns at times. I lived to hunt and shoot back in the day. I still have guns but I'm just not into it like I was anymore.

Yes , almost any gun can be turned into a concealed weapon with a bit of work. As far as turning a semi into full auto it was easy with particular gun makes and models but not most.Its tough and makes them pretty much useless. The majority of centerfire hunting rifles are bolt actions. Not to be insulting but most really serious hunters and shooters won't bother with semi auto center fire rifles. We mostly saw them used by casual hunters.  .22s are a different story. Tons of .22 semis are used are used for plinking, gophers .....  As far as shotguns it would be pumps, double barrel, semi, single break then the rarely seen bolt action.

I am in favour of gun laws that make a REAL difference. Laws that actually do something not just make uninformed  non gun owners happy. I'm a big fan of the PAL licence.  Having your background checked by the RCMP before you can own, posses , borrow,  use a gun makes a whole lot of sense.

As far as hand guns. My understanding is about %80 - %90 of handguns that are confiscated have come across the border. So an outright ban isn't going to do alot. I'm not sure what has changed I  the last 20 years but when I owned them I could only leave my property with a handgun to go to a sanctioned gun range at a particular time. I was required to drive directly there and back with no stops in between. I can't remember the last time I heard of a legal handgun owner shooting someone. I'm sure it must happen but not very often in Canada. I really doubt an outright ban would have any real effect. I suppose it would effect the %10 to %20 of gun crimes that are committed with stolen handguns .I really  don't have a dog in that race so it's not all that big of a deal for me.

I see no reason for any Canadian to own military style weapons. Guns designed and made to kill only people belong in the hands of the military only.

I think alot of the American gun  idiocy makes non gun owners in this country assume it's the same here. It jades their  opinion. 

Edited by the watcher

19 hours ago, WildPath said:

Honestly not gonna bother derailing this thread anymore than it needs to be. You originally claimed you could turn any hunting rifle into a fully automatic and concealed weapon. That is massively false, which you basically admitted by modifying your claim to any semi-automatic made before 1985. I'm fully aware some semi-auto's can be converted and I've even read the SKS can accidentally slip into full auto mode. To say you can make any hunting rifle into a fully automatic weapon is a joke and I'd love to see the stats that the overwhelming majority of hunting rifles used are semi-automatic made before 1985 🤣

Anyway, done with derailing on useless minutia when its obvious your original claim was either incredibly ignorant or intentionally misleading.

You are the one spouting off that all semi automatic rifles are restricted weapons...WHICH IS NOT TRUE AT ALL....and I didn't say that all semi autos before 1985 are legal or non restricted, I said that a semi auto centrefire rifle with a barrell length of 470mm or more is a non-restricted weapon. That is straight up fact that you continued to double down and triple down that they were restricted. 

4 hours ago, the watcher said:

So just a bit if background. I was a big time gun guy for decades. I owned my own 22 at age 12. I was on a championship Jr. Rifle club team. Our meat diet was 99% wild game for decades. I use to work crazy hours spring to fall then hunt non stop everyday for 3 or 4 months before heading west for work.   I've owned 100s of guns over the years including hand guns at times. I lived to hunt and shoot back in the day. I still have guns but I'm just not into it like I was anymore.

Yes , almost any gun can be turned into a concealed weapon with a bit of work. As far as turning a semi into full auto it was easy with particular gun makes and models but not most.Its tough and makes them pretty much useless. The majority of centerfire hunting rifles are bolt actions. Not to be insulting but most really serious hunters and shooters won't bother with semi auto center fire rifles. We mostly saw them used by casual hunters.  .22s are a different story. Tons of .22 semis are used are used for plinking, gophers .....  As far as shotguns it would be pumps, double barrel, semi, single break then the rarely seen bolt action.

I am in favour of gun laws that make a REAL difference. Laws that actually do something not just make uninformed  non gun owners happy. I'm a big fan of the PAL licence.  Having your background checked by the RCMP before you can own, posses , borrow,  use a gun makes a whole lot of sense.

As far as hand guns. My understanding is about %80 - %90 of handguns that are confiscated have come across the border. So an outright ban isn't going to do alot. I'm not sure what has changed I  the last 20 years but when I owned them I could only leave my property with a handgun to go to a sanctioned gun range at a particular time. I was required to drive directly there and back with no stops in between. I can't remember the last time I heard of a legal handgun owner shooting someone. I'm sure it must happen but not very often in Canada. I really doubt an outright ban would have any real effect. I suppose it would effect the %10 to %20 of gun crimes that are committed with stolen handguns .I really  don't have a dog in that race so it's not all that big of a deal for me.

I see no reason for any Canadian to own military style weapons. Guns designed and made to kill only people belong in the hands of the military only.

I think alot of the American gun  idiocy makes non gun owners in this country assume it's the same here. It jades their  opinion. 

Mod kits for semi auto rifles can be purchased easily to make most guns fully automatic. I did overstate being able to do any gun, but MANY popular long rifles can be turned fully automatic quite easily and pretty much all rifles and shotguns can be turned into a concealed weapon easily. They are erratic and dangerous but I don't think that matters to a criminal with that intent.  I disagree that most serious hunters use bolt action, many favor it due to long range accuracy, but many hunters are taught that semi auto is a more ethical choice by many hunter safety instructors. Serious shooters for target practice won't, but many hunters do favor semi auto. I used to guide for goose, bear and deer and the mix was at least 50/50 of what people used.  I can tell you with certainty that semi auto shotguns are heavily favored by serious waterfowlers,

23 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Not in the vast majority of gun crime, but it absolutely 100% matters in mass shootings - the worst of the gun crimes

I again refer your attention to catapults. Imagine the Las Vegas shooter had a catapult with a bump stock installed wooooeeee

What % of gun crime constitutes mass shootings?

GCN20 said " disagree that most serious hunters use bolt action, many favor it due to long range accuracy, but many hunters are taught that semi auto is a more ethical choice by many hunter safety instructors. Serious shooters for target practice won't, but many hunters do favor semi auto. I used to guide for goose, bear and deer and the mix was at least 50/50 of what people used.  I can tell you with certainty that semi auto shotguns are heavily favored by serious 

We will have to agree to disagree. Perhaps it's the group I used to hang with. We were serious hunters/ shooters. Not a semi auto center fire in anyones gun cabinet. Several of them were guides ( big game in northern BC ) several were rifle club instructors and some taught Hunters Safety.  Several have now moved into the super long range shooting now. ( 50 cal stuff )  Never have I heard of a hunter Saftey instructor say use a semi- auto centerfire. It's in no way more ethical. Less accurate equals more wounded and more ruined meat.  If you cant hit what you shoot at , you need to shoot more targets and not take shots that you know wont kill. Over a year I would fire thousands of rounds ( not an exaggeration) so like I said maybe it was the group I hung with.  As far as semi auto shotguns , yes perhaps more are used than I believe but I've seen way, way to many have issues when used in adverse conditions. Almost everyone I shot birds with used pumps.

As far as modifying guns , my only personal experience was glass bedding , filing trigger mechanisms to reduce trigger pull, and a few other minor things for better accuracy.  I did have friends of made full autos out of semis but they were rediculously inaccurate and unmanageable. They scraped them fairly quickly. Many built wildcat calibers but I never got into it.

I will add this bit to end my discussion. The last 15 years I hunted deer were my best. I decided to hunt alone. That is when in my opinion I became an elite deer hunter. I watched them. I studied them. Most evenings I  just watched. I learned more about deer then than in all my previous years. I'd kill 3 a year for food. Most were  standing shots. All but one were one shot kills. My biggest problem those last 15 years were the Yahoo's driving around shooting off the roads at deer on my property and towards me or our buildings.

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

GCN20 said " disagree that most serious hunters use bolt action, many favor it due to long range accuracy, but many hunters are taught that semi auto is a more ethical choice by many hunter safety instructors. Serious shooters for target practice won't, but many hunters do favor semi auto. I used to guide for goose, bear and deer and the mix was at least 50/50 of what people used.  I can tell you with certainty that semi auto shotguns are heavily favored by serious 

We will have to agree to disagree. Perhaps it's the group I used to hang with. We were serious hunters/ shooters. Not a semi auto center fire in anyones gun cabinet. Several of them were guides ( big game in northern BC ) several were rifle club instructors and some taught Hunters Safety.  Several have now moved into the super long range shooting now. ( 50 cal stuff )  Never have I heard of a hunter Saftey instructor say use a semi- auto centerfire. It's in no way more ethical. Less accurate equals more wounded and more ruined meat.  If you cant hit what you shoot at , you need to shoot more targets and not take shots that you know wont kill. Over a year I would fire thousands of rounds ( not an exaggeration) so like I said maybe it was the group I hung with.  As far as semi auto shotguns , yes perhaps more are used than I believe but I've seen way, way to many have issues when used in adverse conditions. Almost everyone I shot birds with used pumps.

As far as modifying guns , my only personal experience was glass bedding , filing trigger mechanisms to reduce trigger pull, and a few other minor things for better accuracy.  I did have friends of made full autos out of semis but they were rediculously inaccurate and unmanageable. They scraped them fairly quickly. Many built wildcat calibers but I never got into it.

I will add this bit to end my discussion. The last 15 years I hunted deer were my best. I decided to hunt alone. That is when in my opinion I became an elite deer hunter. I watched them. I studied them. Most evenings I  just watched. I learned more about deer then than in all my previous years. I'd kill 3 a year for food. Most were  standing shots. All but one were one shot kills. My biggest problem those last 15 years were the Yahoo's driving around shooting off the roads at deer on my property and towards me or our buildings.

I did a fair bit of hunting in my younger years (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) but after awhile, it occurred to me that killing for sport was not something i thought through as I was a first responder at that time, trying to save lives, so i stopped. I can accept hunting for personal food, particularly with a one-shot takedown.

6 hours ago, Tracker said:

I did a fair bit of hunting in my younger years (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) but after awhile, it occurred to me that killing for sport was not something i thought through as I was a first responder at that time, trying to save lives, so i stopped. I can accept hunting for personal food, particularly with a one-shot takedown.

I don't hunt either, but I think it's good that some people do.  The white tails and the honkers no longer have enough predators, and have really adapted to farmland

If no one hunts, then those populations will be controlled by disease epidemics or climate factors - which to an extent already happens

Just one example:

We saw mange run through our local coyote population the past couple winters - I saw one with almost no hair left and literally crying - at our cattle shed

Being harvested by a humane hunter or trapper - would have been a much kinder fate

4 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

LOL

Confirming what everyone already knew- that Canada has its share of home-grown fascists.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Saw this on Twitter in a Newsmax feed, so wasn’t sure if it was real or not, but Global also reported it:

This actually is a public service announcement to help those who were unsure of under which rock the jackholes are hiding.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

Is it just me or does Sloan remind anyone else of the guy in the Handmaids Tale?

Well he does now. Thanks for that.

Sloan, PP and their ilk can’t help themselves from stealing plays from the playbook of Trump and his Magats to froth up knuckle draggers here in our own back yard.

Can’t even come up with their own stuff, and be original, have to copy the wingnuts in the US.

Embarrassing to Canadians.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/alberta-us-presence-details-1.6431901

New documents reveal details of a multimillion-dollar plan from the province of Alberta to promote itself in the United States and expand its international diplomacy in an era of tension over energy policy.

The plans are laid out in two sets of documents filed last month on an American federal website that tracks foreign political activity in the U.S.

Alberta plans to open offices in several U.S. cities, and these filings offer details on a pair of concurrent projects: a $1.7-million American advertising campaign on energy, and a more wide-ranging $2-million public-relations program.

Alberta's enhanced diplomatic presence comes amid impassioned debates over oil and the future of energy production, which have pitted Alberta against the national governments of both Canada and the U.S.

Premier Jason Kenney told a U.S. podcast this week that too many Americans seem unaware of the role Alberta plays, and can play, in supplying the U.S. with energy. He shared an anecdote from his last trip to Washington to illustrate a point: that his province's story isn't being heard in the corridors of federal power.

"I'm schlepping around in a yellow cab, I can barely get a meeting with a janitor in the State Department. But the emir of Oman blows into town … in a 40-car motorcade. And every door is open to him," Kenney told the conservative podcast Ruthless in an episode aired Tuesday.

Jason Kenney is a bum.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I remember Kenney complaining about outside interference in the O&G. As always with the Cons, it's rules thee, not for me. 

I also remember them complaining about wasteful spending by the NDP, this sounds like a lot of taxpayer money being pissed away AGAIN. Very tired of this government treating taxpayer money like their own spending account. 

#BetterOffWithRachel

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I also remember them complaining about wasteful spending by the NDP, this sounds like a lot of taxpayer money being pissed away AGAIN. Very tired of this government treating taxpayer money like their own spending account. 

#BetterOffWithRachel

Accept reality and spend public money on making a transition. Not spending it lobbying to continue a problem that will be magnified in future generations.

It was announced today that big financial gains are being made in the oil sands with Cenovus Energy tripling their dividend and looking to continue increasing the dividend to "share the wealth" with shareholders.

ON THE SAME DAY, it was reported that huge amounts of capital expenditure will be needed to help the oil sands reach carbon goals with around half of that money coming from taxpayers.

Edited by WildPath