Canadian Politics

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/f-35-negotiations-1.6399978

The Liberal government is expected to announce today that it will enter into final negotiations on purchasing the F-35 fighter jet.

Government and industry sources have told The Canadian Press the negotiations with manufacturer Lockheed Martin will be announced at a news conference this afternoon.

The sources spoke on the condition they not be named because they were not authorized to comment publicly.

While this doesn't mean a deal to purchase the stealth fighter is officially done, it does mean Canada is on the verge of finally choosing a replacement for its aging CF-18s.

Should negotiations fall through, the government retains the option to enter into talks with Saab, whose Gripen fighter came second to the F-35 in the competition.

Canada is planning to buy 88 new fighter jets to replace its CF-18s. The government budgeted up to $19 billion for the purchase.

30 minutes ago, JCon said:

Plays well with the base.

I've been thinking about this word base when it comes to the buffoonery we see that has nothing to do with debate and many sides to the issues.

If one is part of this buffoonery you don't deserve the word base. You don't deserve any word that softens your buffoonery. 

On 2022-03-27 at 10:13 AM, GCn20 said:

Wab is not well liked at all except by those who already vote NDP. Many swing voters will not support him and when the inevitable smear campaign that will come against him starts, many people will swing back to the PCs or place their vote elsewhere.  I have no doubt that this is likely to be a majority NDP victory next election, my prediction is simply that Wab does not have the personal appeal to make it a huge majority. I, also, hate to say it but there will be a fair amount of racism against him due to his ethnicity. That saddens me as an indigenous person myself, but if you guys only knew what we hear and overhear on a daily basis from people who pretend not to be racist you would understand. I quite frankly think that there is a fair number of people who do not like this government but will not vote for an indigenous premier. When given the option there is certain amount of the NDP support that likely just doesn't show up to vote. Probably not enough to swing an election but surely enough to keep the NDP seat count down despite what the polls say. 

I hope that Manitoba is better than that, but based on my life experiences I am skeptical, and the very worst of it is in the CIty of Winnipeg. 

It will be interesting if nothing else. I'm not overly familiar with his past but I know bits and pieces. Personally I don't mind if someone has  " dirty laundry ".  As long as they live up to it. As long as they have changed their life. I actually believe that it can make you a better person and leader to have touched the dark side so to speak.  My darkest moments, my mistakes in my life, have done alot  to make me a better human. I don't deny them . I hope I have learned from them.

There have been a few times when I haven't liked Kinews responses during the pandemic  but I've noticed he has shifted or adjusted later to sound pretty damn reasonable. Thats an admirable ability. As a swing voter I am leaning heavily towards him right now.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

the most tone-deaf politician in Canada, possibly...??

So out of touch with the real world. So concerned with appealing to the base to try and avoid the inevitable boot they are preparing for his ass in a leadership review (his only hope is if he can cheat hard enough again) he doesn't understand that keeping his job as ucp leader will alienate the majority of the province and cost him the job as premier. Just no clue that pandering to the worst elements makes you unelectable to the majority.

5fl4gitfw1q81.png?auto=webp&s=9bede4f1b5

Edited by 17to85

hillier.png?crop=1.777xh:h;*,*&downsize=
Watch
MPP Randy Hillier surrenders to police on charges related to convoy protest
  • 2 hours ago
  •  
  • 0:26
  •  
  •  

MPP Randy Hillier surrenders to police on charges related to convoy protestLanark-Frontenac-Kingston MPP Randy Hillier is facing nine charges related to his activities during the convoy protest. He previously used Twitter to encourage people to use police emergency phone lines to complain about efforts to clear downtown streets.

33 minutes ago, the watcher said:

It will be interesting if nothing else. I'm not overly familiar with his past but I know bits and pieces. Personally I don't mind if someone has  " dirty laundry ".  As long as they live up to it. As long as they have changed their life. I actually believe that it can make you a better person and leader to have touched the dark side so to speak.  My darkest moments, my mistakes in my life, have done alot  to make me a better human. I don't deny them . I hope I have learned from them.

There have been a few times when I haven't liked Kinews responses during the pandemic  but I've noticed he has shifted or adjusted later to sound pretty damn reasonable. Thats an admirable ability. As a swing voter I am leaning heavily towards him right now.

The thing is Wab hasn't owned it at all despite the fact the woman he abused has come forward and even has proof of the injuries she sustained. This is why he is not well liked in the native community. His ex is a pretty respected member of the native community and our people believe her.

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

hillier.png?crop=1.777xh:h;*,*&downsize=
Watch
MPP Randy Hillier surrenders to police on charges related to convoy protest
  • 2 hours ago
  •  
  • 0:26
  •  
  •  

MPP Randy Hillier surrenders to police on charges related to convoy protestLanark-Frontenac-Kingston MPP Randy Hillier is facing nine charges related to his activities during the convoy protest. He previously used Twitter to encourage people to use police emergency phone lines to complain about efforts to clear downtown streets.

Just stupid. These people had the right to gather and protest. In fact, I am glad they did. They just did it very stupidly and selfishly and I am glad they will face the consequences of such moronic protest planning.

"The thing is Wab hasn't owned it at all despite the fact the woman he abused has come forward and even has proof of the injuries she sustained. This is why he is not well liked in the native community. His ex is a pretty respected member of the native community and our people believe her."

Then he should own up to it. Maybe I'm wrong and it would hurt him. But personally if it was a heart felt admition I would admire it more than the weepy apologies we have seen from other leaders when their past is revealed.

Edited by the watcher

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

The thing is Wab hasn't owned it at all despite the fact the woman he abused has come forward and even has proof of the injuries she sustained. This is why he is not well liked in the native community. His ex is a pretty respected member of the native community and our people believe her.

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

Then he should own up to it. Maybe I'm wrong and it would hurt him. But personally if it was a heart felt admition I would admire it more than the weepy apologies we have seen from other leaders when their past is revealed.

Domestic assault charges that were placed against Wab in 2003 were stayed by the crown. That doesn't make him innocent necessarily, but let's be clear that these are unproven allegations that GCn20 is referring to. To this day Wab denies hitting or throwing the woman at the center of these allegations (her name is out there publicly in the papers but I'll not put it here out of respect).

As for his other charges stemming from fights with cabbies and impaired driving, he has unequivocally apologized for pain he's caused directly or collaterally and has even been pardoned for both convictions. He straight up acknowledges he wasn't a great guy in his teens and twenties and his struggles with alcohol certainly exacerbated it. Since his parents helped him enter into rehabilitation he has reportedly stayed clean and sober and has not had any incidents with the law. He's attended AA as well as embracing more 'traditional methods' involving sweat lodges and fasting. He committed to making himself a better person and so far it seems to be working, in my opinion.

A quote:

"These are not episodes in my life I'm proud of," Kinew said. "I struggled with alcohol, and that caused me to behave in ways that weren't healthy for me, or those around me. When the alcohol stopped, so did the fights. Violence, racism, and sexism are unacceptable. I've apologized unequivocally, and I do so again: to anyone I harmed, I am sorry.

"Because of my past, I understand the challenges of young people in our society who are struggling with the same things I was — alcohol, addictions, anger. I know that they can do better, because I learned how to do better," Kinew said.

Above, a CBC interview very pointedly asking him about the charges when they resurfaced thanks to some anonymous tips during the leadership race vs COVID jet-setter Nikki Ashton
Edited by MOBomberFan

14 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Domestic assault charges that were placed against Wab in 2003 were stayed by the crown. That doesn't make him innocent necessarily, but let's be clear that these are unproven allegations that GCn20 is referring to. To this day Wab denies hitting or throwing the woman at the center of these allegations (her name is out there publicly in the papers but I'll not put it here out of respect).

As for his other charges stemming from fights with cabbies and impaired driving, he has unequivocally apologized for pain he's caused directly or collaterally and has even been pardoned for both convictions. He straight up acknowledges he wasn't a great guy in his teens and twenties and his struggles with alcohol certainly exacerbated it. Since his parents helped him enter into rehabilitation he has reportedly stayed clean and sober and has not had any incidents with the law. He's attended AA as well as embracing more 'traditional methods' involving sweat lodges and fasting. He committed to making himself a better person and so far it seems to be working, in my opinion.

A quote:

"These are not episodes in my life I'm proud of," Kinew said. "I struggled with alcohol, and that caused me to behave in ways that weren't healthy for me, or those around me. When the alcohol stopped, so did the fights. Violence, racism, and sexism are unacceptable. I've apologized unequivocally, and I do so again: to anyone I harmed, I am sorry.

"Because of my past, I understand the challenges of young people in our society who are struggling with the same things I was — alcohol, addictions, anger. I know that they can do better, because I learned how to do better," Kinew said.

Above, a CBC interview very pointedly asking him about the charges when they resurfaced thanks to some anonymous tips during the leadership race vs COVID jet-setter Nikki Ashton

Niki Ashton never ran for leadership of the NDP. Steve did, As for Wab's admission of guilt, he only apologized for the crimes he was convicted of and were public record. He owes the woman he beat up an apology, at the very least, and his case was only stayed because of procedural reasons. He got away with it in a court of law but not in the court of public opinion.  Like I said, there are a great many indigenous people who know Wab very well and have known him for many years, they believe the alleged victim is being honest. 

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

Niki Ashton never ran for leadership of the NDP. Steve did, As for Wab's admission of guilt, he only apologized for the crimes he was convicted of and were public record. He owes the woman he beat up an apology, at the very least, and his case was only stayed because of procedural reasons. He got away with it in a court of law but not in the court of public opinion. 

LOL there I go mixing up my Ashton's again

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

LOL there I go mixing up my Ashton's again

They are basically the same, one a little more public with her love of dictatorships, terrorism, and anti-semitism. Steve is too savvy to wear his heart on his sleeve because he had leadership aspirations.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

A quote:

Thanks for that. 

On 2022-03-28 at 12:22 PM, 17to85 said:

So out of touch with the real world. So concerned with appealing to the base to try and avoid the inevitable boot they are preparing for his ass in a leadership review (his only hope is if he can cheat hard enough again) he doesn't understand that keeping his job as ucp leader will alienate the majority of the province and cost him the job as premier. Just no clue that pandering to the worst elements makes you unelectable to the majority.

5fl4gitfw1q81.png?auto=webp&s=9bede4f1b5

Reality is OK with ppl ******* his wife tho. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

CPCs sink, again, to a new low. 

That party needs to publicly denounce stuff like this for any hope of credibility. They've gone so far off the deep end and I'm concerned they're dragging down a section of people who vote conservative no matter what with them. There's people who believe this garbage BECAUSE they hear it from the politicians.

Unfortunately they won't denounce it, at least not as strongly as they should. For god sakes, they've embraced Bergen of all people as their interim leader and Pollievre is a front-runner for next leader.

I saw this tweet recently which sums up how I feel right now:

The very sad state of conservativism in Canada 2022. Jason Kenney, Scott Moe, Doug Ford, Pierre Poilievre, Candice Bergen: This is their best. Their very best.

2 hours ago, WildPath said:

The very sad state of conservativism in Canada 2022. Jason Kenney, Scott Moe, Doug Ford, Pierre Poilievre, Candice Bergen: This is their best. Their very best.

Yeah man. I think about possible replacement for Kenney within the UCP as premier and I laugh because as deplorable and without merit as a leader as Jason Kenney is, he is hands down the very best choice they have. 

13 hours ago, WildPath said:

That party needs to publicly denounce stuff like this for any hope of credibility. They've gone so far off the deep end and I'm concerned they're dragging down a section of people who vote conservative no matter what with them. There's people who believe this garbage BECAUSE they hear it from the politicians.

Unfortunately they won't denounce it, at least not as strongly as they should. For god sakes, they've embraced Bergen of all people as their interim leader and Pollievre is a front-runner for next leader.

Whatever, it's up to the party to realize their problems and correct them, if they don't they'll continue to kick the can down the road and will never get elected.  At some point a strong conservative group in the East will get nostalgic for the old PC brand and  divorce themselves from the Western crackpots who stole the banner in 1993 when Preston Manning ejaculated upon Canada.  As far as this **** goes, the finger always points back to origins in Alberta, the home of dumb politics.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the current price of oil is buoying things, but the second it crashes again.....good night, sweet prince.....

Sure...it's helping but gone are the hay days of the boom and that is unlikely to happen again. Alberta's in a real tough spot too. Without the oil industry there isn't a ton going on there.

Edited by GCn20

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sure...it's helping but gone are the hay days of the boom and that is unlikely to happen again. Alberta's in a real tough spot too. Without the oil industry there isn't a ton going on there.

Funny (??) story: They (UCP) actually got rid of an NDP tax credit to entice tech companies to move there. I've read stories of at least 2 different companies that were going to set up shop in Calgary (and help a downtown that is a ghost town, thanks to O/G companies taking money and then moving their office to Houston) and decided not to, because they felt the government was against new tech. It's just wild....they really think oil is going to be around forever and there is zero back up plan for when it's not.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Whatever, it's up to the party to realize their problems and correct them, if they don't they'll continue to kick the can down the road and will never get elected.  At some point a strong conservative group in the East will get nostalgic for the old PC brand and  divorce themselves from the Western crackpots who stole the banner in 1993 when Preston Manning ejaculated upon Canada.  As far as this **** goes, the finger always points back to origins in Alberta, the home of dumb politics.

I agree to some extent, but I also think they influence beliefs of people rather than just reflect the beliefs of people. When people see our official opposition saying things like 'dictator' I'm worried more people will think that is a credible belief.

I'd like nothing more to see the party crash and burn, but I think they are doing a lot of damage along the way. Trumpism in the United States made anti-democracy and racism acceptable, I'm worried we may be going down that path thanks to a spineless CPC party and populists like Pollievre.

Edited by WildPath