Canadian Politics

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Ironic that we need vaccine mandates because we have so many selfish, self-centered, d-bags. If everyone acted responsibly and respectfully of others, "mandates" would disappear. 

But hey almost two years in with a mountain of evidence of what to do to curb this pandemic we’re told by some to kill these morons you accurately describe with kindness.

Today is a really sad day for me. I had hoped what we've seen in the US come to the fore during the Trump years would galvanize us against going down the same road. I had hoped conservative politicians would show leadership and create intentional separation between themselves and the far right.

I thought we were better as a country. Nazi flags, partying at the war memorial, Prime Minister needing to be moved, defacing Terry Fox statue - this in a cause that was known to have ties to the far right, yet was encouraged by self-serving politicians with real power in our country. I'm not sure where we go from this level of divisiveness now and I'm genuinely scared for our future.

Edited by WildPath

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Ya it's very much normalized out here... The general hate toward anyone or anything that doesn't match what they believe in. The things I've heard at the local curling rink would turn your stomach. 

I haven’t lived in Olds since 2006 but that doesn’t surprise me. The amount of racist garbage I heard in my short time there was staggering and that was with the Harper government. 
My reasonable, kind hearted (aka left wing radical) brother who still lives there has been baseline mood disgusted for years now. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

A placard put on a statue of beloved Terry Fox reading Mandate Freedom.

What??

Derp Derp Derpidity Derp

The people or person who did this should be forced to apologize to the family of Terry Fox on national television and be fined heavily for being THE stupidest person on this planet (and maybe universe dunno).

I’m embarrassed as a human being.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

So apparently some of these Convoy aholes harrassed staff at a homeless shelter, demanding food. Staff gave it to them to avoid a huge issue. These people are evil.

lol.

arrogant, stupid, freeloading , toothless,  stinking,  stained gotch,  illiterate hillbilly jobless bums, nazi/KKK  racists defacing tributes to  truly selfless, heroic Canadians.

Probably a lot of them with criminal records, not paying child maintenance wife beating.

losers all. burdens on society. 

not fit to lick the dirt off the sole of Terry Fox 's shoe.

All the attention will just make it worse probably

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

lol.

arrogant, stupid, freeloading , toothless,  stinking,  stained gotch,  illiterate hillbilly jobless bums, nazi/KKK  racists defacing tributes to  truly selfless, heroic Canadians.

Probably a lot of them with criminal records, not paying child maintenance wife beating.

losers all. burdens on society.  not fit to lick the dirt off the sole of Terry Fox 's shoe.  All the attention will just make it worse probably

It would probably be best for all the news media to simply say, " The bunch of idiots in the Trucker parade defaced a memorial, carried a Nazi flag and extorted food from a charity" and leave it at that. The Sun would probably print that " bold heroes expressed themselves vigorously."

I don't care what I was protesting , old man or not, if someone is carrying a Nazi flag by me the war is back on. These damn cowards down there protesting  are to gutless, or have no problem with Nazis  so they allow it in their protest.The same with what went on at the tomb of the unknown soldier.  It's disgusting.

1 minute ago, the watcher said:

I don't care what I was protesting , old man or not, if someone is carrying a Nazi flag by me the war is back on. These damn cowards down there protesting  are to gutless, or have no problem with Nazis  so they allow it in their protest.The same with what went on at the tomb of the unknown soldier.  It's disgusting.

From Today's Jerusalem Post:

Swastikas displayed at Canadian ‘Freedom Convoy’ protests against vaccination mandates
By SHIRA HANAU/JTA  4 hrs ago

Swastikas and other symbols of hate were on display amid a sea of Canadian flags as part of the Canadian “Freedom Convoy” protests against vaccination mandates in Ottawa over the weekend.

The protests, which were organized by Canadian truckers in response to a vaccination mandate placed on truckers returning to Canada from the United States, took place Saturday and attracted thousands to Canada’s capitol city. The protests featured a range of groups comparing vaccine mandates to fascism and displaying Canadian flags, and sometimes American flags, upside down. Many protesters held signs with profanity-filled messages for Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Among the symbols displayed at the protests were swastikas and, in at least one instance, the Confederate flag.

A member of parliament from the Conservative party, Michael Cooper, went out to show support to the protesters and was interviewed by a Canadian news channel as a protester with a Canadian flag covered in swastikas walked behind him.

Cooper later released a statement saying he did not know that the symbol was behind him and that if he had, he would have condemned it. “He or she does not represent the thousands of peaceful protesters who waved Canadian flags and acted responsibly. I stand with them and will continue to fight with them,” he wrote in a statement posted to Twitter.
Journalists who reported on the protests said they were subjected to hate speech and violence themselves, with one reporter for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation being called a “slave blooded traitor” after asking for an interview with those organizing the protest.

Former US President Donald Trump gave the Canadian protesters a shoutout at a rally in Texas Saturday. “We want those great Canadian truckers to know that we are with them all the way,” Trump said. “They are doing more to defend American freedom than our leaders by far.”

Bruce Heyman, who served as the US Ambassador to Canada from 2014 to 2017, condemned the displays of swastikas and other symbols of hate.

“Both the use of the swastika and the confederate flag are symbols of extreme hate. So very sad to see these symbols anywhere and especially in Canada,” he wrote in a tweet.

I'd like to know how many of these people at the " truckers protest " are actually truckers. Even the ones who actually drove trucks.  A good percentage ,maybe half of farms have semis now, or often multiple semis. That doesn't make them truckers. A trucker is someone who makes his living trucking. I have my class 1 and drove trucks both in  construction and farming but I'm not a trucker.

Edited by the watcher

AN AMERICAN VIEW OF THE CANADIAN TRUCKER CONVOY

Canada’s Anti-Vax Answer to Jan. 6 Is an Indefinite Blockade of Ottawa

OTTAWA—The downtown of Canada’s capital is indefinitely gridlocked, as thousands of vehicles have descended on the city to rage against COVID-19 restrictions. The protest—which some have warned could spiral into Canada’s own version of the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol—was months in the making and culminated in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau being whisked off to a secure location Saturday.

Diesel fumes hang over the whole frigid city, and the honking of horns ran from sun-up to midnight. The brigade of disgruntled anti-vaxxers won’t be leaving, they say, anytime soon.

The busy streets in front of Canada’s Parliament buildings are now frozen, with a line-up of 18-wheelers, rigs, RVs, trucks, SUVs and cars essentially shutting the downtown core. The protesters have come from all across the country, with some driving more than 2,500 miles to be in Ottawa.

The convoy has branded itself as a trucker protest, objecting to COVID-19 vaccine requirements for those who haul goods across the U.S.-Canada border, but in reality it is a rejection of virtually every policy and public health measure put in place to fight the pandemic.

Now that thousands, perhaps more than 10,000, protesters have shut down Canada’s capital, they say they want all vaccine requirements quashed and Trudeau removed from office.

The cross-country convoy has become a cause célèbre for the international right-wing—from Tucker Carlson to Joe Rogan and even Donald Trump and Don Jr.— as a symbol of resistance against what they see as the tyranny of government vaccine mandates.

The blockade is perhaps the most drastic, organized, COVID-19-inspired demonstration the world has yet seen. Its organizers are a Voltron of various political factions: There’s the right-wing nationalist who is vowing to blockade MPs’ homes; the QAnon follower who wants Trudeau tried for treason; the political activist running a $7 million fundraiser, trying desperately to stop GoFundMe from seizing the dough; and a plethora of other characters who have assembled to shut down the capital.

Their mix of pseudo-science, grassroots organizing, and a dash of legal mysticism have combined to create a really potent rally cry.

More at: Canada’s Anti-Vax Answer to Jan. 6 Is an Indefinite Blockade of Ottawa (thedailybeast.com)

What an embarrassing, utterly disgraceful moment for this country. A bunch of deranged, hysterical narcissists disrupting a city because they're scared, misinformed, and ignorant, pretending they've been oppressed because of a public health emergency.

Waving Gadsen, Confederate, Nazi, Blue Line, F*ck Trudeau flags; urinating on the war memorial; harassing employees and patrons at a soup kitchen; throwing beer cans at media members; threatening elected officials. And that's only the **** we've heard of thus far. **** the "few bad apples" nonsense with this petulant, nonsensical protest. You're all complicit in this pathetic display that's nothing more than a tantrum by entitled oxygen thieves. Shame on all of you.

And most of all: shame on Brian Peckford. What an opportunistic dummy, trying to sue the feds and propping up his stance because he "helped" draft the Charter. 

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What an embarrassing, utterly disgraceful moment for this country. A bunch of deranged, hysterical narcissists disrupting a city because they're scared, misinformed, and ignorant, pretending they've been oppressed because of a public health emergency.

Waving Gadsen, Confederate, Nazi, Blue Line, F*ck Trudeau flags; urinating on the war memorial; harassing employees and patrons at a soup kitchen; throwing beer cans at media members; threatening elected officials. And that's only the **** we've heard of thus far. **** the "few bad apples" nonsense with this petulant, nonsensical protest. You're all complicit in this pathetic display that's nothing more than a tantrum by entitled oxygen thieves. Shame on all of you.

And most of all: shame on Brian Peckford. What an opportunistic dummy, trying to sue the feds and propping up his stance because he "helped" draft the Charter. 

I often mock the U.S. for having Trumpy Republicans, who are mainly disgusting people.  Turns out I should shut my mouth.  Canada has their fair share of horrible people.

13 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

‘pretending they’ve been oppressed because of a public health emergency’.

Well put.

No matter how anyone rationalizes this, tries to counter it with nonsense, lies and misinformation no one will be able to reconcile this. 

This has been interesting to watch. If you compare this protest to similar protests that have been put on by, let's call them, more left leaning groups. The Right and Left have basically flipped sides....as in, the left want the cops to come in to clear them out, call all the protestors vile names etc and for the most part are brushing aside most if not all of the protestors demands/points etc.
But when it was BLM or pipeline protests the Left was aware that there would be bad apples present and assured the media etc that it was these "agents" or "bad apples" that were responsible for any damage to property or violence etc.

I think it'd be naïve to assume there are no agent provocateurs' present in ottawa right now. I also think it'd be silly to assume that everyone there truly wants the best for Canada and it's people. There's always going to be **** heads when large groups gather. Basically I just find it odd how the two bases (Left and Right) have essentially flipped sides on protestors but don't seem to realize it. They're essentially making the same arguments the other side made just months(or years) ago. But at that time, the other side was just an insane group of (hippies/antifa/rednecks/facists/etc).

Something else I've thought about is IF the nazi symbols being used are in fact via agent provocateurs', what does it say that 1)nazi symbols aren't present in typical Left leaning protests. (Why only when it's the right? I think we all know why...but you'd think the organizers would be prepared for this and address it immediately and with aggression.) And 2) I have yet to see/hear anyone from a leadership group of this protest denounce those symbols or people. Maybe it's happened and I just haven't seen it, I don't watch cable news and I haven't seen anything on any SM accounts. I hope that it's happened there and it just didn't make it's way to SM. And I do not accept "ignore those people" as a solution. I've seen a few protestors say this is what they've been told...and I would not accept that as a solution to nazis.

I would also warn others here to not take videos/tweets/pictures etc as gospel around this thing. They don't tell the whole story. I know of at least a few video clips that on the surface look/sound very bad...but in reality were tongue and cheek rather than hateful. Saying that, I do believe there is a large amount of information showing this protest to be what most in Canada assume it is.