Broke The Site Bad

Rich

Had a bit of a catastrophic event this morning.  An upgrade gone horribly bad.  Broke the server so daily database backups couldn't be used.

Had to revert to a whole server backup which only occurs weekly ... on Tuesdays ... so yeah, almost a week wiped out.

Not a good morning...

• Rich featured and pinned this topic
2 minutes ago, Chaosmonkey said:

Was it a plan to do an upgrade during a bye week, incase something broke? Because kudos to you for that foresight. If it wasn't planned, just take the credit anyway =)

Wasn't planned.  That might be part of the problem. :)

Actually, here is an interesting question for everyone.

There are some things I could have tried, but only from home, and I won't be home until after 10:30 tonight (Jets better win tonight).  So my choices were revert back to last Tuesday or keep the site down for the day and probably get it back with a couple hours work (I'd say my odds were 80 / 20).

Which would you have preferred?   

1) Have the site down all day and wait until tonight to find out if I can get it back.

2) Lose 5 days of posts

My reasoning is it sucks to lose all those posts. but it is usually the current and ongoing dialogue that is more important.  Any other thoughts?

And lesson learnt, no more remote upgrades.....   I seriously didn't think that a failed upgrade could do what it did....

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

Actually, here is an interesting question for everyone.

There are some things I could have tried, but only from home, and I won't be home until after 10:30 tonight (Jets better win tonight).  So my choices were revert back to last Tuesday or keep the site down for the day and probably get it back with a couple hours work (I'd say my odds were 80 / 20).

Which would you have preferred?   

1) Have the site down all day and wait until tonight to find out if I can get it back.

2) Lose 5 days of posts

My reasoning is it sucks to lose all those posts. but it is usually the current and ongoing dialogue that is more important.  Any other thoughts?

And lesson learnt, no more remote upgrades.....   I seriously didn't think that a failed upgrade could do what it did....

either is fine, but the serious question is... did we lose all our likes of the posts that are no longer around?  I dont always post well, but when i do, those likes become my sustenance lol jk

25 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

honestly losing posts is OK by me. It's easy to catch up on the usual posting here. 

Willy sucks

Nichols is great

**** BC

LOL Montreal

that sums up most of the talk right now. 

See. This is why it was important to have the last 5 days. He forgot to mention how bad the Argos are....

Have the site up with the days lost. And thanks for all your work on the site.

2 hours ago, mbrg said:

So what you're saying is we have to re-do all of last week's arguing?

I'm up for that!

Bombers have NO CHANCE in BC - anyone who suggests otherwise is an ignorant fool!!!

Care to make it interesting? I'll bet you $1000 bucks the Bombers beat BC. I'll even give you 5:1 odds, since I'm such a nice guy. :-)

I feel really confident in this bet, since I read the 2016 version of this:

bttf2_almanac_biffs_garage.jpg

You gotta be ******* kidding me! I did my best work just yesterday! LOL!

No worries, Rich. If **** didn't happen from time to time we'd forget that you are human and that machines aren't infallible. I'd like to echo everyone else and say that you do one hell of a good job and that Bomber fans are lucky to have someone like you around. Thanks again for the great job you do.

I usually take a 3 or 4 day hiatus after games (win or lose) so I look forward to coming beck to see what I missed... so while this is disappointing I have to agree with most around here... **** happens, we'll survive... I appreciate all the work Rich and the guys do here...