Medlock the Mising Link

sportmentary2012

It is not often that a kicker can change the complexion of a team but the addition of Medlcok combined with his stellar play is one of if not the major reason for the Bombers turn around.  For example, Hallalarhu misses a make able field goal late just before the Bombers surge whereas Medlock boots a 51 yarder to pull the Bombers within 7. Points taken off the board by a missed kick vs. points obtained = Bomber win.  the Bombers don't extend their win streak without him. Walters deserves GM of the year just for signing him.

Agree or disagree??

From what I remember walters would have resigned LH after that phenomenal rookie campaign but LH wanted to go to the NFL after his contract was up. Signing medlock was out of necessity and a bit of a knock at first was the reported 175k contract. Obviously Medlock has earned every penny of that contract and it was the right move in hindsight but walters credit is due for much more the other things hes done. I dont think they have a GMOY award but hes argueably had the best year between the other 8

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If we had just an average kicker we'd probably be a 4 win team. 

Medlock has kicked at least two field goals in every game in our win streak, except for the Banjo Bowl, where he only kicked one.

If we take two of those FGs away in each game (and don't turn them into enemy TDs or our rouges) then we go 6-1 instead of 7-0, with the lone extra loss being the LDC.

Love the guy and how he helps peck teams to death, but is his impact overstated?  I think our ballhawking D deserves the biggest credit for our turnaround.  It'll be interesting to see what happens when those turnovers dry up.

(edit: but yeah, the medsiah name is pretty awesome.)

Edited by johnzo

Just now, johnzo said:

Medlock has kicked at least two field goals in every game in our win streak, except for the Banjo Bowl, where he only kicked one.

If we take two of those FGs away in each game (and don't turn them into enemy TDs or our rouges) then we go 6-1 instead of 7-0, with the lone extra loss being the LDC.

Love the guy and how he helps peck teams to death, but is his impact overstated?  I think our ballhawking D deserves the biggest credit for our turnaround.  It'll be interesting to see what happens if/when those turnovers dry up, as they will someday.

The out of the two lowest in the season. What if his 5+ fg games where more human? hes kicked 17 fgs out side of 40 yards. 17.

Games where he kicks 5+ attempts. 29/31 94%. We won all those games. Our points off turn overs has been dismal in many games, and tons of times we've been kicking field goals when we do score off those turn overs.

Sure the D making plays is huge. But weve seen slow stints in the turn overs and those games ground to a dead heat. Not to mention the D in the last 3 games has been far poorer then prior to that. With the riders driving the ball at will, and a mediocre qb tossing 4 tds against us. 

week 3 vs hamilton we won by 4, he kicked 4 fgs /12 points. 4/6           

week 6 vs edmonton we won by 7 he kicked 5 fgs / 15 points.  5/5        

week 10 vs montreal  we won by 14 he kicked 6 / 18 points. 6/6            

week 11 vs crieders we won by 3 he kicked 7 fgs / 21 points. 7/8           

week 13 vs the argos we won by 17 he kicked 6 / 18 points. 6/6             

if we had westwood kicking we might win one of those games. 

If the D didnt put us in position and save some games we would be similarly bad. But thats not taking into consideration his clutch punting. But being put in a position to win and executing is the difference between a good team and a bad team. Look at the late game scare vs ssk. 

26 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

After 12 games Medlock's kicked 41 field goals. The existing record is Westwood's 47 in 1993. Barring injury, it's a dead cert that Medlock breaks that record, probably soon.

If he averages 3 field goals a game the rest of the way he would tie the all time record for most in a season 59

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

only in a Lapolice offense. Why try and score TDs when we can just line up for field goals? 

Posted this in another thread - but it's bloody good and it fits here:

The current winning streak simply doesn't happen with the kicking we got last year. With a conservative offense he is often asked to make long kicks - and he delivers. He's a big part of why the conservative O game plan is working as well as it is. When you know you can get three points, you're less likely to throw risky passes or run high risk,  high reward plays.

4 hours ago, johnzo said:

Love the guy and how he helps peck teams to death, but is his impact overstated?  I think our ballhawking D deserves the biggest credit for our turnaround.  It'll be interesting to see what happens when those turnovers dry up.

(edit: but yeah, the medsiah name is pretty awesome.)

It's more than that though... I can't remember the last time the Bombers had a kicker they could place faith in. Is his impact overstated? Probably, but the kicker position is somewhere the Bombers have struggled with and had mediocrity for far too long. Palardy, anyone?

6 hours ago, sportmentary2012 said:

It is not often that a kicker can change the complexion of a team but the addition of Medlcok combined with his stellar play is one of if not the major reason for the Bombers turn around.  For example, Hallalarhu misses a make able field goal late just before the Bombers surge whereas Medlock boots a 51 yarder to pull the Bombers within 7. Points taken off the board by a missed kick vs. points obtained = Bomber win.  the Bombers don't extend their win streak without him. Walters deserves GM of the year just for signing him.

Agree or disagree??

He's won the last couple games no doubt.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Medlock is expensive and worth it. I no longer hold my breath when we line up for a FG, no matter how far out it is. Medlock has changed the way the coaches make their decisions.  We can now go for long FG's instead of punting because we aren't out of Medlock's range. I don't think we'd be on our current win streak without him.

47 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Medlock is expensive and worth it. I no longer hold my breath when we line up for a FG, no matter how far out it is. Medlock has changed the way the coaches make their decisions.  We can now go for long FG's instead of punting because we aren't out of Medlock's range. I don't think we'd be on our current win streak without him.

Pretty much this. When he trots out to kick a FG between the 40-50 I'm already standing up and clapping cause I know it's made. Absolutely worth every $$$ spent. But I honestly can't say he has been the only reason for this win streak. Lots goes to the D and ST as a whole and I give props to Lapo and O'shea for running a conservative O to generate enough complimenting points and good use of challenges and clock management. 

On 9/20/2016 at 9:36 PM, Eternal optimist said:

It's more than that though... I can't remember the last time the Bombers had a kicker they could place faith in. Is his impact overstated? Probably, but the kicker position is somewhere the Bombers have struggled with and had mediocrity for far too long. Palardy, anyone?

Idk we put trust into lirim and palardy but it didnt pan out long term. Weve never had a kicker like medlock before, and Id say youd have to go to the pre westwood era for the last time we had a long term reliable high level kicker.