Can we beat calgary?

wbbfan

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Calgary is in a league of their own this season. Clear cut grey cup favourites. But the road will be through Calgary to make it to the grey cup so might as well show that they can beat them this week. 

yet they still only have 2 more wins than the Bombers do. It's time as Bomber fans to realize that our team is actually one of the best teams in the league too. 

could be wrong, but wasn't Calgary pretty lucky with a couple of the wins? B.C had them beaten didn't they? and Edmonton too in one of their games.

When they beat wpg, their receivers made a bunch of remarkable highlight catches. don't think they do that every game.

I think Calgary is overrated. The team is not in another category altogether from the rest of the league. Which is the way people seem to think of them.

They're a good team, I think they have a very good head coach, but they're beatable and due for a loss.

Edited by Mark F
@ edit.

I believe this is an entirely winnable game, but our guys have to go in there with that goal in mind.  They have to realize this is the measuring stick, this is where they earn the respect.  They need to be driven right from the first whistle.  The penalties need to be cut down like they were in the beginning of the season and we need to cap off those 7 minute dink and dunk drives with touch downs. 

Mitchell can be dangerous sometimes when he is flushed out of the pocket but I think we almost guarantee an interception or two if we do manage to get him throwing on the run consistently like we did in Toronto.  Toronto hurt us when they flushed out of the pocket but I don't believe Mitchell enjoys the broken down plays as often.

Lets go Bombers! Show Canada that you are the number 1 team in the league this year.  Let's defeat Calgary and take one of the games against BC to show that we can compete.

15 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

How many times have seen really good Calgary teams choke it away in the playoffs with the way they have played they should have more than 2 cups in the last 10 years

They're only one injury to to BLM away from faltering.  Tate is too slack to pick up the slack.

Exhibit "A"

crop_19510531853.jpg

Exhibit "B"

4b95cc4feb513e065a3e8d6eb4776929.jpg

17 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

How many times have seen really good Calgary teams choke it away in the playoffs with the way they have played they should have more than 2 cups in the last 10 years

Burris and Glenn at qb for extended periods will do that though. BLM is less of a choker, just had to contend with some other pretty good teams lately. Edmonton last year had a real tough D. 

5 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Calgary is in a league of their own this season. Clear cut grey cup favourites. But the road will be through Calgary to make it to the grey cup so might as well show that they can beat them this week. 

Definitely reminds me of the 1981 season.  We had a great football team, but unless we could convince Joe Montana and Jerry Rice to move to Winnipeg we weren't going to beat the Eskimos that year.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Definitely reminds me of the 1981 season.  We had a great football team, but unless we could convince Joe Montana and Jerry Rice to move to Winnipeg we weren't going to beat the Eskimos.

or 2001 when we were the best team all year, and then Calgary took the cup!

Edmonton beat 'em (and we beat Edmonton, in Edmonton), Ottawa tied 'em - Calgary is a good football team but I feel they are overdue for a loss. On top of that, they just clinched a playoff berth last week. Doesn't happen in the CFL that often (since they play weekly), but in the NHL on long road trips or back-to-back games, sometimes great NHL will take a night off and lose to a far inferior team.

So in conclusion... if the Bombers show up, Calgary skates lazily and the game is played on ice, we have a chance.

3 hours ago, Jaxon said:

or 2001 when we were the best team all year, and then Calgary took the cup!

Calgary got hot that year just as Winnipeg got cooler later in the year.  In this case both teams are white hot.  One team has to start cooling off.  I would prefer it to be Calgary but that's a tough one this year.

It will be a tough game, BLM and the Stamps at home are dominant last few years. Crazy dominant, and not just against us.

I think we will rise to the occasion and it will be a close game. That's a victory for me but I know the team feels differently... they will be chomping at the   bit to get a W and fight for first place in the west, at least 2nd.

This season is turning into a very memorable one for me, beating the  unwashed masses in S'katchewan on LD and at the BB ... how could ask for anything more? Dare we dream to end our other streak? Yes. Let's dare to dream.

9 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Edmonton beat 'em (and we beat Edmonton, in Edmonton), Ottawa tied 'em - Calgary is a good football team but I feel they are overdue for a loss. On top of that, they just clinched a playoff berth last week. Doesn't happen in the CFL that often (since they play weekly), but in the NHL on long road trips or back-to-back games, sometimes great NHL will take a night off and lose to a far inferior team.

So in conclusion... if the Bombers show up, Calgary skates lazily and the game is played on ice, we have a chance.

Well we did beat them on close to ice a couple years ago... you might be on to something... :D