Miller starting contract extension talks with Walters O'Shea

Jpan85

6 hours ago, Mike said:

I also don't think you can give O'Shea anything less than 3 years. He signed for 3 years originally, you're extending him because he's done what you ask him to and now you give him less security than when you first hired him? I can't see it.

Many people call years 1 and 2 a failure. I don't. I call them building the foundation.

Was this year a failure for Saskatchewan? Or was it the time necessary to build the foundation for what is shaping up to be a pretty good team?

Okay, enlighten me, what has he done to earn 3 or more years? 

I certainly can't talk for Mike but I will say that the steps Mike O'Shea has taken, with the blessing of Miller and Walters, in valuing character in the dressing room has helped the change of the how Winnipeg is perceived throughout the league. We are now a go to place. And a lot of that is the reputation of Mike O'Shea as the Head Coach. I don't know how much value you can attach to that but I think it's enormous.

Mike O'Shea, in his own words, when asked, has said that he doesn't try to emulate any Coach, but he has taken the words of the wise to heart. He's said that he doesn't try to be someone he isn't. He's says he's honest and wants to come across as authentic. The players see this and respond accordingly.

Again, how much value does that bring?

If you've listened to commentators and sport writers, many have said how they cannot believe how much knowledge O'Shea has about the game. And we're seeing more and more of it now.

We want that continuity. That brings stability. That then brings winning. 

And who doesn't want that?

Sign him, sign him now, and let's continue the winning.

11 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Let's not be silly and pretend this is a good idea.  I'd give O'Shea 2 and Walters 3 and if O'Shea continues winning, I'd happily pay him more for his third  contract.  No need to follow in the footsteps of our Sask. neighbours throwing money away on contract buyouts, especially since this regime has only produced one winning season so far.  A lot of bad things can happen in 4 years, believe it or not.

I'm all for signing Walters but if it's 5 years for Walters & 4 years for O'Shea then I'm afraid that it would cripple the Bombers financially if the team failed in the standings under both of them & a change in both positions had to be made.

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd prefer 3 for both but given how I was wrong about how this year will go........

If people here were to stop posting opinions simply because they were repeatedly shown to be egregious wrong , this site would be a ghost town. Never back down.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm all for signing Walters but if it's 5 years for Walters & 4 years for O'Shea then I'm afraid that it would cripple the Bombers financially if the team failed in the standings under both of them & a change in both positions had to be made.

4 years for a HC that was on the hot seat for a good portion of this season is too much. Especially in the cfl. Weve had too many years in the past paying 2+ coaching staffs worth of guys.  Especially with our ticket sales this year.

4 or 5 for walters is good imop, hes done a fantastic job finding talent via all means. 

Mos Id say 2 years plus a team option would be ideal. 

I'm OK with - 5 yrs for Walters and 3 yrs for O'Shea 

I love how Walters improved the Canadian content of this team over the course of 3 seasons after Mack left the cup bare. And you need stability in the GM position. Bombers still need some good turnout from their US scouting though. 

I think 3 years for Head Coach is the norm. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

4 minutes ago, yogi said:

If we let O'Shea walk away, probably to be head coach in Toronto or Montreal, and sign a new head coach, guess how long the new coach's contact will be?

(hint: the answer is 3 years)

But ya, our current head coach deserves less than a guy walking in off the street...

Presumably, LaPo would be promoted again to HC, if MOS left.

Hoping we can keep both!

Edited by JCon

16 minutes ago, yogi said:

If we let O'Shea walk away, probably to be head coach in Toronto or Montreal, and sign a new head coach, guess how long the new coach's contact will be?

But ya, our current head coach deserves less than a guy walking in off the street...

Rolling contract.

Start him with a one game contract and if he wins he automatically gets a one game extension.

Unless we win by less than 20.  Then he was out-coached.

...sarcasm font, sarcasm font, why can't I find the sarcasm font...

20 minutes ago, yogi said:

Make it a sociological experiment - how badly can you treat a coach you claim to want to retain and still have him stay?

Walters and O'Shea... a Canadian duo, both rookies at their positions when they started with us. Taking over after Joe Mack and Tim Burke, nobody could have had realistically high expectations for the next couple of seasons as they rebuilt our depth and our reputation. Here we are in the final year of O'Shea's first 'show us what you got' contract, and we are in sole possession of second in the league next to the freakish Stampeders, and a lock for the playoffs where anything can happen... yet there are people who don't think KW and MOS should be rewarded with a lengthy extension?!

Our team's trajectory is only going up. My expectations are for the team to show improvement year to year, build depth and bolster the overall strength of our team, and make the playoffs; Walters and O'Shea have done that, and I have no doubt they can do it again.

This isn't Swaggerville helping Buck and LaPo limp into the playoffs, it's all facets doing what they need to do to win, gadgetry and all. The fact that there are still points being left on the field in the form of FGs only speaks to how badly we can be beating teams if we continue to improve at certain positions on offense.

I'm a blue-goggled believer, I know that... but this could finally the be stable front office we've been looking for. 4/5 year deals sound great to me.

15 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Our team's trajectory is only going up.

We all want to believe that that last 10 weeks are where we will be going forward, but there are no guarantees. This could be the start of a bunch of years where we make the playoffs and compete for the Grey Cup or it could be a blip and we go back to mediocre or just plain bad.

If O'Shea and Walters had 2 good years vs 1 bad, then sure extend them for 3 years, but it's the other way around.

4 or 5 years for people who haven't proven they can even repeat making the playoffs is a bigger risk than paying a QB big bucks before they proved they could do the job consistently because we have to pay out the GM and HC contracts no matter if they do good or bad they do.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

We all want to believe that that last 10 weeks are where we will be going forward, but there are no guarantees. This could be the start of a bunch of years where we make the playoffs and compete for the Grey Cup or it could be a blip and we go back to mediocre or just plain bad.

If O'Shea and Walters had 2 good years vs 1 bad, then sure extend them for 3 years, but it's the other way around.

4 or 5 years for people who haven't proven they can even repeat making the playoffs is a bigger risk than paying a QB big bucks before they proved they could do the job consistently because we have to pay out the GM and HC contracts no matter if they do good or bad they do.

You're right, we saw it in their first season when we rattled off 5 wins and ended the season 7-11... but I think I see enough improvement to warrant the generous extensions not just on the field, but off the field as well. I'm talking about things like savvy trades, seemingly strong drafts (more often than not), attracting coveted free agents to a previously disreputable team, improving the discipline of our players (MDA notwithstanding), so on and so on. It takes a willingness to gamble on a 4/5 year extension. I like the odds, that's all.

The thing is, you can't look at it as "2 bad years, 1 good" in a vacuum. It was 2 bad years in the start of a full body off restoration. This team was in such dire straits, talent-wise, when they came in, that nobody could've done much with that. I choose to believe that it's only now that we're starting to see the fruits of their labour...Where some people want to give Walters the longer contract because they think he's done such a good job finding talent, I actually feel like MOS deserves the longer contract for what he was able to do (anything at all!) with what he started with. He's a good coach who's still learning to be great. Terrified we'll lose the both of them to Toronto or Hamilton one day...