Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

It's an interesting point, what recourse does the CFL have? The Riders have already shown they don't care and will happily pay fines to cheat, can the CFL escalate the punishment? Can they suspend Jones and make him stay away from the team on game day? Can they go further and forfeit games for them? That would get more attention than simply letting the Riders spend their way out of their issues. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's an interesting point, what recourse does the CFL have? The Riders have already shown they don't care and will happily pay fines to cheat, can the CFL escalate the punishment? Can they suspend Jones and make him stay away from the team on game day? Can they go further and forfeit games for them? That would get more attention than simply letting the Riders spend their way out of their issues. 

Draft picks likely.  I'd get rid of their roster advantages almost immediately.  No DI's.  Fewer imports on the practice roster.  Audit the hell out of them consistently even when they start following the rules.

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I agree. Suspend Jones. Levy some extremely heavy fines to the parties involved so this won't continue. Jones is probably betting this won't happen.

Just now, Noeller said:

Because you've had a hate on for him since Day 1?

Just now, Noeller said:

Because you've had a hate on for him since Day 1?

I just think he's extremely weak. Hired for his marketing skills from Basketball USA. Maybe he'll surprise me.

1 minute ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

Or maybe he has already factored in that the league has no teeth. It remains to be seen what power the Commish has and what he is able to do.

That too. What is the point of actually having a Commissioner who is supposed to be independent of the BOGs if he isn't able or can't enact the proper punishment?

Fines are meaningless for the Rider franchise right now. If it turns out they acted out of line, take away their 1st rounder next year.

And sure, go ahead and check out what every other team does too. If the Bombers are pulling crap like that I'd be on their ass too.

...but it's not like anyone, let alone a star player, has accused us of anything. And it's not like we haven't had other roster violations already this month. Something smells worse than normal in Regina right now. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Fines are meaningless for the Rider franchise right now. If it turns out they acted out of line, take away their 1st rounder next year.

And sure, go ahead and check out what every other team does too. If the Bombers are pulling crap like that I'd be on their ass too.

...but it's not like anyone, let alone a star player, has accused us of anything. And it's not like we haven't had other roster violations already this month. Something smells worse than normal in Regina right now. 

There will be no sanctions against the Riders but their paralympic team will be banned from playing.

33 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I just think he's extremely weak. Hired for his marketing skills from Basketball USA. Maybe he'll surprise me.

Did anyone (besides Rick Campbell) have any beefs with how Orridge handled the Jason Maas controversy during the offseason?  Seems like he made a sensible decision, decisively shut down Ottawa's request for compensation, and did it all in a timely fashion so the Eskies could get on with their business.

Mark Cohon, who basically turned around the league last decade, was also an NBA marketing guy, among other things.

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Not if they find other jobs for these guys

If this is what they are doing, then wouldn't they would have to enter the country with a visa for that other job?

Then how easy is it to transfer the Visa to a completely different job (when they want to roster them)?

13 minutes ago, Rich said:

If this is what they are doing, then wouldn't they would have to enter the country with a visa for that other job?

Then how easy is it to transfer the Visa to a completely different job?

http://www.canadaworkpermit.com/faq/general.html

5. Once a work permit is issued, can I change employers?

It would generally be necessary to seek a new work permit or a change of terms in order to engage in work with a different employer. A work permit is generally issued on the basis of an intention to work in a specific position and for a specific employer.

(this is from a law firm, not actual Canadian CIC.)

It'd be hilarious if the Roughriders are not only flouting CFL rules, but also breaking Canadian law arranging under-the-table jobs for these guys.  Hilarious for everyone except the players, who are breaking the law in the hopes of a pro football paycheck. Hope those guys don't get **** on too hard by CIC.

Edited by johnzo

I'm not sure why folks are so surprised. Milt said the Bombers got him a job his first year in the Peg. He thought it was just a job by name, like in college, but they came and woke him up to make sure he made it to work.

Maybe Jones is overdoing what other teams have always done. I don't know or even care if they keep extra unsigned players in town. If those players were good enough, they could get a shot on another CFL team. I'm sure it would be more money than they are getting 'off the books' in Regina.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

I'm not sure why folks are so surprised. Milt said the Bombers got him a job his first year in the Peg. He thought it was just a job by name, like in college, but they came and woke him up to make sure he made it to work.

Maybe Jones is overdoing what other teams have always done. I don't know or even care if they keep extra unsigned players in town. If those players were good enough, they could get a shot on another CFL team. I'm sure it would be more money than they are getting 'off the books' in Regina.

The issue being they apparently have a large number of guys being housed and feed by the team, working with the team and its cheating.

Not the same as getting a player on the roster a job or an endorsement.