Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

Just now, Rich said:

The payoff for doing something like this is not immediate.  If they really are bringing in mass amounts of players, they payoff for this will be next year and on going if they keep doing it.  They will have a constant supply of cheap players that have already been vetted and have had time to learn the system and can step in for injuries and players leaving in free agency.

It's like an extended training camp. Bring in guys for a few weeks and see if they fit without all the extra paperwork and roster moves.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It might be 10 players too, cuz even that would be a lot. I believe that Jones is pushing the limit and the number of players is more than other teams are 'hiding' so it's become an issue. Even the CFL admits to knowing it's happening.

Ok so the riders having 10 players here is front page news? When your team is horrible and 1-5 I'd expect them to be looking as many players as possible to try to right the ship.  Like Jones said last night in the interview. I get paid to win games and we aren't winning, I'm never going to stop trying to find talent.

9 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Ok so the riders having 10 players here is front page news? When your team is horrible and 1-5 I'd expect them to be looking as many players as possible to try to right the ship.  Like Jones said last night in the interview. I get paid to win games and we aren't winning, I'm never going to stop trying to find talent.

Who knows how many additional players they have? 10 was just a wild guess just like 95 probably was. 

15 minutes ago, Ripper said:

So you don't care about cheating?

This is a club that allegedly didn't keep the ratio in a game. Youth sports teams can keep track of minutes to make sure that each child gets their required allotted time but a professional club can't keep track of a ratio? Right.

The club that currently has 47 players on their 46 player roster? That has 11 players on their 10 man practice roster?

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Who knows how many additional players they have? 10 was just a wild guess just like 95 probably was. 

As I have said, I do not know the number. Its probably 10-12 players as a guess. When people are reporting numbers like 96, sorry friend but that is just a witch hunt and shyte disturbing.  As far as Mitchell goes, he likes the attention, he was fighting with his own fans not long ago for them leaving the game early or something like that.  Big coincidence that Mitchell just happened to mention this a few days before they played us also to throw a media circus into our practice week before the game. He is a great guy and is really looking out for the leagues well being 

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So you don't care about cheating?

This is a club that allegedly didn't keep the ratio in a game. Youth sports teams can keep track of minutes to make sure that each child gets their required allotted time but a professional club can't keep track of a ratio? Right.

The club that currently has 47 players on their 46 player roster? That has 11 players on their 10 man practice roster?

Cheating yes I care about. Pushing the rules to the absolute limit and not breaking them, I am fine with. I would hope any coaching staff of any team I cheered for to be constantly trying to be better and gain every advantage they could to win more games. If there are no limit rules on the players trying out then no rules have been broken, hence the word cheating doesn't apply.  The ratio thing is totally separate issue, we broke ratio and were fined, pretty cut and dry. Many of you are blinded by your hatred to even be objective at all about any of this.

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Cheating yes I care about. Pushing the rules to the absolute limit and not breaking them, I am fine with. I would hope any coaching staff of any team I cheered for to be constantly trying to be better and gain every advantage they could to win more games. If there are no limit rules on the players trying out then no rules have been broken, hence the word cheating doesn't apply.  The ratio thing is totally separate issue, we broke ratio and were fined, pretty cut and dry. Many of you are blinded by your hatred to even be objective at all about any of this.

But there are limits. It's right in the by-laws.

SECTION 8 - ELIGIBILITY OF PLAYERS

13. A Member Club shall not permit a player to participate, directly or indirectly, in any of its practice sessions unless:
(a) On the Member Club’s current roster; or
(b) On the Member Club’s Injured Players List; or
(c) Entitled to participate under the provisions of Section 5 of these By-Laws; or
(d) On a Member Club’s Non-Active List as described in paragraph 12 of this Section 8.

Without restricting the meaning of “a practice session” a player shall be deemed to be participating therein if:
(i) In attendance at a Club lecture, film session, or chalk talk; or
(ii) Physically present at the same time and place as the other team members for a conditioning exercise; or
(iii) Subject to the direction of the coaching staff in any manner whatsoever, except to the extent necessary for the supervision of treatment of an injury sustained while previously a member of the Club roster.

14. A Member Club permitting a player to attend a practice session other than a player described in paragraph 13 hereof shall be liable for a fine of not less than Five Hundred Dollars ($500) or, at the discretion of the Commissioner, up to One Thousand Dollars ($1000) for each such practice session attended by such player. In order to ensure compliance with Member Club roster limits, an Officiating representative may be utilized by the Commissioner in a monitoring capacity. Member Club Officials shall respect the mandate of the Officiating representative by providing access to Member Club practices, and where applicable, participate in reasonable discourse with the Officiating representative.

The sad part is the CFL probably doesn't have the means to do anything meaningful about this. They'll just hand down a paltry fine and the Riders will say "Hey we paid the price" and carry on being the **** heads they are. 

Meanwhile changes will come and no one will have any leeway in the future. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of the league assholes. AND YOU'RE STILL A TERRIBLE TEAM! That's the most embarrassing part of all this. 

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

They're going to get hammered. You just watch.

I sincerely hope that you are right. I want to see the league come down hard on this just to set an example. Jones has taken the arrogance to a whole new level and he needs to be slapped back to reality. 

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

They're going to get hammered. You just watch.

I really hope you're right... if this is all true... I would say anything less multiple first round picks, coach/management (specifically just Jones/Murphy) suspensions, and hefty financial fines would be unacceptable...

Kind of a small detail but it seems like people are confused about the 96 number.  That is 96 players total, including the legitimate players.

46 on roster, 20 on injured lists, 10 on PR = 76 players.  So what they are reporting is 20 players being kept around illegitimately, not 96.  Still a huge number but far more believable than 96.

I would fine them 10,000 for every player kept illegitimately, plus take away their first round pick next year, and make Chris Jones sit in the dunk tank during the Banjo Bowl pre-game.

Just now, Ripper said:

Let me get this straight Mike. Suspend jones for having 20 players in town?  Good luck with that.

I'm not suspending him because he's the coach. I'm suspending him because he's the GM, which means he's responsible for player personnel, which means ultimately he's responsible for ILLEGALLY PAYING player personnel.

I don't think Rider fans have fully grasped the severity of these allegations yet. Could be denial. Not really sure. But this could be bad.