Offensive Analysis?

Mark H.

"But if this was entirely a personnel issue, Mike O’Shea would’ve never fired Bellefeuille in the first place. Although I believe any accusations against a lack of “creativity” from Bellefeuille would be false, an argument could be made regarding predictability, game-planning and in-game management. In this case, Bellefeuille was perhaps less adequate as an actual play-caller than play-designer."

IMO, the above quote is the biggest part of Bellefeuille's failure:  Predictability, thin playbook, lack of in-game adjustments during Q1/Q2, and horrible at reacting to the other teams half time adjustments in the 2nd half.

PS our down field blocking has never been the same after we released Adarius Bowman.  It was amazing how many catch-and-run big plays we had when he was here, and how many of those plays he blocked his defender right into their own end zone.

7 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Mark, I agree on the OL comment. Was just musing that maybe those things help compensate a little. Hopefully we find a good RT and figure out the RG spot.

It's a fair comment. It's probably worth noting that Chuck Roberts was not known for catching the ball out of the backfield. IMO Jones' best release valve was #85 

On 2016-04-09 at 2:31 PM, Mark H. said:

It's not that simple.  Montreal brought in Trestman as HC in 2008. He recognized Calvillo's ability as a quick release pocket passer and developed a max protect system where Calvillo would thrive.  Willy does not have the quick release or accuracy that would allow Lapolice to implement a similar system.  

Unless Chungh continues to improve, Neufeld moves to 6th OL, Goossen steps up and they find an American RT in camp, I wouldn't expect much better results.  I don't agree with everything the author wrote, but I do agree that a QB like Willy needs an OL that can dominate in pass protection.

He's completed 65% of his passes as a Bomber. How accurate do you need to be?

Blocking has been a problem sure. But you cant look past up the middle dives from shot gun in the red zone and so many awful 2nd down plays designed to get less then first down yardage.  MBs offence was awful. If the line doesnt keep willy healthy every one will be looking for a new job. But if plops offence is run as poorly as MBs itll be the same result.

I try to block all memory of our offenses for the last many years out of mind...

With MB what exactly was poor with his play calling?    

Was it to much repetitive plays?   Plays that took way to long to develop?  Wrong players   (i.e. Walker as a featured back trying to block)  etc.. ?

2nd and short and running up the gut out of the shotgun seemed to be his go to play on 2nd down. Pretty predictable play calling, not much creativity at all when looking at teams like Ottawa for example who had guys running all over the place prior to the snap, Using guys to their weakness and not to their strengths like throwing short to Denmark and him needing to make 2 or 3 guys miss instead of using him deep. Just all sorts of crap play calling with MB in charge. Glad he's gone and of all the off-season moves the team has made, i think getting rid of MB and signing Medlock are the 2 biggest ones. Dressler,Smith, etc are nice signings but replacing the OC and getting a very reliable kicker are 2 pretty important moves also. 

Edited by Goalie

8 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

He's completed 65% of his passes as a Bomber. How accurate do you need to be?

It's not percentage in this case, it's the ability to complete passes when he has to hit a very small window. Max protect allows the defense to use more players in coverage.  Thus the QB will be throwing into tight coverage more often. 

11 hours ago, Mike said:

Scheme aside, shall we get into his playcalling?

Horrible.

No progression in his play calls, or adaptation to what a defense was giving showing or doing either. Did we ever score a td on those in side the 10 shot gun dives up the gut?

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 11:23 AM, ALuCsRED said:

"But if this was entirely a personnel issue, Mike O’Shea would’ve never fired Bellefeuille in the first place. Although I believe any accusations against a lack of “creativity” from Bellefeuille would be false, an argument could be made regarding predictability, game-planning and in-game management. In this case, Bellefeuille was perhaps less adequate as an actual play-caller than play-designer."

IMO, the above quote is the biggest part of Bellefeuille's failure:  Predictability, thin playbook, lack of in-game adjustments during Q1/Q2, and horrible at reacting to the other teams half time adjustments in the 2nd half.

PS our down field blocking has never been the same after we released Adarius Bowman.  It was amazing how many catch-and-run big plays we had when he was here, and how many of those plays he blocked his defender right into their own end zone.

I would say our downfield blocking wasn't as good after Matthews and Watson...

On 4/11/2016 at 11:29 AM, Brandon said:

I just hope LaPo doesn't fall in love with the 2nd and long screen pass again....

And I'm hoping I'm misinterpreting a quote I read from him today:

“I’m finally able to sit in a room for four hours and say ‘here are my ideas. Help me figure it out.’ That’s been neat for me,” he says.

To me one of his significant downfalls as a coach is his stubbornness to move away from something, i.e., his ideas that he, and he alone, thinks is pure genius, that clearly in some cases aren't working regardless of the tweaks made to them. His statement above suggests to me he still takes the 'plan and push his ideas' approach onto his support staff/athletes rather that create and engage with them. Yes someone has to be in charge but he always needs to be receptive to ideas that may run counter to his own. I'm not sure he's wired that way. Time will tell if he's learned from his last go around with us.   

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

And I'm hoping I'm misinterpreting a quote I read from him today:

“I’m finally able to sit in a room for four hours and say ‘here are my ideas. Help me figure it out.’ That’s been neat for me,” he says.

To me one of his significant downfalls as a coach is his stubbornness to move away from something, i.e., his ideas that he, and he alone, thinks is pure genius, that clearly in some cases aren't working regardless of the tweaks made to them. His statement above suggests to me he still takes the 'plan and push his ideas' approach onto his support staff/athletes rather that create and engage with them. Yes someone has to be in charge but he always needs to be receptive to ideas that may run counter to his own. I'm not sure he's wired that way. Time will tell if he's learned from his last go around with us.   

That sounds like the opposite of what you're suggesting.

Unless you were hoping we'd get an offensive coordinator that has no ideas at all.

2 minutes ago, mbrg said:

That sounds like the opposite of what you're suggesting.

Unless you were hoping we'd get an offensive coordinator that has no ideas at all.

thats kinda what I got from it too.. "heres what I want to do.. Help me plan this out so we can make it work.."  not "heres what I want to do.. DO IT! DO IT NOW!"

It depends on what his ideas are. I'm hoping he doesn't suffer from paralysis by analysis.

Maybe I'm wrong but to me it's rather simple. You look at your players, recognize their strengths, design a handful of plays that take advantage of those strengths, and then practice those plays a thousand times until you master them. You then ram that down the opponents throat until they find a way to stop you. Hopefully they never will. If they do, you go to plan B, but plan A has to be damned good. 

Regarding Sukh Chung. This is the last year of his contract. Will he be back next season? It's so hard to build an OL with so many Canadians. The good ones seem to try the NFL or want to go back where they grew up or played CIS football. Seems our OL takes one step forward in improvement & two steps back when things go wrong.