Wiecek Article: Pressure Mounts On And Off Field For MOS

Noeller

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

One thing to consider, compared to most HC's O'Shea has been a coach for a relatively short time period since retiring as a player in 2009.  Most coaches are failed players who would have joined the coaching profession at the bottom rung in their early 20's after their playing careers were terminated by lack of skill or injury. 

O'shea is 45 and he got his first job in coaching when he was 39 after a lengthy 16 year professional career.  There are exceptions to be sure but for the most part head coaches have 15-20 years of apprentice coaching in their pocket before they get a shot at the big job.  O'Shea is a very inexperienced coach no matter how you look at it.

Failed players? No disrespect intended as a person but what you said is a questionable comment. All kinds of coaches with varied playing background coach. Not just failed players. Define the term, failed player? Just to balance things out, I agree with your assertion that MOS was too inexperienced when he was hired as our HC.

Edited by iso_55

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

Failed players? No disrespect intended but what you said is a stupid comment. All kinds of coaches with varied playing background coach. Not just failed players. Define the term, failed player?

Players who's careers were terminated by lack of skill or injury.  A lot of coaches did not play professional football but at one time that was their goal.  What word would you like to use other than failure?  Successless???

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Players who's careers were terminated by lack of skill or injury.  A lot of coaches did not play professional football but at one time that was their goal.  What word would you like to use other than failure?  Successless???

Don't say it at all as it isn't true. I never thought a knee injury means you're a failure. A coach who played in the NCAA & not the NFL is a failure? I'd still call that a success.  If an employee doesn't become President or CEO of the company he/she works for but only middle management, it means their careers are failures?

Edited by iso_55

On the way he dresses: The reason he won't change is the issue... I wouldn't care if all he wore was a 'Budgie Smuggler' (Speedo) if he delivered wins.

On holding players accountable: I'm not in the dressing room or the meetings and I don't have a bug in O'Shea's office so I can't tell if he yells at them or shames them or anything else that folks might consider 'holding players accountable behind closed doors'. All I have to go on is there haven't been any consequences to bad play, just a bunch of public excuses. By consequences, I mean losing playing time or airlifting in players to compete for the spot or having the backup start or letting a young guy take a game to see if he can produce or demoting the player to a DI or off the game day roster or offered a PI spot instead of full salary or getting rid of them during the season. 

On not winning back to back games for a year and a half: I'll stop bringing it up when he starts winning back to back games.

On best HC since Richie: Based on what?

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I like O'Shea the guy.  I really hope this year works out and when I look at the roster I don't see any reason why this team can't be competitive.  So hopefully O'Shea and Lapo can make it work.  But I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

I'm with you on this, except I always get my hopes up too high. Wouldn't have it any other way.

12 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I'm with you on this, except I always get my hopes up too high. Wouldn't have it any other way.

What's the use of holding back? You go into each season with renewed hope and high expectations and expect no less than a winning year. I'm not afraid of setbacks. I can face adversity. This is sports, this is excitement, a high-entertaining game blistered with disappointments. Winning is the ultimate reward, and it's great to be part of it. Soon, we will be part of it again. And I'll be wearing shorts when we do.

Boy, there was a guy named Lancaster that I think won only a couple of games in his first two years with an underperforming Riders squad then went on to win cups with a couple of other teams that had a little more talent as well as being a very well respected color commentator in between. You guys are pretty tough on Mr Oshea. Although it's true he has not always made the greatest decisions on the field, he's rapidly improving and I have no trouble backing him. He says and does the right things for the long term health of this club. I believe in MOS and his coaching and really think as long as there are no great injury situations this will be a turn around year and we should be challenging for top spot all year.

If you have time to write the Bombers and complain what the coach is wearing on the sidelines, you have too much time on your hands.

I like O'Shea, though my concerns about his coaching ability continue to mount. Hopefully he puts it together this year. This is the best coaching staff and roster (at least from a pre-training camp view) we have assembled in his tenure. If he doesn't show improvement, the debate will be settled.

Also he needs to get a real phone.

If he can post a 10-8+ record this year i can forgive/forget the last 2 years. and get behind him as a coach for years to come.  It still kind of bothers me that he's completely removed from one aspect of the game (Offense) but cup half fulling it,  then i can say at least he didnt have much or anything to do with the crappy play calling last couple years

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

While I understand that winning is the be all and end all, I don't think you can say "He's a good coach" or "He's a bad coach" simply based on W/L. There's more that determines coaching ability. 

What? 

37 minutes ago, Noeller said:

While I understand that winning is the be all and end all, I don't think you can say "He's a good coach" or "He's a bad coach" simply based on W/L. There's more that determines coaching ability. 

Of course you can say he's a bad coach when he loses twice as many games as he wins. What other criteria would you use for a bad coach?

Does the fact that a team has a losing record automatically mean that the coach is a bad coach? Or can there be other factors? I think that when you have a losing record, it's easier to find fault in the team as a whole, including coaching, but it's not necessarily a bad coach coaching the team. It may just be a bad team.