Free Agency 2016...

Mr Dee

10 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

But don't be alarmed.  It's a different situation we are told. They are rebuilding from being torn apart and these are all necessary "depth" signings. As opposed to us who are just complete garbage and can't build a team any other way.

Justin Capiciotti to the Riders. A REAL commitment to recruitment over there...lol.

12 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I like the Riders signings way better than ours. Greg Jones is a great player. Lawrence and Capiccotti are great gets as well. They went young with upside, we went old and hopefully still gas in the tank. 

Not sure the ages of any of their signings but the Bomber signing ages were 24, 25, 26, 28,30, 30, 32 and 33.  The 33yr old is Medlock which isn't that old for a kicker (See every good kicker in football history). It's not like the Bombers signed all 33+ yr olds.

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Cotton will probably have to compete at camp with the other american RB's. I don't think he's a lock to make this team. 

Maybe Carlos Anderson gets another shot. If we're going to have a backup American running back he's going to have to be versatile.

If you check out the roster on the bb.com site. 

It lists 2 american RB's right now... Cotton and Catalon. Cotton is 26 and coming off an injury, Catalon is 21. I'm not sure how much Cotton is being paid but you can bet that Catalon is on the rookie contract, league minimum. That probably plays a role. 

Actually, looking at the roster, I see a bunch of guys who could be let go.

In no particular order... here are the guys who i think won't be around much longer

Cotton. B Turner. Peach. Veltung. Bucknor or Hurl (not sure which one). Hurl, for how much he's being paid, and the depth at the linebacker position, i could see him going. I'm torn on Zach Anderson, I think he should be kept around as i think rotating him and Cummings would be a nice thing but... again, comes down to cash. I'm also not sold on Darvin Adams. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Maybe Carlos Anderson gets another shot. If we're going to have a backup American running back he's going to have to be versatile.

Yup. Right now tho, It's just Cotton and Catalon listed on the roster. Anderson is another option too. I don't see Cotton sticking around. 

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

If you check out the roster on the bb.com site. 

It lists 2 american RB's right now... Cotton and Catalon. Cotton is 26 and coming off an injury, Catalon is 21. I'm not sure how much Cotton is being paid but you can bet that Catalon is on the rookie contract, league minimum. That probably plays a role. 

Actually, looking at the roster, I see a bunch of guys who could be let go.

In no particular order... here are the guys who i think won't be around much longer

Cotton. B Turner. Peach. Veltung. Bucknor or Hurl (not sure which one). Hurl, for how much he's being paid, and the depth at the linebacker position, i could see him going. 

I'm pretty sure both Hurl and Bucknor are safe unless a big opportunity comes along down the road. (Bilikudi etc). Turner, Peach, and Anderson have all been replaced and are pretty much a sure thing for release. Veltung will have to prove his worth against the new recruits but he is not an automatic SMS casualtiy as he is on his rookie contract.

49 minutes ago, Brandon said:

In the end do the Riders have more talent now then what they had at the end of last season?

IMO that answer is no.   

We just got Capiccioti, Lawrence, Chambers, Jones, Foster, as well as several other decent signings and you think we haven't gotten better? Ok.

Not trying to brag, but it isn't true.

Edited by AtlanticRiderFan

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

I dunno. I'm not sure there is a real need for Hurl anymore or Bucknor for that matter. 

You don't throw guys like that away. They are not making big money and are excellent teamers and NAT depth. I don't think we are that SMS challenged we need to start carving up our NAT roster. I would rather dump Denmark than either of these guys.

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

I like the Riders signings way better than ours. Greg Jones is a great player. Lawrence and Capiccotti are great gets as well. They went young with upside, we went old and hopefully still gas in the tank. 

While I respect the way the players they signed, you're undervaluing the 'fills' of our roster signings. Capiccotti to our Cummings. Lawrence to our Harris. Greg Jones at LB, where we had no need.

BUT

On defence, our biggest area of concern, from play one to the last play, was our D-Line, and it wasn't even close. Giving up the run...no proper rush to help the DBs. It was as close to pitiful as you could get. And now we have a legit, no, beyond legit, D-line. What value can you place on that?

Depth in Canadian signings still has lots of value and we did well there.

AND

There's huge upside in how well our Offence will do with the new additions.

Edited by Mr Dee

3 minutes ago, AtlanticRiderFan said:

We just got Capiccioti, Lawrence, Chambers, Jones, Foster, as well as several other decent signings and you think we haven't gotten better? Ok.

You guys are improved over yesterday for sure. However, you have a long way to go and a ton of holes that need filling.

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Yup. Right now tho, It's just Cotton and Catalon listed on the roster. Anderson is another option too. I don't see Cotton sticking around. 

Is "Thunder and Lightening" officially dead?  They still need an import RB on game day to spell Harris much like they did in BC with Sutton. 

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

11 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

I'm pretty sure both Hurl and Bucknor are safe unless a big opportunity comes along down the road. (Bilikudi etc). Turner, Peach, and Anderson have all been replaced and are pretty much a sure thing for release. Veltung will have to prove his worth against the new recruits but he is not an automatic SMS casualtiy as he is on his rookie contract.

Who do we have to replace Peach just yet?

11 minutes ago, AtlanticRiderFan said:

And if there's one thing ALL of Canada knows, it's that Rider fans are beacons of truth.

Hell, just read thru Rider fans replies to the Bombers twitter yesterday. Real salt of the earth folks.