Bombers Under Investigation for 50-50 Fiasco

Great post Dascow.  Thats very true about them not immediately informing the public of their error.  Its entirely possible that the winner, who had checked his ticket against the website and with the Bombers directly, would have assumed he was not the winner and never checked the website again..and thus would never have seen the number change.

Seems pretty clear the Bombers caught their mistake but hoped no one would notice.  And is it true the only reason we know this happened is because local media asked the winner what took him so long?  The Bombers only commented after the fact and after lotteries announced they were looking into it.  Perhaps they should have thrown in some lifetime season tickets to keep Mr Richot quiet...

Thats also a great point about the former unclaimed prize.  Imagine if it came out the same mistake was made...

The former prize wasn't unclaimed .. if I remember correctly, the original winner wasn't eligible to participate in the draw .. therefore the pot was carried over.

///Doesn't bode well for future 50/50's ...However mistakes don't just occur in  that type of draw....Look at some of the fiascos in the Lotto Max and 6/49 draws that have occurred over the years...You buy a ticket you takes your chances...Buyers expect things to be run flawlessly though...ain't gonna happen.

It's obviously an honest mistake and the fact that so many people are losing their minds is absurd. Let's all move on now.

I don’t think it’s that obvious Noeller.

1. This kind of thing should never ever happen. Ever.

2. The Bombers have been part of a 50/50 scandal in the past. I think someone went to jail for it.

3. Earlier this year there was another 50/50 draw that was not claimed. The winnings went to the next games 50/50 and because of the pot being so much bigger, 50/50 sales were way up. In light of recent events, that 50/50 draw has to be in question now too.

4. After Mr.Ritchot checks the web site and phones in to verify and is told his is not the correct number, the Bombers realize their mistake and change it on the web site, but they fail to inform anyone of their mistake. They knew someone phoned in with the correct numbers and still failed to inform anyone when they realized their mistake? Making the mistake in the first place is incompetent, but not informing anyone that a mistake was made is corrupt.

5. The Bombers front office has a well earned image problem.  This kind thing exacerbates that negative image.

In my opinion this is a very serious incident and it needs to be dealt with in a serious manner. The Bombers have been so bad for so long when it comes to their front office that I can no longer make excuses for them or give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think the Bombers have denied this happened. If true, it's really bad.

I just wish the franchise would stop embarrassing itself. I'm really tired of it. My first reaction to this story was, "that sounds about right".

Lotteries are not the core business of the Bombers. They are trying to do good with the 50-50 being a charity. Good on them. It does seem that for all the good they are trying to achieve they have only hurt themselves.

There are lessons in business of poor optics being turned into renewed integrity. Part of fixing this situation they need to get in front of this story, and appear humble and proactive to fix the draw in the future. They don't have to reinvent the wheel, but certainly could use a lesson or two from other down grading incidents,

http://www.businessinsider.com/pr-disasters-crisis-management-2011-5?op=1

Lotteries are not the core business of the Bombers. They are trying to do good with the 50-50 being a charity. Good on them. It does seem that for all the good they are trying to achieve they have only hurt themselves.

There are lessons in business of poor optics being turned into renewed integrity. Part of fixing this situation they need to get in front of this story, and appear humble and proactive to fix the draw in the future. They don't have to reinvent the wheel, but certainly could use a lesson or two from other down grading incidents,

http://www.businessinsider.com/pr-disasters-crisis-management-2011-5?op=1

Yes, if I was them I would have taken responsibility and made it seem as though they were inviting Lotteries to come in and help them restore integrity to the process.  It might not be true but it seems they hoped no one would find out what happened...

It's obviously an honest mistake and the fact that so many people are losing their minds is absurd. Let's all move on now.

3. Earlier this year there was another 50/50 draw that was not claimed. The winnings went to the next games 50/50 and because of the pot being so much bigger, 50/50 sales were way up. In light of recent events, that 50/50 draw has to be in question now too.

It was claimed. But the person was ineligible. Completely different scenarios. 

Perception is playing a key role in how people are choosing to react to this story.  Yes it's unfortunate that this mistake happened, and yes, there will be actions that will take place in order to prevent this from happening again.  Sometimes an error has to happen before a flaw in the process can be spotted.  It's sucks but it's reality.  Thankfully, in this situation, it all worked out.

People will consider what they have read or heard and form their opinion of what happened in between any gaps in the story.  For those that believe that the club is "corrupt" because they were purposely keeping things a secret should consider what the club's track record on information disclosure with relation to the 50/50 has been in the past.  They've always been fully transparent, wouldn't you agree?

Perception is playing a key role in how people are choosing to react to this story.  Yes it's unfortunate that this mistake happened, and yes, there will be actions that will take place in order to prevent this from happening again.  Sometimes an error has to happen before a flaw in the process can be spotted.  It's sucks but it's reality.  Thankfully, in this situation, it all worked out.

People will consider what they have read or heard and form their opinion of what happened in between any gaps in the story.  For those that believe that the club is "corrupt" because they were purposely keeping things a secret should consider what the club's track record on information disclosure with relation to the 50/50 has been in the past.  They've always been fully transparent, wouldn't you agree?

Depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is ;)

For those that believe that the club is "corrupt" because they were purposely keeping things a secret should consider what the club's track record on information disclosure with relation to the 50/50 has been in the past.  They've always been fully transparent, wouldn't you agree?

The cynic in me will wonder if they have only been transparent when an issue was brought to the media's attention, but I'm not that guy........

Man, I wish the bombers were doing these screw ups on purpose. At least they'd be sly and coniving. .....instead of inept and idiotic.

We truly have become the joke of the CFL. And there is not reason to be excited for next year

Whaaaaaahhhh! :(

Soooo......we're NOT a joke?

I guess getting a 'participant' trophy is good enough for you, because the team tried their best? Or maybe you can comment on the awesome handling of the new stadium was , or maybe how we have one winning season since 2008?

The reality is that unlike a lot of cities the Winnipeg sports teams are under a microscope constantly by the media.

There is this fascination with this for sure with the Bombers based on our field production, ticket sales, stadium issues, parking, or just hatred in general.  

Any other franchise with a million problems to sort out would get the same scrutiny.

Man, I wish the bombers were doing these screw ups on purpose. At least they'd be sly and coniving. .....instead of inept and idiotic.

We truly have become the joke of the CFL. And there is not reason to be excited for next year

Whaaaaaahhhh! :(

Soooo......we're NOT a joke?

I guess getting a 'participant' trophy is good enough for you, because the team tried their best? Or maybe you can comment on the awesome handling of the new stadium was , or maybe how we have one winning season since 2008?

Oh brother... I stand by my original statement.  Take your ball and go home.

It was claimed. But the person was ineligible. Completely different scenarios. 

Any idea of what made the person ineligible?  Worked for Team, relative of someone who did, age, etc?

The thing that makes this seem even worse to me is it was the Grey Cup 50-50 draw, if you're gonna mess up, mess up on a national stage LOL.

What if the winner would been from out of town, then we have some national press  :P

Could have been from out of the Country. Even Muslim. The mistake could have reduced funding for ISIS.

Bet no one thought of that B)