Bombers Under Investigation for 50-50 Fiasco

**** the winning number was announced at the game but the wrong number was displayed on their website. The winner actually threw his ticket away before retrieving it from the trash as a keepsake. He then looked again when the Bonbers announced there had been no claim yet.

Winner was at the game was he not? Should have hit the office at the time

Lotteries are not the core business of the Bombers.

They def should be buying lottery tickets considering their debt.

Many many people do not immediately cash in their winning ticket.

If a a bombers employee screwed up the responsibility still lays with the organization. What would the Bombers have done if the winner had discarded his ticket?

Spent the extra money designing super hero themed Bomber T-Shirts?

If a a bombers employee screwed up the responsibility still lays with the organization. What would the Bombers have done if the winner had discarded his ticket?

Exactly. The Bomber organization is responsible for the actions of its employees. Even if the employees act in good faith but still make a mistake, the Bombers arevicariously responsible for the error.

I'm sure lots but if i'm at the stadium and I won $150k at the 50/50 , i'm heading to the office to get my cheque right then and there. F the game.

But what you would do and what many others would do is the same.  And realistically, he's not obligated to do so.  Sure, I guess its his fault he didnt assume the Bombers would somehow **** this whole thing up.  But perhaps he was inebriated and thought the Bombers would be able to handle a 50-50 draw.

I'm sure lots but if i'm at the stadium and I won $150k at the 50/50 , i'm heading to the office to get my cheque right then and there. F the game.

But what you would do and what many others would do is the same.  And realistically, he's not obligated to do so.  Sure, I guess its his fault he didnt assume the Bombers would somehow **** this whole thing up.  But perhaps he was inebriated and thought the Bombers would be able to handle a 50-50 draw.

When it comes to the Bombers, NEVER ASSUME ;)

Did it get mentioned anywhere in here that the 50/50 tickets were not sold exclusively at the game itself? ...Tickets for the game's 50/50 were also sold at the TD MB social on Friday. We thought it was a specific 50/50 just for the social, but it was tickets for the game's 50/50. Just kind of a "pre-sale" on 50/50s. So there were, potentially, a lot of people who had 50/50 tickets that weren't actually at the game itself. So you wouldn't have known the # till sometime after the game...because if you weren't there, it's not like they show the 50/50 drawing on TV, right? So you won't know till they post it online or wherever...

• 3 months later...

So, it was all just a mistake..like many on here have said. Not a cover up, no shenanigans, just human error.

The Manitoba Gaming Control Commission has concluded the Winnipeg Blue Bombers didn't intend to deceive customers during a mix-up about which ticket won $178,748 in a 50/50 draw at the Grey Cup.

"What we found was it was simply human error," said Liz Stephenson, chief administration officer for the commission.

At the game, the Bombers posted the correct winning number on the Jumbotron.  But on the Bombers site online,  a mistake was made and two numbers were switched so it appeared a different ticket had won. Days later, the online error was caught, the number was corrected on the website and the winner came forward with his ticket and claimed his prize.

The investigation into the Bombers' goof wrapped up last week, after investigators were finally able to speak directly to the host for the Bombers' online site and confirm it really was a typographical error that mistakenly transposed two numbers.

"We wanted to check the details with one of the people who runs the website, just to find out when the changes were made. The person responsible actually went to New Zealand... That totally delayed things," Stephenson said.  "Two numbers were switched, it was pretty straightforward."

This probably means it's always a good idea to get the facts before making reckless allegations..

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/winning-ticket-number-mix-up-on-bomber-website-human-error-commission-372966011.html

25 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

So, it was all just a mistake..like many on here have said. Not a cover up, no shenanigans, just human error.

The Manitoba Gaming Control Commission has concluded the Winnipeg Blue Bombers didn't intend to deceive customers during a mix-up about which ticket won $178,748 in a 50/50 draw at the Grey Cup.

"What we found was it was simply human error," said Liz Stephenson, chief administration officer for the commission.

At the game, the Bombers posted the correct winning number on the Jumbotron.  But on the Bombers site online,  a mistake was made and two numbers were switched so it appeared a different ticket had won. Days later, the online error was caught, the number was corrected on the website and the winner came forward with his ticket and claimed his prize.

The investigation into the Bombers' goof wrapped up last week, after investigators were finally able to speak directly to the host for the Bombers' online site and confirm it really was a typographical error that mistakenly transposed two numbers.

"We wanted to check the details with one of the people who runs the website, just to find out when the changes were made. The person responsible actually went to New Zealand... That totally delayed things," Stephenson said.  "Two numbers were switched, it was pretty straightforward."

This probably means it's always a good idea to get the facts before making reckless allegations..

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/winning-ticket-number-mix-up-on-bomber-website-human-error-commission-372966011.html

Without reckless allegations the internet would just be a bunch of pictures of cats, dogs and naked ladies.

Anyone that thought it was anything but a simple mistake is a fool. As far as I am concerned people here and the press made a big stink about nothing. Personally I think the person holding the winning ticket held part of the blame too because he knew he had the winning ticket at the game and didn't really press that point when first calling in. The transcription error made on the website was simply bad quality control by the team but that is not uncommon even for very public forums such as newspapers and books. The Winnipeg Free Press and especially the Sun make all sorts of error every day including  spelling and fact errors.

Edited by Dragon37

If I recall, I dont think the issue was so much that the Bombers had malicious intent.  Ofcourse it was an error, but one for which the Bombers were responsible.  Had the winner discarded his ticket, it would have been really unfortunate.  Also, I believe the secondary issue was the Bombers noticed the error, corrected it but didnt tell anyone there had been an error.  That to me was the bigger issue facing the Bombers.  Because the eventual winner had retrieved his ticket from the trash as a keepsake and heard the Bombers hadnt found a winner yet and re-checked his ticket...which is good.  But a more responsible action would have seen the Bombers publicly say "hey we goofed, so make sure you all re-check your tickets".

And if there was anything untoward it was the possibility that the Bombers realised the winner might have thrown his ticket away and there would be "no winner", thus they didnt want to draw attention to their mistake.  These are assumptions but fairly logical.

All in all, it turned out fine so no harm, no foul.  And Im sure the Bombers will be more careful in the future.  In fact, posting a photo of the winning numbers rather than typing them in would solve the problem.