LaPolice new Bombers OC

Mr. Perfect

Mr. Perfect is bang on. Lapolice was given far too much credit for a Worman offense after we fired him because we had a petulant running back at the time. Evidence of his success was in fact in his offense's failure to either maintain or improve on the previous year's results. Just listening to him now on CJOB and he now says he has learned from watching and analyzing on TV etc. While I am not a fan, but do agree that he should have learned something in the past 3 years, we will see if he has learned and if he has can he put it to use on the field. Can he communicate to his players, can he develop an offense that uses the strengths and minimizes the weaknesses of its parts, can he garner the confidence of those in the system, can he adjust as required and in the end can he be successful. You can't put a square peg in a round hole so let's see what happens.

In 02 he had a gun slinger at qb and Stegall and Bruce in the slot, that put teams in a bind defensively and all Khari had to do was pick one of them to heave it up to. 

So sign a slotback to replace Moore...  WIlly is a gunslinger and Denmark is our other SB.

We have a Roberts/Sellers type duo in Cotton/Marshall...

And don't forget that one of Jones' targets was Jamie Stoddard...  we are way ahead of the curve there, probably four stoddards on the roster already!

So wait you compared can't stay healthy and proven nothing Cotton to one of the all time best Bomber (and arguably CFL) running backs and compared any of the receivers on the roster to the greatest receiver in league history... never mind that Bruce himself was better than most of the receivers playing in the CFL right now. That's not even getting into how good Mike Sellers was. I know 2002 was a long time ago, but that offense was ******* stacked. 

I'm not saying we have the same level of talent... but the makeup of the offence is similar.

As I recall, the 2002 offence was pretty much those four guys and that's it... 2003 Bobby Gordon replaced Bruce (?).

I'm getting tired of this idea that Pierce was a terrible qb. He was a ******* good qb who couldn't stay healthy.

I loved Pierce's style of quarterbacking and he was very effective at what he did, BUT, let's not pretend Pierce was anywhere close to being the same kind of QB he was before he became a Bomber.

When you take away his "Mike Reilly-do anything-to-get-a-1st-down" kind of QBing, you take away a lot of what made Pierce effective. This is what we were left with when Pierce played for us.

He was only a shadow of the player he once was.

And it didn't help that everybody knew it, and we couldn't protect him worth a damn.

Pierce was mediocre here, even in the Grey Cup year. Not nearly as terrible as some of the other guys, but nearly good enough amongst CFL starters.

I'm getting tired of this idea that Pierce was a terrible qb. He was a ******* good qb who couldn't stay healthy.

I loved Pierce's style of quarterbacking and he was very effective at what he did, BUT, let's not pretend Pierce was anywhere close to being the same kind of QB he was before he became a Bomber.

When you take away his "Mike Reilly-do anything-to-get-a-1st-down" kind of QBing, you take away a lot of what made Pierce effective. This is what we were left with when Pierce played for us.

He was only a shadow of the player he once was.

And it didn't help that everybody knew it, and we couldn't protect him worth a damn.

When Pierce first got here he was the same guy he always was. I would agree that by the end he was too broken, but by the end Lapo was long gone. 

Mr. Perfect is bang on. Lapolice was given far too much credit for a Worman offense after we fired him because we had a petulant running back at the time. Evidence of his success was in fact in his offense's failure to either maintain or improve on the previous year's results. Just listening to him now on CJOB and he now says he has learned from watching and analyzing on TV etc. While I am not a fan, but do agree that he should have learned something in the past 3 years, we will see if he has learned and if he has can he put it to use on the field. Can he communicate to his players, can he develop an offense that uses the strengths and minimizes the weaknesses of its parts, can he garner the confidence of those in the system, can he adjust as required and in the end can he be successful. You can't put a square peg in a round hole so let's see what happens.

In 02 he had a gun slinger at qb and Stegall and Bruce in the slot, that put teams in a bind defensively and all Khari had to do was pick one of them to heave it up to. 

So sign a slotback to replace Moore...  WIlly is a gunslinger and Denmark is our other SB.

We have a Roberts/Sellers type duo in Cotton/Marshall...

And don't forget that one of Jones' targets was Jamie Stoddard...  we are way ahead of the curve there, probably four stoddards on the roster already!

So wait you compared can't stay healthy and proven nothing Cotton to one of the all time best Bomber (and arguably CFL) running backs and compared any of the receivers on the roster to the greatest receiver in league history... never mind that Bruce himself was better than most of the receivers playing in the CFL right now. That's not even getting into how good Mike Sellers was. I know 2002 was a long time ago, but that offense was ******* stacked. 

I'm not saying we have the same level of talent... but the makeup of the offence is similar.

As I recall, the 2002 offence was pretty much those four guys and that's it... 2003 Bobby Gordon replaced Bruce (?).

but if the talent is miles worse it doesn't really matter if the make up is similar. Roberts and Stegall and Bruce and Sellers could make something out of nothing. Can anyone on the current roster make something out of nothing? That right there takes away a pile of effectiveness. 

Okay, so wait...

LaPo is a bum because he had Dave Ritchie, Khari Jones, Milt, Chuck, Arland Bruce and Sellers

but Pierce is a damn good QB because he had Buono, Simon, Clermont, Joe Smith, Paris Jackson

Anybody who had to follow that 14 - 4 season would look like a bum in comparison. Injuries caught up to that Bomber team in 02, 03 but nobody mentions that either, just like Pierce being broken here in 12 and beyond.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Lapo can do with a healthy roster, for as long as it lasts that is.

My problem with Lapo is that he's been around so long the chances of him becoming something new are slim to none and we already know he's a horribly passive coach. I want someone who can attack and take some chances trying to win a game, that's not really Lapo. I'd rather gamble on an up and commer because with Lapolice we are liking looking at another situation where if we get mediocre offense we're happy. 

He was going to get hired by someone else this year. Looked like he was in high demand. Liked we went out and pulled the trigger right away. Professional football (sports) is the only profession where people assume you will never get better you never adapt and change.

I can see that many fans assume that coaches never get better...... but

People that work in the field clearly don't.

By the "he's been fired twice before here" standard,  all our coaches would be ones who have not been fired..... how many people are there in that category, that are available, and that we want?

I'll say one thing - I'd rather have Lapo than be searching for guys like BC and Edmonton are now stuck doing.

I think this is key as well.   Coaching staff is pretty much set which means we should have a head start of selecting guys we want to re sign and figuring out which guys we want to key on for Free Agency.

Was great when he FIRST came to Winnipeg....but he took some wicked shots early on that might've done him in. But if you recall the first several games as a Bomber in 2010...he was outstanding. 

Yeah, and I get reminded of how good he was in 2010 every time I see that insurance ad and they show that run he did for a TD against Hamilton in his first ever game in Blue.  He was at the top of his game in 2010 all right, especially considering his receivers that year were Terence Edwards and Jaymael Smith.

Okay, so wait...

LaPo is a bum because he had Dave Ritchie, Khari Jones, Milt, Chuck, Arland Bruce and Sellers

but Pierce is a damn good QB because he had Buono, Simon, Clermont, Joe Smith, Paris Jackson

Imop pierce was awful with out those guys to carry him. Worse then kerwin bell the slack attack etc.

Was great when he FIRST came to Winnipeg....but he took some wicked shots early on that might've done him in. But if you recall the first several games as a Bomber in 2010...he was outstanding. 

Yeah, and I get reminded of how good he was in 2010 every time I see that insurance ad and they show that run he did for a TD against Hamilton in his first ever game in Blue.  He was at the top of his game in 2010 all right, especially considering his receivers that year were Terence Edwards and Jaymael Smith.

Don't forget Adarius Bowman, Terrence Jeffers Harris, and Brock Ralph

Every team that begins the season has the luxury of surprising the other teams with their " new" schemes. The bigger problem is when the opposition then has secured a bank of video to dissect that new scheme. Perhaps a good example was the last year Wpg went to the Cup. They started out on fire and then limped into the Cup. MOS went 5-1 his first year and then the opposition figured them out.

Every team that begins the season has the luxury of surprising the other teams with their " new" schemes. The bigger problem is when the opposition then has secured a bank of video to dissect that new scheme. Perhaps a good example was the last year Wpg went to the Cup. They started out on fire and then limped into the Cup. MOS went 5-1 his first year and then the opposition figured them out..

....and Marcel's mojo was lost forevermore...

Arash Madani @ArashMadani

I'm told Bob Dyce's office is cleaned out at Riders HQ. An experienced, solid, offensive and special teams coach is available to a #CFL team

I think the Bombers will be interested in him, either as an offensive assistant under LaPo or as ST coach.

WHy not re hire a string of old Head coaches that the Bombers have fired.

Lapolice as OC

Mike Kelly as Receivers coach

Dyce as STC

Doug Berry as QBC

Jim Daley as the guy who gets Wade Miller Coffee and stuff