Robert Marve out for season

Mr. Perfect

Nichols wants to start. Depending on what happens in Montreal, BC, Ottawa, and maybe even Sask, I could see each of those teams showing interest in Nichols. 

No chance Matt Nichols is a starting CFL QB next year. 

Not saying its a slam dunk or anything, but I disagree with you. I'd say there's definitely a real chance.

Willy, BLM, Collaros, Ray, Cato, Crompton, Reilly, and Harris are 8 QB's who are unquestionably better than Nichols - then there's other guys like Lulay, Durant, Glenn, Franklin, Brett Smith, Drew Tate and possibly Burris hanging around. That's 15 Quarterbacks I'd take over Nichols - don't see how he gets a starting job even if guys like Durant can't recover and Burris calls it quits.

Not sure Cato and Crompton have proven themselves better than Nichols at this point.  Cato's barely played and I never thought Crompton was all that good... his career numbers are pretty similar to Nichols as well.  Hell, Edmonton cut Crompton and kept Nichols originally.  However I agree Nichols isn't likely to be anyone's starting QB to open next season.

Nichols wants to start. Depending on what happens in Montreal, BC, Ottawa, and maybe even Sask, I could see each of those teams showing interest in Nichols.

No chance Matt Nichols is a starting CFL QB next year.

Not saying its a slam dunk or anything, but I disagree with you. I'd say there's definitely a real chance.

Willy, BLM, Collaros, Ray, Cato, Crompton, Reilly, and Harris are 8 QB's who are unquestionably better than Nichols - then there's other guys like Lulay, Durant, Glenn, Franklin, Brett Smith, Drew Tate and possibly Burris hanging around. That's 15 Quarterbacks I'd take over Nichols - don't see how he gets a starting job even if guys like Durant can't recover and Burris calls it quits.
I disagree on Cato and Crompton being better. No one knows what Ray will do next year. And you're correct in that I was thinking Burris and Lulay might not play next year.

My scenario also involves Nichols playing well as a Bomber to finish the season.

I don't think I'd put Cato or Crompton above Nichols either, Cato started off strong but has fizzled quite significantly recently.... So much hype to start his career but not much since... He's come back down to earth like lots of of QB's do when teams get film on them. 

I don't think I'd put Cato or Crompton above Nichols either, Cato started off strong but has fizzled quite significantly recently.... So much hype to start his career but not much since... He's come back down to earth like lots of of QB's do when teams get film on them.

Exactly. When you have a solid supporting cast you can push that grace period a bit more but cato, franklin and even crompton all came back to earth after wowing for a bit.. Crompton might be the best currently but cato and franklin are back into unknown levels imo.

Too bad for Marve, and I hope that his injury will not hamper his life after football (which is starting right now), but he contributed nothing to the Bombers and may actually have kept Walters from bringing in a real prospect. Considering the number and severity of knee injuries he has had, the Bomber doctor who checked him out must have been drinking heavily that day.

Why the heck did it take this long to figure out he was done?

Are you guys forgetting that Nichols just got benched for a raw rookie because of poor play and his former team gave him away to a division rival? He's clearly an upgrade over Brohm & Marve, but let's not get crazy here and suggest that any team in the CFL would be comfortable with Matt Nichols as their starting QB. That ship sailed about three years ago.

Too bad for Marve, and I hope that his injury will not hamper his life after football (which is starting right now), but he contributed nothing to the Bombers and may actually have kept Walters from bringing in a real prospect. Considering the number and severity of knee injuries he has had, the Bomber doctor who checked him out must have been drinking heavily that day.

Why the heck did it take this long to figure out he was done?

Geez, now you've done it. Don't you know that once the medical staff clears a player to play there is absolutely no doubt that player is good to go. If you don't know that, just ask the experts here. They will tell you.  :rolleyes:

With Robert Marve's knee problems & history of surgeries,  I don't understand why he was signed in the first place. Why couldn't our great scouts have found a young qb who was healthy? With Marve's knees it would have been pretty easy to see this coming. I know a lot of fans did.

I feel badly for Marve but this is the problem with our team, our so called brilliant scouts bringing in talent like this. How long did anyone associated with the Bombers actually expect this guy to last? Did McManus, Walters or MOS actually think he'd have realistically been expected to play half a season as a starter let alone half a decade?? 

At some point this epidemic of QB injuries is going to harm the leagues bottom line and maybe then they will take it seriously.

You could make the argument it already has as both TV numbers and league wide attendance are down this year.

I know I"m losing interest extremely fast. CFL always has been a second rate pro league but it is our league and I support it. But now it's NHL rookie camp - and McDavid - that I'm interested. In fact, I'm far more interested in reading about McDavid's first day at rookie camp - which was just a physical - than I am about anything CFL, including who the QB is going to be. 

As for the officials - I'm still extremely pissed at that moron Al Bradbury who was looking on when Willy took that hit on the chin. There's supposed to be zero tolerance when a QB gets hit in the head, regardless of the circumstance that lead to that hit in the head. No different than when a punter is contacted. Yet it seems to be open season on Bomber QB's especially. Trust me, if I were a dlineman playing against the bombers, I'd have no concern about hitting a bomber QB low, late, or to the head. Why? Because I already know I got a 50/50 chance of getting away with it (or better) and any retribution on my QB will be called immediately. 

Hence why I call this a second rate league - there are clearly bias's when it comes to officiating. 

At some point this epidemic of QB injuries is going to harm the leagues bottom line and maybe then they will take it seriously.

You could make the argument it already has as both TV numbers and league wide attendance are down this year.

I know I"m losing interest extremely fast. CFL always has been a second rate pro league but it is our league and I support it. But now it's NHL rookie camp - and McDavid - that I'm interested. In fact, I'm far more interested in reading about McDavid's first day at rookie camp - which was just a physical - than I am about anything CFL, including who the QB is going to be. 

As for the officials - I'm still extremely pissed at that moron Al Bradbury who was looking on when Willy took that hit on the chin. There's supposed to be zero tolerance when a QB gets hit in the head, regardless of the circumstance that lead to that hit in the head. No different than when a punter is contacted. Yet it seems to be open season on Bomber QB's especially. Trust me, if I were a dlineman playing against the bombers, I'd have no concern about hitting a bomber QB low, late, or to the head. Why? Because I already know I got a 50/50 chance of getting away with it (or better) and any retribution on my QB will be called immediately. 

Hence why I call this a second rate league - there are clearly bias's when it comes to officiating. 

For a guy who's not interested in the CFL or the Bombers, you sure seem to spend a lot of time talking about them.

Another major problem in the CFL is D-lines constantly dominating O-lines... was just thinking about that while watching the Pats/Steelers game last night... on one play Big Ben was literally just standing in the pocket for what seemed like 3 or 4 seconds checking his options until he found a guy... and this is an o-line without their pro bowl centre against a good Pats front...

until they find a way to even the scales at the LOS... QBs are going to continue to be crushed...

The teams that have the options of using Canadians on spots other than the oline will be the one who dominates soon. Less Canadians starting on the oline the better. I honestly would like to see the bombers go 3 imports on the oline even next season. 2 Canadians and start 5 elsewhere really.

For a guy who's not interested in the CFL or the Bombers, you sure seem to spend a lot of time talking about them.

Who gives a flying **** about the Oilers? 

I feel very badly for Robert Marve and wish him a speedy recovery, and I agree that his playing career is likely over. And like Tracker has said, you wonder what his health status will be when he's 40 or 50 years old. Bet he's had a knee replacement by then.

And.......Nichols is a huge upgrade, but time ( if he gets any ) will tell the tale. Are Ottawa and Hamilton the only teams left with an actual #1 QB who's playing?? Oh I guess Calgary has a #1 playing as well. So 6 out of 9 teams in the league have lost their top QB. And yet questionable hits on quarterbacks continue without penalty. The league better get it's act together.

Another major problem in the CFL is D-lines constantly dominating O-lines... was just thinking about that while watching the Pats/Steelers game last night... on one play Big Ben was literally just standing in the pocket for what seemed like 3 or 4 seconds checking his options until he found a guy... and this is an o-line without their pro bowl centre against a good Pats front...

until they find a way to even the scales at the LOS... QBs are going to continue to be crushed...

It won't until the coaches/managers move of the fixation of plugging the majority of the NI's in on the OL, regardless of the capability of the players, while they use a bunch of imports on the DL.  It's been bad for awhile, gotten worse with Ottawa returning and rosters expanding allowing teams to add another import DL in many cases.  The supply of American pass rushers is much more plentiful than Canadian offensive linemen.