Bombers interested in Jasper Simmons, UPDATE: Signed to PR

gbill2004

I think there's a crazy combo of people over valuing Calgary and undervaluing us. That's okay, but I'm not inclined to blow as much smoke up their asses.

You have to admit, calgarys lb core is much more talented then ours with the exception of bass (if current trends continue) randle really ought to be back in the secondary and hurl, while coming along, is no simpson.

It cant be at all shocking that we would want to add a simmons to our group after seeing how well he can ball while in ottawa.

SAM or DIME or whatever they are calling it this season is a secondary position.  Whoever is playing that spot has to be able to cover slotbacks, often the main target of the offense, on every down.

I think there's a crazy combo of people over valuing Calgary and undervaluing us. That's okay, but I'm not inclined to blow as much smoke up their asses.

You have to admit, calgarys lb core is much more talented then ours with the exception of bass (if current trends continue) randle really ought to be back in the secondary and hurl, while coming along, is no simpson.

It cant be at all shocking that we would want to add a simmons to our group after seeing how well he can ball while in ottawa.

but doing nothing in his 2 years in Toronto and then not even being able to crack the game day roster in Calgary has to be a concern right? I'm going to temper expectations and take a wait and see approach before jumping all over one good year in a poor defence. 

Was it a poor Defence though? I remember it being pretty solid. The ottawa Offence was horrible last year and lost them plenty of games. But I thought the D was decent.

That's a normal day around here, but you did use "established".  As a verb, we have established who our starters are.  As an adjective noun, Calgary has the more established starters.

That's a normal day around here, but you did use "established".  As a verb, we have established who our starters are.  As an adjective noun, Calgary has the more established starters.

yes, as normal as people around  here overvaluing us, but not quite as normal as the carping about people being negative. double carping so to speak.

I like the Simmons signing but I don't love it. He's a good player don't get me wrong but I worry that this may mean we don't go hard after Wild when he is released.

That's my worry too. Let's just hope Wild will make the Steelers roster even on PR.

Btw, Brian Peters is a long shot to make the Vikings. Im not sure about Jalil Carter.

Peters played for Ritchie Hall's D.

Carter played for Mike O'shea's ST.

Any of those 3 is a welcome addition.

but doing nothing in his 2 years in Toronto and then not even being able to crack the game day roster in Calgary has to be a concern right? I'm going to temper expectations and take a wait and see approach before jumping all over one good year in a poor defence. 

Was it a poor Defence though? I remember it being pretty solid. The ottawa Offence was horrible last year and lost them plenty of games. But I thought the D was decent.

Ottawa ranked last or second last in most of the defensive categories last season.

I like the Simmons signing but I don't love it. He's a good player don't get me wrong but I worry that this may mean we don't go hard after Wild when he is released.

That's my worry too. Let's just hope Wild will make the Steelers roster even on PR.

Btw, Brian Peters is a long shot to make the Vikings. Im not sure about Jalil Carter.

I've read conflicting reports on our cap situation this year, but the most recent had us in the range of $600k in cap space remaining. Previous had us $100k over though, so not sure how accurate those reports really are.

I've read conflicting reports on our cap situation this year, but the most recent had us in the range of $600k in cap space remaining. Previous had us $100k over though, so not sure how accurate those reports really are.

0% accurate.

We've got millions of dollars in cap space left this year so far.

Brian Peters is having a solid camp with the Vikings. I'd say he is 50/50 but not a long shot.

fan poll cfl.ca biggest hitter

leader is Khalil Bass 46 % of 12000 votes.

you know what that poll proves... only Bomber and Rider fans are voting... I'm not sure what's more laughable... Elimimian and Bighill combining for only 7% of the vote or Brackenridge getting 37% of votes.... 

It was the same for the 'best hands' poll. Dressler won over Denmark with S.J. Green getting less than 10% of the vote.

SJ Green has awful hands. The fact that him and Bowman were even in that poll was laughable.

SJ Green has awful hands?  Isn't he the ridiculous catch master and in the running for most spectacular reception like every single year?

Bowman had bad hands in Winnipeg - it was REALLY unfortunate that we had to cut him because of all the drops since he's figured something out in Edm and is IMO one of the best receivers in the league ATM 

Would a trio of Bass, Simmons and Wild as WIL, MAC and SAM respectively workable.

I mean I get that the SAM is technically a DB spot but I would think Wild can be a cover guy, he is listed 6.00 208 (not sure if accurate) so I dont think he's too heavy for that position plus he got a good speed and played safety in college.

Of course we need another starting Cdn starter to make the ratio. So Bilukidi would be a great help on that regard.

Would a trio of Bass, Simmons and Wild as WIL, MAC and SAM respectively workable.

I mean I get that the SAM is technically a DB spot but I would think Wild can be a cover guy, he is listed 6.00 208 (not sure if accurate) so I dont think he's too heavy for that position plus he got a good speed and played safety in college.

Of course we need another starting Cdn starter to make the ratio. So Bilukidi would be a great help on that regard.

That trio would be sick.

No we don't, 3 OL, 1 receiver, 1 receiver/fullback, 1 DL, 1 CB = 7. We currently start 1 more canadian than we need to which is why guys like Hurl and Bucknor take so much ****. We don't need them starting and could easily put an american in their spots. 

That trio would be sick.
Sure I'd love to see Ian Wild back here, but as a dimeback? C'mon, seriously. Who here would prefer to have Wild and not Randle regularly covering guys like Dressler or S.J. Green?

Remember that -- outside of short yardage situations -- we are running a 4-2-6 defence. We have only two linebackers. So I doubt there's a way we'll see all three on the field at once.

No we don't, 3 OL, 1 receiver, 1 receiver/fullback, 1 DL, 1 CB = 7. We currently start 1 more canadian than we need to which is why guys like Hurl and Bucknor take so much ****. We don't need them starting and could easily put an american in their spots.

In his scenario, Randle takes over the CBA position from Bucknor and we would need another starter.