Bombers interested in Jasper Simmons, UPDATE: Signed to PR

gbill2004

So I'll admit I don't know the ins and outs of each linebacker spot, I see a lot of talk of maybe rotating him with the existing linebackers. For those with more knowledge than myself, what option makes more sense, either rotating him with the existing linebackers, or making him a starting linebacker, filling those three spots with bass/hurl/simmons, then put randle on the corner instead of bucknor. Leaves you starting 7 Canadians with Adams/Randle on the corners. In theory you'd still be fine in case of an injury as if someone in the secondary goes down you can play bucknor and if a linebacker goes down Randle can always shift back to linebacker with Bucknor coming in to play corner.

All the talk lately of teams picking on Bucknor just wondering if signing Simmons opens up the possibility of putting randle back on the corner

So I'll admit I don't know the ins and outs of each linebacker spot, I see a lot of talk of maybe rotating him with the existing linebackers. For those with more knowledge than myself, what option makes more sense, either rotating him with the existing linebackers, or making him a starting linebacker, filling those three spots with bass/hurl/simmons, then put randle on the corner instead of bucknor. Leaves you starting 7 Canadians with Adams/Randle on the corners. In theory you'd still be fine in case of an injury as if someone in the secondary goes down you can play bucknor and if a linebacker goes down Randle can always shift back to linebacker with Bucknor coming in to play corner.

All the talk lately of teams picking on Bucknor just wondering if signing Simmons opens up the possibility of putting randle back on the corner

Yeah that is another direction they could go.Wonder if they have ever looked at Bucknor at the safety position?

Simmons was a standout in a very bad defence last year with Ottawa, and anyone who give his flat-out best in a consistently losing team rates highly in my books. Whether or not he has personal conduct issues is a whole 'nother matter and we will see when he gets here. If memory serves, KD Williams (he of the gold teeth) had some baggage as be bounced around the CFL but did well here, so who knows about Simmons? I love Simmons' speed.

Hurl has been better in the last couple of games, but hardly dominant and if Simmons can us that, great. We can fit Hurl in somewhere or trade him for value.

Randle's "linebacker" spot is essentially a 3rd HB mirroring the fact that on the majority of downs offenses play 3 SB's and 2 WR's.  Simmons and Bass don't really fit the profile of guys you want covering SB's all the time.

Hurl has greater value as part of our team, as opposed to trade value, unless you get a different NI piece of equal value, which is starting to give me a headache just thinking about it. So no, to a trade, unless you get .......

BC might be in the market for an NI WIL... and they have cap space now.  

Maybe Hurl for Bazzie?

Hurl has greater value as part of our team, as opposed to trade value, unless you get a different NI piece of equal value, which is starting to give me a headache just thinking about it. So no, to a trade, unless you get .......

Maybe Hurl for Bazzie?

I like Bazzie, but you're deleting an NI roster player, who is proving useful now, and more so in the future. We can't afford that deletion IMO.

Randle's "linebacker" spot is essentially a 3rd HB mirroring the fact that on the majority of downs offenses play 3 SB's and 2 WR's.  Simmons and Bass don't really fit the profile of guys you want covering SB's all the time.

appreciate the information.  Growing up somewhere where playing football was never an option my only knowledge is what I've seen watching the game and reading on here, so I appreciate the game, but don't have the position by position knowledge of other sports I've played or coached where I understand what every player should be doing.

Maybe Hurl for Bazzie?

I like Bazzie, but you're deleting an NI roster player, who is proving useful now, and more so in the future. We can't afford that deletion IMO.

I'd still do it... maybe you can add a late pick and get Mrabe-Ajufo

Adams-Washington-Sherman/Newman-Johnson-Randle

Simmons-Bass-Leggett

Bazzie-Collins-Turner/Thomas-Westerman

That's a pretty sweet D.

I don't understand why you want to waste Randle or Adams on the field corner where they can cover the Nate Coehoorns and Sam Gigueres of the league.

I don't understand why you want to turn a rangey playmaking safety into a HB/LB.

Leggett and Randle are the same size.

If Field was so easy, no one would be complaining about Bucknor.

Giguere plays boundary... so technically I'm 'wasting' Randle on the Tori Gurleys and Joe Wests of the league.

I don't understand why you want to waste Randle or Adams on the field corner where they can cover the Nate Coehoorns and Sam Gigueres of the league.

I don't understand why you want to turn a rangey playmaking safety into a HB/LB.

Giguere plays boundary... so technically I'm 'wasting' Randle on the Tori Gurleys and Joe Wests of the league.

In fairness only really ignorant people are complaining about Bucknor...

In fairness only really ignorant people are complaining about Bucknor...

QBs do go after him though...  he's a decent player but Randle's better

Adams on one side and Randle on the other...  probably means another second or two while QBs check down

You seriously think we're better off playing Sherman at safety than we are playing Bucknor on the corner?

If Leggett would be so great as a dime back (which, from looking at the depth chart, is what they call Randle's position) then why have we always lined him up at safety instead of at DB?

You seriously think we're better off playing Sherman at safety than we are playing Bucknor on the corner?

If Leggett would be so great as a dime back (which, from looking at the depth chart, is what they call Randle's position) then why have we always lined him up at safety instead of at DB?

Leggett was a Cornerback before he came here... I mean why did we think Randle would be any good at SAM - anyway, doesn't matter - I'm just saying I'd take a Cdn safety if it meant we had two lockdown cornerbacks.

I mean why did we think Randle would be any good at SAM

How big a change is it for a cornerback to move to halfback? Because Randle isn't an LB, SAM or otherwise. He plays dimeback -- essentially he's just another defensive back, one who's lined up in a part of the field that sees a lot of attempts.

He's rarely cancelling gaps or blitzing or spying quarterbacks or doing the linebacker stuff that Bass and Hurl are doing. He's downfield covering receivers and he doesn't appear to have a lot of other responsibilities in the defence. Even against BC, when Harris was running all over the field, Randle was exclusively watching BC's receivers. On 1st-and-10 in that game he was typically lined up at the same depth as our regular HBs.

The only time I see him get drawn into the box is when the other team is using a tight end, because he's almost always lined up opposite the innermost receiver on the strong side.