Fire O'Shea

holoman

Lol at this entire thread. So great. Marcel has looked like a genius at times this season, but as soon as there's a loss, *BOOM*..... Lol. Love it...wrlcome back after a loss, gang...

Except that's Bellefuile's M.O. - he can be a great OC and call a really balanced game but then he retreats into this hyper conservative mode when things don't go well.  Used to be 50/50, now I'd say he's 30/70...

The first drive was really well planned... but just no adjustments after that

So you think Willy holds the ball too long and the o line isn't a problem? What about Hickman coming off the edge like he was spinning a turnstile?

I've posted on here several times that I believe the protection problems are a result of (in order):

1. Bellefeuiles schemes

2. Willy holding the ball too long and pre-snap reads/adjustments

3. OL talent/coaching

273 total yards on offense and a grand total of 8 points against a defense that had little to play for after the first half - it's only natural for the defense to let up a little bit with such a huge lead.  Yet, the Bombers could only score 8 points...and they punted the ball 12 times....and I see a comment from Goalie that the offense had some "nice drives."  Laughable.  With MB in charge I think it's pretty apparent that the Bombers will have, at best, an average offense.  At worst, with Willy out, an offense that probably sinks to the bottom of the league.

The OL couldn't put more than 2 decent plays in a row together.  Limiting factor on this offense, doesn't matter if they bring in Mike McCarthy or Dave Dickenson or Vince Lombardi to call the plays.  Bellefeuille has a history in the league so you can judge him on that, but hard to judge the job he's doing here just because that offensive line is so awful.  When your QB has a guy like Laurent two steps away from him by the time the snap is in his hands it doesn't matter if it's a screen, shovel pass, or what hot routes he's called pre-snap, the play is over.

It isn't hard to judge his job here. Last year, ok the talent was flawed. This year we have at the very least decent talent on the oline. And this exact thing happens everywhere Marcel goes. Just to beat a dead horse, while in MTL his O gave up over 50 sacks...the very next year, they gave up below 25....same players. It's not something that is going to change.

So you think Willy holds the ball too long and the o line isn't a problem? What about Hickman coming off the edge like he was spinning a turnstile?

I've posted on here several times that I believe the protection problems are a result of (in order):

1. Bellefeuiles schemes

2. Willy holding the ball too long and pre-snap reads/adjustments

3. OL talent/coaching

Good call... if you think it's one issue, and one issue only... you're clearly not watching the game... there are always several issues contributing to a major problem... I agree that if we fix the first issue on this list, it makes the biggest difference...

No firing should happen in the middle of the season that rarely works.

In Offense, I'm Walters / O'shea I'll hire an offensive consultant who will be a candidate to be the next OC to start the transition and fire MarcelB at the end of the season. The talents are there the protection schemes and the play calling are biggest issue so far. 

In Defense, I believe the Rithcie Hall is a good coach. we just need an additional talent here and there... like on the DE and the MLB.

Gbill is correct. This is a multi faceted issue

First and foremost we are dealing with a pocket passer. This means teams will blitz with out any regard for breaking contain.

With that in mind.. To counter this.. We need either a great offensive line or a qb that makes fast reads and delivers the ball quick.

So what's our issue? Our offensive line is average at best, and our play calling is atrocious. We have slow developing routes and a qb who isn't making quick decisions. It's a recipe for disaster.

Is the coaching to blame? Yes.

Is the offensive line to blame? Yes.

Is Drew Willy to blame? Yes.

People who blame just one of the three are out to lunch and don't know how football works. And I hate playing that card but it's true.

Willy has pass rushers in his face by the time he gets the ball in the games vs Hamilton and Edmonton over and over again.  That's just poor OL play.  You can't even tell what the playcall is on most of those plays because Willy is running for his life or being taken to the turf before anything develops, he has no chance to get his eyes downfield.  Flipping to quick game wouldn't matter if your QB isn't even given the time to set and throw from the time the ball is snapped.  

Even against BC who didn't have a great pass rush he was making a lot of throws with Picard being blown back right into him off the snap.  Picard's not even smart enough or willing to tie the play by hitting the dirt.  Realize your limitations.  

The TD to Adams vs BC is a good example, Willy tossed that bomb just with his upper body because he had no chance to step into that throw with Picard in his lap.  If you have 2 guys on the field who can't block anybody and make mental mistakes on top of that, the rest of your offence has no chance to do anything consistently.  

Laurent and Hall didn't even have to steamroll Picard or Neufeld on many snaps yesterday, they just straight up came out of their stance and surged through their gap without as much as a speed bump to hurdle.  How the hell does that happen on the inside?  Those guys aren't even extra rushers, they are the freaking DT's!  Those guys are accounted for first and foremost in the protection.  Picard is here as a veteran presence, he's never been able to block CFL DL, he's been a reliable snapper.  His snaps have been terrible this season and there are tons of mental breakdowns on his OL.  Is Goossen that bad?

This needs to be addressed ASAP if they have any aspirations of winning more than 6-7 games this season, because even as the rest of the team gets better, that OL, the C and LG spots in particular, are going to hold everything back.

There's blame to go around but I would love to hear somebody actually elaborate on how it's Drew Willy's fault. I'm not saying he's perfect or that he doesn't have plays where he doesn't do as he should, but I'd like to actually see somebody bring more of an argument to the table than "he doesn't get the ball out quick enough" - seems like such a last year argument at this point.

Gbill is correct. This is a multi faceted issue

First and foremost we are dealing with a pocket passer. This means teams will blitz with out any regard for breaking contain.

With that in mind.. To counter this.. We need either a great offensive line or a qb that makes fast reads and delivers the ball quick.

So what's our issue? Our offensive line is average at best, and our play calling is atrocious. We have slow developing routes and a qb who isn't making quick decisions. It's a recipe for disaster.

Is the coaching to blame? Yes.

Is the offensive line to blame? Yes.

Is Drew Willy to blame? Yes.

People who blame just one of the three are out to lunch and don't know how football works. And I hate playing that card but it's true.

There's always more than one problem when you have a game like yesterday. Saying that, I think 2 of the 3 issues can be addressed quickly by getting rid of the first one. I know I'm going on about it, but 7 games in is enough. Willy has proven he can perform and perform well. He is our future and I don't want to watch a mediocre OC ruin his career.

Willy has pass rushers in his face by the time he gets the ball in the games vs Hamilton and Edmonton over and over again.  That's just poor OL play.  You can't even tell what the playcall is on most of those plays because Willy is running for his life or being taken to the turf before anything develops, he has no chance to get his eyes downfield.  Flipping to quick game wouldn't matter if your QB isn't even given the time to set and throw from the time the ball is snapped.  

Even against BC who didn't have a great pass rush he was making a lot of throws with Picard being blown back right into him off the snap.  Picard's not even smart enough or willing to tie the play by hitting the dirt.  Realize your limitations.  

The TD to Adams vs BC is a good example, Willy tossed that bomb just with his upper body because he had no chance to step into that throw with Picard in his lap.  If you have 2 guys on the field who can't block anybody and make mental mistakes on top of that, the rest of your offence has no chance to do anything consistently.  

Laurent and Hall didn't even have to steamroll Picard or Neufeld on many snaps yesterday, they just straight up came out of their stance and surged through their gap without as much as a speed bump to hurdle.  How the hell does that happen on the inside?  Those guys aren't even extra rushers, they are the freaking DT's!  Those guys are accounted for first and foremost in the protection.  Picard is here as a veteran presence, he's never been able to block CFL DL, he's been a reliable snapper.  His snaps have been terrible this season and there are tons of mental breakdowns on his OL.  Is Goossen that bad?

This needs to be addressed ASAP if they have any aspirations of winning more than 6-7 games this season, because even as the rest of the team gets better, that OL, the C and LG spots in particular, are going to hold everything back.

Except for the first pass of the game which was a designed sprint-out, Drew Willy always seem to be locked into a 3 step drop. If he rolled a bit and moved the launch point, he'd give himself more options - including the option to run. Also, I agree our Oline gets manhandled and pushed back way to often. But on at least 3 of the 6 sacks the defender got into our backfield untouched. That is what happens when you don't properly identify the scheme you're facing. So it's mental, too, not just physical shortcomings. I think we also just got out-coached by a team with superior talent.

Except for the first pass of the game which was a designed sprint-out, Drew Willy always seem to be locked into a 3 step drop. If he rolled a bit and moved the launch point, he'd give himself more options - including the option to run. Also, I agree our Oline gets manhandled and pushed back way to often. But on at least 3 of the 6 sacks the defender got into our backfield untouched. That is what happens when you don't properly identify the scheme you're facing. So it's mental, too, not just physical shortcomings. I think we also just got out-coached by a team with superior talent.

I don't even know about the superior talent thing, but I think at this point it's pretty clear that Bellefool has an absolute mental block when it comes to the Hamilton defense. Other teams don't have that much trouble with them but for the Bombers it's just like there's a brick wall in front of them. 

One of my many issues with Marcel is the inability to deal with pressure and basically how shitty the OL looks in his system. Montreal in 07 that OL was brutal, 08 not so much. Us, yeah last year the OL looked awful. This year, Bryant, Chungh, Picard are new starters. Same result. When it keeps occuring again and again, you have to question the system and the coaching. Fire Marcel today.

There's blame to go around but I would love to hear somebody actually elaborate on how it's Drew Willy's fault. I'm not saying he's perfect or that he doesn't have plays where he doesn't do as he should, but I'd like to actually see somebody bring more of an argument to the table than "he doesn't get the ball out quick enough" - seems like such a last year argument at this point.

I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend. Reading blitzes, making quick decisions, and getting rid of the ball is how Danny Mcmanus made a career. It's where Willy is lacking. Just because you don't like the argument doesn't make it invalid

Watching Picard (Marcel) attempting to get the line calls straight, was like watch a duck, after it was hit over the head with the rubber hammer.  We just looked so passive and confused up there.  There is no rule that states you cannot at least rub or chip a guy on the way in.   Even after Willy went out....had 2 plays where guys came in on Brohm, untouched....and on the Marve pick, he had backside pressure from a guy who (you guessed it) was untouched.....

Edm/Ham make us look like puppies, out there....and it starts with this OC, who has nothing, when the other team amps up the pressure.  Picard has been a massive dissapointment, so far, and Neufled took a major step back this week.