[MERGED] Drew Willy Watch And Fine Discussion

Well, I'll be the downer... but I think this is terrible news.  I thought it was a bad idea to try and rush Buck back and I think its a bad idea to rush Willy back...  he was unconscious and looked completely out of it even when he got up. 

Sit him for 2-3 weeks just to be safe - I'd rather have him healthy for the last 8 games than re-injured in Game 4.

Well, I'll be the downer... but I think this is terrible news.  I thought it was a bad idea to try and rush Buck back and I think its a bad idea to rush Willy back...  he was unconscious and looked completely out of it even when he got up. 

Sit him for 2-3 weeks just to be safe - I'd rather have him healthy for the last 8 games than re-injured in Game 4.

and, to your credit, you do know more than our medical staff...

While I'm not against sitting him for a week. If he was concussed at all or still had symptoms he would not be practising, let alone cleared to play this early in the week.

Everyone seems to forget that these people are certified doctors and do know what they're doing. If he wasn't healthy enough to practice and be cleared to play, then he'd be watching practice instead or participating. I'd like to think a doctors word would go further than a coaches on health.

I hate to disagree with you Doctor, but they arent rushing Willy back.  That implies he is injured and, in week 3, they are forcing him to play.  He is not injured.  He is cleared by medical people.  He is good to go.  Also, he was not unconscious by most accounts unless I missed something.  Laying on the field doesnt mean he was unconscious and if he was, it means he lost consciousness sometime after being hit because he was conscious when he was hit and reacted to it.

Well, I'll be the downer... but I think this is terrible news. I thought it was a bad idea to try and rush Buck back and I think its a bad idea to rush Willy back... he was unconscious and looked completely out of it even when he got up.

Think about this for a second... do you truly, honestly, believe that with modern concussion awareness and the potential health of a young man in mind... the bombers medical and coaching staff would

1. Rush back a concussed player

2. Risk Willy's long term football career and personal health

Just to try and win game 3 of the season??

Well, I'll be the downer... but I think this is terrible news. I thought it was a bad idea to try and rush Buck back and I think its a bad idea to rush Willy back... he was unconscious and looked completely out of it even when he got up.

When you ran him through the medical protocol, what signs did you see that bothered you?

The only flaw I see is people who weren't on the field or in the room with him thinking just because he got hit in the head region that he had a concussion. He didn't tho by the sounds of it. Tsn was speculating after the game but they weren't even in winnipeg. He passed the tests.

Funny, very similar responses that I got when I suggested that the team had rushed Buck back...  and yes, I'm no doctor.

But I do know that even if he has a 'mild' concussion and gets another head shot within the first three weeks, then thats the season. 

Well, that injury did happen very early in the game, I know everyone is a doctor lol and all this stuff but judging from my own past experiences with head injuries (i've had 4 concussions through the years now) Sometimes the ones that you think are guaranteed to do damage, they don't.

The fact that it happened early in the game, who knows.. head injuries are very interesting things. Sometimes like i said the ones you think are gonna do the most damage don't at all...

It's odd actually. TSN was speculating hardcore and i wish they wouldn't do that, he's gonna be out 3 4 weeks they said on the panel. Kind of makes them look like big time morons. Who knows, maybe Willy didn't even get a concussion, maybe he was just knocked out for a bit.

If you've been knocked out .. you've suffered a concussion.

That's not true. A concussion is a very specific injury and there's a lot of misinformation out there.

You also don't have to be knocked out to suffer one.

I've been in sessions done by the Dr. who works with the NHL on concussion research. He also said you heal almost instantly, the actual injury that is. You may suffer some lasting effects however. Everyone is different.

He said the most dangerous aspect is taking a second hit shortly after. As in the same day. You can recover quite quickly from one.

There might be flaws in the concussion protocols.

I wouldn't let him play. it's too soon. (common sense protocol)

http://en.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/208943.html

I have to agree. Concussion protocols are almost laughably poor.

I'm not saying Willy was knocked out or has a concussion, but there is still a ton of work to be done in the field of brain injuries and concussion awareness. Anyone in here making definitive statements about head injuries or concussion protocols is simply trying to make themselves seem more knowledgeable than they actually are. The medical community at large is still looking for answers, they certainly don't exist on a football forum.

Willy took a hard shot to the head and it was enough that the medical pros felt it necessary to hold him out of the game. What do you have to lose by holding him our for a week? A football game. What does he have to lose by throwing him back in too early? His mental health, quality of life, and a myriad of other concerns related to concussions. This is why I would err on the side of caution. The risk-reward just doesn't make sense.

Again, not saying he has a concussion and not saying the team is being irresponsible. But if it was me in charge, it would be no play for 2 weeks after the last symptom or, if there were no symptoms, the initial hit. No exceptions.

There might be flaws in the concussion protocols.

http://en.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/208943.html

I have to agree. Concussion protocols are almost laughably poor.

I'm not saying Willy was knocked out or has a concussion, but there is still a ton of work to be done in the field of brain injuries and concussion awareness. Anyone in here making definitive statements about head injuries or concussion protocols is simply trying to make themselves seem more knowledgeable than they actually are. The medical community at large is still looking for answers, they certainly don't exist on a football forum.

Willy took a hard shot to the head and it was enough that the medical pros felt it necessary to hold him out of the game. What do you have to lose by holding him our for a week? A football game. What does he have to lose by throwing him back in too early? His mental health, quality of life, and a myriad of other concerns related to concussions. This is why I would err on the side of caution. The risk-reward just doesn't make sense.

Again, not saying he has a concussion and not saying the team is being irresponsible. But if it was me in charge, it would be no play for 2 weeks after the last symptom or, if there were no symptoms, the initial hit. No exceptions.

What's the significance of 14 days compared to 8, in your opinion?

There might be  flaws in the concussion protocols. The whole area is new. 

Why do you think this...above and beyond what his doctors and he say? He passed the tests.  Does it mean he did NOT suffer a concussion?  No, I wont say that.  But you dont hold him out "just because" when he's passed all the testing, has no ill effect from the hit and feels fine.  There is just no sound medical reason.

Common sense means following the medical team's expert medical opinion.