TC Practice June 17th

Noeller

Paddy Neufeld is a versatile Canadian O Lineman of a respectable skill level who is 26 year old. Other than Quarterbacks what's more valuable in this league?

You draft guys in the first round hoping they can be Paddy Neufuld. Broken down 33 year old Canadian O Linemen who were never as good as Neufeld still get signed in this league. The lumox Paul Swyston gets three years to prove how much he sucks in this league. If you are a 6'6 big bellied Canadian who can two step and has ever accidentally gotten in someone's way in the cereal aisle at Superstore you're worth $100,000 to a CFL team.

So Paddy gets hurt. A lot. And it is so very frustrating for us fans. No doubt about it.

But man, the Paddy Neufeld's of this country are gold. And I don't want to see us give up on him too early. I don't care if it takes till Week 8 for him to practice. Because I guarantee when Week 8 rolls around Greaves or Chung or Mattias or Picard or all of them are injured and none of us will complain that Paddy gets paid like a starter and was hurt all this time. Because your other options will be to start Thomas instead of Anderson or Sherman instead of Randall or god forbid, find Paul Swyston and throw him in there.

Plus, you get the added bonus of maybe watching Paddy Neufeld start 130 games over the next 10 years in green and white. I'm willing to wait.

Best and most entertaining post in awhile.

I have the impression that this Richardson guy, will take many UC penalties, if he's in the game.

With his demeanor and reputation Picard is going increase the flag count substantially.  Won't be surprised if he doesn't become a fan favourite around this neighborhood.

He isn't now?

Paddy Neufeld is a versatile Canadian O Lineman of a respectable skill level who is 26 year old.  Other than Quarterbacks what's more valuable in this league?

You draft guys in the first round hoping they can be Paddy Neufuld.  Broken down 33 year old Canadian O Linemen who were never as good as Neufeld still get signed in this league.  The lumox Paul Swyston gets three years to prove how much he sucks in this league.  If you are a 6'6 big bellied Canadian who can two step and  has ever accidentally gotten in someone's way in the cereal aisle at Superstore you're worth $100,000 to a CFL team.  

So Paddy gets hurt.  A lot.  And it is so very frustrating for us fans.  No doubt about it.

But man, the Paddy Neufeld's of this country are gold.  And I don't want to see us give up on him too early.  I don't care if it takes till Week 8 for him to practice.  Because I guarantee when Week 8 rolls around Greaves or Chung or Mattias or Picard or all of them are injured and none of us will complain that Paddy gets paid like a starter and was hurt all this time.  Because your other options will be to start Thomas instead of Anderson or Sherman instead of Randall or god forbid, find Paul Swyston and throw him in there.  

Plus, you get the added bonus of maybe watching Paddy Neufeld start 130 games over the next 10 years in green and white.  I'm willing to wait.

People you can rely on. Guys who are always on the IR are unreliable and you are better off looking for a better option than them and spending money on someone who is going to be able to play most of the games for you. You rely on injury prone players you better have good ******* depth behind them or it's trouble when they inevitably get hurt.

Take a look at the Canadian OL in free agency this past offseason and its pretty easy to see why Neufeld still has a job. Hey, Gord Hinse can stay healthy. Maybe we should have cut Neufeld and re-signed Hinse...

at least you can plan around a guy who stays healthy. What good is a guy being better if he can't play? You're still dipping into your depth while he's on the IR and it throws the rest of the roster out of sync when you have to shuffle things around. 

Take a look at the Canadian OL in free agency this past offseason and its pretty easy to see why Neufeld still has a job. Hey, Gord Hinse can stay healthy. Maybe we should have cut Neufeld and re-signed Hinse...

at least you can plan around a guy who stays healthy. What good is a guy being better if he can't play? You're still dipping into your depth while he's on the IR and it throws the rest of the roster out of sync when you have to shuffle things around.

I guess the question is whether you'd rather settle for guaranteed mediocrity or take a risk on someone talented. But you've never struck me as much of a risk taker so I get where you're coming from. Nancy.

I don't know how you can praise Neufeld while ripping Swiston.  Short of one season when Neufeld got a bunch of starts at tackle in Regina with a tight end or fullback glued to his butt in pass protection, there is no difference between them in their CFL careers.  Can't stay healthy, both struggle when playing inside because they are natural tackles but not quite quick enough to be good ones in the CFL.

I was never a fan of the move to acquire Neufeld.  We basically gave away a guy with value and downgraded a draft pick for an overpaid and overrated player with a career-threatening injury.  Helped out the Riders in a lot of ways.

I guess the question is whether you'd rather settle for guaranteed mediocrity or take a risk on someone talented. But you've never struck me as much of a risk taker so I get where you're coming from. Nancy.

Yes I would rather have guaranteed mediocrity than a guy who breaks easily. It's a dumb risk to take. Unless a guy is light years better you don't put up with that and sorry but Neufeld is not light years better than anyone. 

Its players like Neufeld who make coaches (and GMs) crazy. The size and talent are there, but if you can't depend on them, it really messes with the game plan. We've had a lot of good, even great players here in the CFL who just did not have their parts glued together well enough to have a career- Jesse Lumsden comes to mind. At some point, if Neufeld cannot stay healthy enough to earn his paycheque, he becomes a liability and he will be replaced as soon as someone close enough to his level becomes available..

I read today that TSN can't even stream Friday's game because IGF doesn't have the infrastructure to support it. 

Meh, up until recently we didn't even get the majority of our regular season games on TV. I'm more than happy to listen to 1-2 preseason games on the radio (especially with Bob Irving doing the play by play).

Do I blame Walters for taking a chance on acquiring an experienced NI starter for an import DE who was fleeing for the NFL?

No.

Even if there was a question mark as to his durability?

It's an NI Ol. We didn't have any.

And the picks?

Dylan Ainsworth DL to Sask. and Christophe Normand to Winnipeg.

I read today that TSN can't even stream Friday's game because IGF doesn't have the infrastructure to support it.

Sounds like a lame excuse to me.  There's a jumbotron feed and internet access.  Same as Varsity.

Rifles stream from IGF no problem.

Thank god for Chungh and Goossen's progression or Neufeld's injury problems would be a lot more serious.

This is why I think Neufeld may be expendable after this year if he doesn't prove to be reliable... maybe we draft another OL 9th overall next year... ;) ... and he is a versitile 6th man to replace Neufeld...

How many NI OL are we going to carry on the 46?  Greaves, Picard, Chungh look to be the starters with Goosen as the game day backup. Neufeld's salary + his injury status/history make him pretty much untradable. I doubt he'd would accept the PR (Griffiths to the PR?).  That leaves the 1 game IR at full salary.  Can we afford that?  Sure, but should we use that much of the cap for a backup with an poor injury history?  I don't think so.

Is Neufeld a good backup to have?  Sure if he stays healthy, but if he could do that, he'd be a starter.  Will less reps help him stay on the field?  Maybe, but we have to be pretty sure he can play the rest of the season if one NI starter goes down with a significant injury.  I don't think that's a good bet.  

Will we keep him despite his injury situation and salary?  I think we will.  NI's get second and third and fourth.... chances, especially if they've been starters.

Thank god for Chungh and Goossen's progression or Neufeld's injury problems would be a lot more serious.

This is why I think Neufeld may be expendable after this year if he doesn't prove to be reliable... maybe we draft another OL 9th overall next year... ;) ... and he is a versitile 6th man to replace Neufeld...

I see where you're going with that, but I believe we gave up our 1st round pick for Waggoner.   ;) 

How many NI OL are we going to carry on the 46?  Greaves, Picard, Chungh look to be the starters with Goosen as the game day backup. Neufeld's salary + his injury status/history make him pretty much untradable. I doubt he'd would accept the PR (Griffiths to the PR?).  That leaves the 1 game IR at full salary.  Can we afford that?  Sure, but should we use that much of the cap for a backup with an poor injury history?  I don't think so.

Is Neufeld a good backup to have?  Sure if he stays healthy, but if he could do that, he'd be a starter.  Will less reps help him stay on the field?  Maybe, but we have to be pretty sure he can play the rest of the season if one NI starter goes down with a significant injury.  I don't think that's a good bet.  

Will we keep him despite his injury situation and salary?  I think we will.  NI's get second and third and fourth.... chances, especially if they've been starters.

Especially when they are the GMs own personal pet project. 

Bad wording by Drew Edwards. The infrastructure is there. It's more a logistal thing since the Bombers' main priority is to get IGF ready for the game now that the WWC is finished here.

More like intentionally misleading and somewhat inflammatory wording.

World cups have a single video provider but a multitude of broadcast partners doing play by play over that video feed.  The setup and tear down is a fair sized undertaking.

I see where you're going with that, but I believe we gave up our 1st round pick for Waggoner.   ;)

Ah yes I forgot... well there is usually still a decent O-lineman at 18... right?