Cory Watson traded again

With the addition of Watson, Edmonton now has 7 National REC - Bailey, Barrett, Chambers, Coehorn, Foster, Jackson and Watson.

I think someone has to move unless they are planning to start 3 National REC.

Will they trade up (to draft an OL) by giving up their #7, 1 of their REC and a later pick ?

Hervey's mo is size/strength on both sides of the ball. I think he'll hang on to Watson.

Riders fans are apopleptic. Taman is going to have to create a diversion to calm the masses before they soil themselves. Considering that few have changes of undergarments and even less have familiarity with bathroom tissue, this would be bad.

Don't underestimate the value of a frontline long snapper. Case in point when Winnipeg lost Wild for games and struggled to fill the void. Perhaps trades should be evaluated in Nov. not May?

Long snappers are important, but at any given time there are five guys watching the games on TV teams could call who can do the job.  The problem here last year was that they refused to use a roster spot on someone who is simply a long snapper.  It's bizarre to trade anything of value for one.

Make all the Taman jokes you want, but that guy bought a blowout Grey Cup win in front of the home fans in the home barn....he gets a pass for life, in my books.

Fixed it for you. 

Sustaining a roster has always been his downfall .. it's EASY to build a winner when you have a blank cheque .. it's something entirely different when you have to manage a roster, build depth and sustainability .. 

Taman doesn't build depth, he goes for a good top end and pays for it but neglects the depth in the process. He also likes to plan year to year and doesn't pay too much attention long term. I like Taman and he's a much better GM than a lot of people around these parts give him credit for, but he operates in a pretty predictable way. 

Taman doesn't build depth, he goes for a good top end and pays for it but neglects the depth in the process. He also likes to plan year to year and doesn't pay too much attention long term. I like Taman and he's a much better GM than a lot of people around these parts give him credit for, but he operates in a pretty predictable way. 

Not disagreeing with anything that anyone is saying in this thread, but I would give ANYTHING to be in the barn for a hometown blowout GC win to end a drought. And the GM who made it happen, by any and all means necessary, would get a free pass for life from me...

A much better GM? Not so sure. How long has he been in the league? How many championships? How many winning seasons? Not trying to be a smart ass, I'm actually curious...I know he only has one grey cup though

What kind of drought did Taman end exactly? The winning it at home in sask drought? Cuz i mean SASK won the grey cup a few years ago too, when Miller or whatever Grampas name is, was the GM and Coach.

Winning at home is great and all but.... at the same time, I'm not sure what drought taman broke when sask won the cup at home.

They beat us to win it a few short (maybe more than a few but not more than 5 or 6) years ago in Toronto. 

Not disagreeing with anything that anyone is saying in this thread, but I would give ANYTHING to be in the barn for a hometown blowout GC win to end a drought. And the GM who made it happen, by any and all means necessary, would get a free pass for life from me...

While this is true. Taman's MO is to build a powerhouse at any cost, and then rebuild. That's not what I want. Especially because we just had Taman do it...and if you don't win it all...it's even worse, as we all know. I want a huff or a Pop or a Buono. Someone who is going to build a powerhouse that stays that way for years. I'd trade that for a GC win at home 100%. 

While the jury is still out on the Riders this season and Taman's legacy there, bomber fans have seen this all before which is why it's so funny.

The reality is Taman did do this exact thing with the Bombers... but as we all remember too well KG got hurt and it didn't quite pan out... so if we were in the exact same situation now but had the 07 win, I'd be quite happy with the Taman era...

I flipped back to the years Taman was GM here and was astounded that we had the following:

2004 - No first or second round picks

2005 - No first, second or third picks

2006 - No first or second round picks

2007 - No first round pick

2008 - One first round pick

One first round pick in 5 drafts.  And since 2004 we have 1 of our draft picks currently on the team (so I heard this morning).  I know Taman has always done things this way but past history shows it doesn't really work.  He got us close to a cup and got the Riders a cup yes.  But he left us bare and is now starting to deplete the Riders roster. I agree with most others.  I would rather a GM build through the draft and maintain good quality Canadians then trade picks away and sign aging vets at any cost. 

I flipped back to the years Taman was GM here and was astounded that we had the following:

One first round pick in 5 drafts.  And since 2004 we have 1 of our draft picks currently on the team (so I heard this morning).  I know Taman has always done things this way but past history shows it doesn't really work.  He got us close to a cup and got the Riders a cup yes.  But he left us bare and is now starting to deplete the Riders roster. I agree with most others.  I would rather a GM build through the draft and maintain good quality Canadians then trade picks away and sign aging vets at any cost. 

We're on our third GM since Taman was here and I'd argue we are in worse shape now with regards to NIs than when Taman left. At least Taman left the team with 2 top end Canadian players on the roster, now we've got a bunch of servicable guys but no real Canadian stars. 

We're on our third GM since Taman was here and I'd argue we are in worse shape now with regards to NIs than when Taman left. At least Taman left the team with 2 top end Canadian players on the roster, now we've got a bunch of servicable guys but no real Canadian stars. 

Agree! I don't mean to blame it all on Taman but from 04-08 his drafting sucked.  He signed more FAs and made trades for Canadians then drafting.  Which I said is the way he likes to do things but it doesn't really work.  He builds teams for the now and doesn't take into consideration the future of the team. Since his departure Mack and Company did a much worse job then Taman which left Walters in a bind. I think if we had gone from Taman to Walters we would have had a better built team by now (Yes I know Walters wasn't an option yet I am just saying if we could have).

Not exactly fair because the team we have now also bears the effects of Kelly and Mack.  It's pretty clear that Taman gives a lot less weight to the draft that most of the other GMs.  It's also clear (to me at least) that he's not had the same sort of success at building teams at the Buonos, Popps and Hufnagels have enjoyed so I'm happy that thus far, Walters seems to be more of them and less of Taman.

Mack actually had 4 first round picks in his 4 drafts here... 5 if you count Poblah.  0 in 2010 because of Mike Kelly, 2 in 2011, 1 in 2012 (2 with Poblah), 1 in 2013.  It's just too bad he didn't have a damn clue what to do with them.

Poblah, Etienne, Muamba, Mulumba and Pencer? My god what a cast of busts.