Free agency news

BigBlue

Darvin Adams, don't remember much about this guys past. Can someone elaborate.

Derick Armstrong type, will likely play the boundary WR, allow Denmark, Moore and Kohlert to play slot most of the time.  Those guys took turns at the boundary last year but we didn't have a true fit for that spot, Denmark played it best.

Isn't he aporox 40 pounds lighter than Armstrong? I've read more people comparing him to Edwards.

Darvin Adams, don't remember much about this guys past. Can someone elaborate.

Derick Armstrong type, will likely play the boundary WR, allow Denmark, Moore and Kohlert to play slot most of the time.  Those guys took turns at the boundary last year but we didn't have a true fit for that spot, Denmark played it best.

Isn't he aporox 40 pounds lighter than Armstrong? I've read more people comparing him to Edwards.

6'3 190-195.  Armstrong was 6'2 205-210

I mostly remember him from that pre-season game in Winnipeg last year and the game in Ottawa where he had a bad drop then came back and had a nice TD.  He's definitely a guy who is going to be a back shoulder, jump ball type WR, more about using his body to get position and fighting for the ball than a guy running real precise routes to get open.  Not much like Edwards at all IMO.

Macdougall thoughts on Regina

Ian Busby, Calgary Sun

Someone with limited knowledge of Saskatchewan history might think Keenan MacDougall would be conflicted this week.

How exactly would a lifelong Saskatchewan resident feel about having to knock the Roughriders out of the CFL playoffs when the Stampeders face off against the Regina-based team Sunday

(2:30 p.m., TSN, QR77).

Look a bit closer at MacDougall’s bio, and it becomes clear he doesn’t have a problem with that at all.

See, the Calgary Stampeders defensive back is from Saskatoon. He grew up with a complete disdain for all things Regina.

In the Saskatchewan-based TV show Corner Gas, the residents of Dog River spit on the floor every time the neighbouring town of Wullerton is mentioned.

It’s not far from the truth.

“That’s the kind of feeling I get hearing about Regina,” MacDougall said. “I really do hate Regina. Does it really need to be explained why? Maybe for those who haven’t been there. Anyone who has been there already knows.”

As a rookie with the Stamps, MacDougall has had to explain to his teammates this year that he doesn’t love the Roughriders. He played for the University of Saskatchewan, wearing green of course, but his Huskies hated the Regina Rams.

The other question he gets is: ‘Aren’t Saskatoon and Regina geographically and demographically the same?’

“Everyone on our team says the same thing,” MacDougall said. “There is a huge difference between Saskatoon and Regina. In terms of the actual city … I just don’t like it.”

Fellow defensive back Eric Fraser appreciates the 22-year-old’s passion for hating Regina, but he questions the logic, too.

“For some reason, he thinks Saskatoon is like Vancouver,” said Fraser, who happens to be from Burnaby in B.C.’s Lower Mainland.

“It’s like he’s from this sprawling urban metropolis with mountains and the ocean. He talks like it’s the greatest place on Earth. You have to remind him it’s still Saskatchewan.

“Your biggest ski hill is 60 feet and there is no scenery.”

MacDougall looked for a moment or two like he might be starting at safety this week in place of Fraser, but the third-year veteran returned to practice Thursday after working through a knee injury suffered last week in Edmonton.

Regardless, MacDougall is ‘super excited’ to be playing as a part-timer in his first CFL post-season game, especially since it’s against the hated Riders.

Back home, he’s sure he has converted his friends and family to Stampeders fans. Saskatoon has strong support for the Roughriders, but MacDougall never fell in love with them growing up.

They were based in Regina, after all.

“It’s the team people cheer for,” MacDougall said. “We don’t have a pro hockey team, so they are the ones people root for.

“I was a spectator more than a fan. I watched the games growing up, but I wasn’t a diehard at all.”

There are plenty of rookies who don’t know the recent playoff history between the Riders and Stampeders. Count fellow defensive back Chris Randle among those.

When told Friday that the Stamps had lost four times over a five-year span to the Riders (2006-10), Randle was stunned.

“We’re not those teams,” Randle said. “We’re playing in this game coming up. I didn’t even know about it until right now.”

MacDougall didn’t need to be told much about the rivalry, or the history. He’s observed it from afar.

“It’s not the same feeling when you aren’t with the team that is losing,” MacDougall said. “You see it but it doesn’t hold the same significance.

“You get a war mentality when you get here. That’s the team we have the rivalry with.”

Luckily for MacDougall, the hate was already there.

Wonder how that will go over

#Esks GM Ed Hervey tells @Dave_CHED that LB @RennieCurran53 will not be back. #CFL

I could see Curran end up in Ottawa, seeing as they need a mlb after the Price trade.

On a side note, I found this a bit interesting.

The RedBlacks heard from the agent for receiver Sam Giguere, who’s from Sherbrooke, but Desjardins gave it a quick, “No, thanks.”

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/10/redblacks-sign-fa-receiver?token=99a205f55659cd5033c427346217ce51

Ian Busby, Calgary Sun

Someone with limited knowledge of Saskatchewan history might think Keenan MacDougall would be conflicted this week.

How exactly would a lifelong Saskatchewan resident feel about having to knock the Roughriders out of the CFL playoffs when the Stampeders face off against the Regina-based team Sunday

Look a bit closer at MacDougall’s bio, and it becomes clear he doesn’t have a problem with that at all.

See, the Calgary Stampeders defensive back is from Saskatoon. He grew up with a complete disdain for all things Regina.

In the Saskatchewan-based TV show Corner Gas, the residents of Dog River spit on the floor every time the neighbouring town of Wullerton is mentioned.

“That’s the kind of feeling I get hearing about Regina,” MacDougall said. “I really do hate Regina. Does it really need to be explained why? Maybe for those who haven’t been there. Anyone who has been there already knows.”

As a rookie with the Stamps, MacDougall has had to explain to his teammates this year that he doesn’t love the Roughriders. He played for the University of Saskatchewan, wearing green of course, but his Huskies hated the Regina Rams.

The other question he gets is: ‘Aren’t Saskatoon and Regina geographically and demographically the same?’

“Everyone on our team says the same thing,” MacDougall said. “There is a huge difference between Saskatoon and Regina. In terms of the actual city … I just don’t like it.”

Fellow defensive back Eric Fraser appreciates the 22-year-old’s passion for hating Regina, but he questions the logic, too.

“For some reason, he thinks Saskatoon is like Vancouver,” said Fraser, who happens to be from Burnaby in B.C.’s Lower Mainland.

“It’s like he’s from this sprawling urban metropolis with mountains and the ocean. He talks like it’s the greatest place on Earth. You have to remind him it’s still Saskatchewan.

MacDougall looked for a moment or two like he might be starting at safety this week in place of Fraser, but the third-year veteran returned to practice Thursday after working through a knee injury suffered last week in Edmonton.

Regardless, MacDougall is ‘super excited’ to be playing as a part-timer in his first CFL post-season game, especially since it’s against the hated Riders.

Back home, he’s sure he has converted his friends and family to Stampeders fans. Saskatoon has strong support for the Roughriders, but MacDougall never fell in love with them growing up.

“It’s the team people cheer for,” MacDougall said. “We don’t have a pro hockey team, so they are the ones people root for.

“I was a spectator more than a fan. I watched the games growing up, but I wasn’t a diehard at all.”

There are plenty of rookies who don’t know the recent playoff history between the Riders and Stampeders. Count fellow defensive back Chris Randle among those.

When told Friday that the Stamps had lost four times over a five-year span to the Riders (2006-10), Randle was stunned.

“We’re not those teams,” Randle said. “We’re playing in this game coming up. I didn’t even know about it until right now.”

MacDougall didn’t need to be told much about the rivalry, or the history. He’s observed it from afar.

“It’s not the same feeling when you aren’t with the team that is losing,” MacDougall said. “You see it but it doesn’t hold the same significance.

“You get a war mentality when you get here. That’s the team we have the rivalry with.”

This... Is awesome lol. Tho he will probably pass it off as pontificating as a stamp and he really truly loves saskabush

Ian Busby, Calgary Sun

What do I get out of this? Show me the money....

http://rlv.zcache.com/show_me_the_money_sticker-r76752b64af7c4df38649823ec6d3050d_v9wz7_8byvr_324.jpg

Ironically enough, I'm sort of rooting for Ottawa to be a much better team than last year. We do not need another gong show in Ottawa after all the miseries they have gone through. Besides, the more competitive Ottawa is, the more likely the eastern teams are to beat each other up and the ratings on TSN would be higher if the game quality goes up. Win-win.

Ironically enough, I'm sort of rooting for Ottawa to be a much better team than last year. We do not need another gong show in Ottawa after all the miseries they have gone through. Besides, the more competitive Ottawa is, the more likely the eastern teams are to beat each other up and the ratings on TSN would be higher if the game quality goes up. Win-win.

Nah, they're another CFL team so a pox on them. ;)

#Esks GM Ed Hervey tells @Dave_CHED that LB @RennieCurran53 will not be back. #CFL

I could see Curran end up in Ottawa, seeing as they need a mlb after the Price trade.

On a side note, I found this a bit interesting.

The RedBlacks heard from the agent for receiver Sam Giguere, who’s from Sherbrooke, but Desjardins gave it a quick, “No, thanks.”

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/10/redblacks-sign-fa-receiver?token=99a205f55659cd5033c427346217ce51

We need him. Sign him, Kyle. 

Re: redblacks receivers, it seems like instead of starting five WR3's like they were last year, they're now starting a bunch of WR2's. Definitely an upgrade, but unless someone takes a step forward there's no clearcut #1 in there.

Ellingson, Jackson and Marcus Henry are all number three's in my opinion, while Price is a solid two but is always hurt.