Free agency news

BigBlue

Penton reports that it's down to Ottawa, Edmonton, Riders and the Bombers for Curran bidding is up to $150,000

I thought Hervey announced a few days ago that Curran wouldn't be back in Edmonton. 

He also said he wasn't going to sign anybody, then signed Wallace Miles an hour later.

Anyone hearing if we are even close in the Curran sweepstakes?

Kind of indicates that Desjardins is getting smarter with his spending and wants to put out the minimum needed to acquire Curran.  Still I don't have much optimism that Walters will outspend that maniac at the poker table.  Walters got Bryant but it looks like Desjardin preferred Rogers and didn't bid on Bryant or at least realized he wasn't going to be able to afford both.

I'd take Toston for camp competition. Always blew my mind that Saskatchewan never gave him a better look, only knock on him is that he can't catch the ball worth ****. But as a big back to chew up tough yards, I'd take him. Certainly don't want him in there as our starting RB but with the Canadian depth we've developed on defense, we may not need 3 designated imports on defense this year, leaving a spot for Stoudermire (I guess technically he's on defense) and an offensive guy.

I dislike the idea of bringing in an American running back on a second contract.

Why?  Lots of American RB's that come up here on their first CFL contract aren't making anywhere near league minimum.  Chad Simpson for example.  Brought him in from the States and he was making well above league minimum.  Sure, some RBs that arrive might be making league minimum or close to it, but I wouldn't just assume that a guy like Toston (who wouldn't be coming in as a starter), will be making a whole boat load of cash or really any more than Joe NFL-Cut.  Every contract is different.

I dislike the idea of bringing in an American running back on a second contract.

Why?  Lots of American RB's that come up here on their first CFL contract aren't making anywhere near league minimum.  Chad Simpson for example.  Brought him in from the States and he was making well above league minimum.  Sure, some RBs that arrive might be making league minimum or close to it, but I wouldn't just assume that a guy like Toston (who wouldn't be coming in as a starter), will be making a whole boat load of cash or really any more than Joe NFL-Cut.  Every contract is different.

It's not about the money, it's about the fact that we should be able to recruit a decent running back and not pick up a retread like Toston who's proven that he isn't a starter.

Toston wowed me the same way Cotton wowed me in pre-season. I never understood why Toston didn't get more of a chance. He was more of a north/south bruiser but I thought he was the Riders best RB. Toston and Cotton would be a good combo and change of pace that could really help us and keep defences guessing.