Free agency news

BigBlue

I dislike the idea of bringing in an American running back on a second contract.

Why?  Lots of American RB's that come up here on their first CFL contract aren't making anywhere near league minimum.  Chad Simpson for example.  Brought him in from the States and he was making well above league minimum.  Sure, some RBs that arrive might be making league minimum or close to it, but I wouldn't just assume that a guy like Toston (who wouldn't be coming in as a starter), will be making a whole boat load of cash or really any more than Joe NFL-Cut.  Every contract is different.

It's not about the money, it's about the fact that we should be able to recruit a decent running back and not pick up a retread like Toston who's proven that he isn't a starter.

He's never proven that he isn't a starter.  He has had 6 carries in the CFL for God's sake.  Someone spends too much time over at Riderfans.

I dislike the idea of bringing in an American running back on a second contract.

Why?  Lots of American RB's that come up here on their first CFL contract aren't making anywhere near league minimum.  Chad Simpson for example.  Brought him in from the States and he was making well above league minimum.  Sure, some RBs that arrive might be making league minimum or close to it, but I wouldn't just assume that a guy like Toston (who wouldn't be coming in as a starter), will be making a whole boat load of cash or really any more than Joe NFL-Cut.  Every contract is different.

It's not about the money, it's about the fact that we should be able to recruit a decent running back and not pick up a retread like Toston who's proven that he isn't a starter.

Toston didn't get much of a chance to prove anything last year in Chamblins' "shuffle and bench" RB system.  The few times that I saw him play indicated that he was elusive, had good power and was hard to bring down.  In such a small sample size better to look at his game film from previous performances which I'm sure Walters has done. 

Here are some NFL highlights.

College.

He made a brief stop in Toronto before coming here.

Never played a game for them, but SK traded him to Toronto, then Toronto immediately traded him here.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

It is on his Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Glenn#Toronto_Argonauts

We were in the West at the time and SK wanted to keep him out of the division so shipped him out East, then Toronto flipped him back to us. Can't remember what Toronto gave up and got, but think they made out pretty good in that flip.