Willy injured at practice

Mr. Perfect

Next year Brohm will be his in third year in the league I think he is more than capable back up.

So was Goltz.

Division 3, versus division 1, 2nd round NFL draft pick. Hell, even on TSN last year they were saying there were reports from Bomber camp that Goltz was STILL reading defences at a division 3 level. Apples and oranges.

2nd round draft pick who lost his job to a 7th rounder. You have to be outstandingly bad for that to happen in the NFL.

Or the infallible scouting system of the NFL had a brain cramp.

Next year Brohm will be his in third year in the league I think he is more than capable back up.

So was Goltz.

Division 3, versus division 1, 2nd round NFL draft pick. Hell, even on TSN last year they were saying there were reports from Bomber camp that Goltz was STILL reading defences at a division 3 level. Apples and oranges.

2nd round draft pick who lost his job to a 7th rounder. You have to be outstandingly bad for that to happen in the NFL.

Or the infallible scouting system of the NFL had a brain cramp.

Hey, who would've thought Tom Brady would have the career he's had? 

So was Goltz.

These things happen if there's a late bloomer coming out of college, scouting systems aren't perfect. If memory serves, a first overall lost his starting job to a sixth rounder in New England a few years back

Edit: I should've typed faster, iso beat me to the Tom Brady example

Here's O'Shea's take on Willy's injury from the FreeP.

Asked if witnessing his starting QB go down led to an ‘Oh crap…’ moment, O’Shea said:

"I wish I was that polite. It’s practice. Things happen in practice. I’m glad he’s feeling better or will be fine. But, yeah, there’s a moment there where you assess the situation and I’m trying to run through my head what we would normally do because I don’t normally differentiate between quarterbacks and anybody else… but I realize now I probably have to.

"There was a part of me that said, ‘Move the drill (keep going from a different spot away from the injured player) because that’s what you do as a defensive guy. I’ve heard that so many times. And then you realize, ‘Hey, that’s your starting quarterback.’

"I wandered over. I took a look. The finger was still attached, so…"

Asked if witnessing his starting QB go down led to an ‘Oh crap…’ moment, O’Shea said:

"I wish I was that polite. It’s practice. Things happen in practice. I’m glad he’s feeling better or will be fine. But, yeah, there’s a moment there where you assess the situation and I’m trying to run through my head what we would normally do because I don’t normally differentiate between quarterbacks and anybody else… but I realize now I probably have to.

"There was a part of me that said, ‘Move the drill (keep going from a different spot away from the injured player) because that’s what you do as a defensive guy. I’ve heard that so many times. And then you realize, ‘Hey, that’s your starting quarterback.’

In other words MOS has to stop thinking like a defensive coach & make sure his qb is protected at all time. Every team I've been with & the pro practices I have seen let the qb throw the football & never lay a hand on the guy or come close enough to touch him. Even if the qb is "sacked" on a play when they scrimmage. In other words, when it's obvious protection broke down & in a game the qb would have been sacked he still throws the pass & finishes the play. I know defensive coaches & players have a different perspective on the game from their offensive counterparts & have their motors running all the time but they can't hurt their qb in practice. Part of the process of learning on the job for MOS.

In other words MOS has to stop thinking like a defensive coach & make sure his qb is protected at all time. Every team I've been with & the pro practices I have seen let the qb throw the football & never lay a hand on the guy or come close enough to touch him. Even if the qb is "sacked" on a play when they scrimmage. In other words, when it's obvious protection broke down & in a game the qb would have been sacked he still throws the pass & finishes the play. I know defensive coaches & players have a different perspective on the game from their offensive counterparts & have their motors running all the time but they can't hurt their qb in practice. Part of the process of learning on the job for MOS.

From what I understand, Willy hit his hand on a helmet during his follow-through, the defender didn't actually hit him in any way.

So was Goltz.

You clearly don't follow the NFL very closely...

From what I understand, Willy hit his hand on a helmet during his follow-through, the defender didn't actually hit him in any way.

Unamba got too close. Never should have happened. 

I love that line. I'm really beginning to like this guy.

Guys are expected to play at full speed during practice. Willy's follow through would probably extend his arm a couple of feet in front of him.  If whomever it was that was trying to block Unamba couldn't hold him up, Unamba's momentum could have easily carried him into that radius.  It's not about playing "too close".  It was a freak accident.  

If we want to make sure the QB is protected at all times from everything during practice, he needs to be playing in a bubble. Which would make it very hard to throw the ball to anyone. 

A guy like Unamba is desperate to stay on the roster, so he's going 100% all the time...and the LAST thing he wants is to be the guy who took out the team's meal ticket. If there's anyone on the roster who's worried about doing the right thing all the time, it's Unamba. No question it was a total fluke...could happen any time.

Guys are expected to play at full speed during practice. Willy's follow through would probably extend his arm a couple of feet in front of him.  If whomever it was that was trying to block Unamba couldn't hold him up, Unamba's momentum could have easily carried him into that radius.  It's not about playing "too close".  It was a freak accident.  

If we want to make sure the QB is protected at all times from everything during practice, he needs to be playing in a bubble. Which would make it very hard to throw the ball to anyone. 

Noeller, they don't play at full speed in practice. Defensive players especially are told to stay away from the qb & let him finish his throws. They don't hit at full speed. Usually half speed or what's called thud. Guys don't tackle hard, they wrap. Not to say that there isn't any hitting out there but it's controlled to prevent injuries. Team time or scrimmage is the time to work on timing & refining the plays offensively against the defense simulating the opposition defense they'll be facing in their next game. Qbs wear the red jersey which means STOP!! If you want to shorten your career as a defensive player just go hurt your qb with a big hit & watch the head coach give you an airline ticket out of town on the first flight. 

On 1290 radio this afternoon, Sean Churchill said that Willy is virtually 100% and so should be totally ready to go.

There is absolutely no way Churchill could know that, other than what the coach has told him. Willy's dinged, but he'll play....

I dunno, i think Churchill is one of those guys that might know more than the others. Not sure why but when Churchill says something, it does tend to be truthful. 

Honestly, I'll take Churchills opinion over some of the other guys, I like bauming, i like Penton but at times, they tend to go a bit overboard on guys getting injured, He's not on the field they say, must be injured, then a day later you find out the guy went home to be there for the birth of his daughter.

I think Churchill is more in the know than people realize. 

Honestly, I understand they are media but... why keep playing up the injury thing? What's the point, I'd rather go the Churchill route and say he's pretty much healthy and will be fine rather than beating a tiny injury to death, Penton called Vega a healthy scratch, Not exactly healthy. 

Penton,Bauming, they are print and radio media really, Churchill is the sports director at CTV, he has really no need to over exaggerate, The other guys? to an extent, they do, gives them talking points for their columns or radio shows. 

Say what you will about Churchill but he seems to be well respected, Who got the first real interview with Wade Miller last season? Wasn't penton, Wasn't bauming, it was Churchill and CTV. 

Glad to hear Willy will be Ok - I think Marve would get the start though if Willy couldn't go. At least, I hope so - no impressed with Brohm at all so far. He reminds me of a (slightly) better Jason Boltus for some reason. 

Based on what?  He out performed Max Hall who was light years better then Boltus so I fail to see your comparison?

I'd assume Brohm would get the start and would do adequate....

Glad to hear Willy will be Ok - I think Marve would get the start though if Willy couldn't go. At least, I hope so - no impressed with Brohm at all so far. He reminds me of a (slightly) better Jason Boltus for some reason. 

I would love to know how you come to that conclusion after two preseason games with minimal number one reps. Unreal.