Bombers Vs Als: Post Game Thread

iso_55

My thoughts on tonite:

I'm miffed about that blown PI call on Edwards.  I hate the inconsistency of the CFL officiating.  I'm also sick of the people saying good teams overcome bad officiating..tell that to Team Canada when they lost against the USA in the olympic semi.    

Simpson's 9 touches for 36 yards isn't going to get him a rushing title.

The offense was brutal save for 3 drives.   Buck made some bad decisions and we desperately needed the offence to do something in the fourth quarter.

Montreal didn't look like the unstoppable juggernaut they have been in the past.   Calvillo was rattled after that first sack and he had two hail mary's that ended up winning the game for them.

That aside, the atmosphere was electric and the stadium is top notch.  Looking forward to 8 more home games in the best stadium in Canada!

And in case I didn't say it enough last time, it's a horrible, horrible feeling when you know you have a chance at the game and you know that your QB is going to let you down. Any other starting QB is playing for us and we win that game. Montreal was taking away the run and there were many, many throwing lanes that Buck straight up missed. It's depressing to me how good this team can be with adequate QBing. On the plus side, that was a better defensive performance than we saw in any game in 2012.

OL was great IMO.  The only way Montreal got pressure was by bringing more than 5.  Too bad our QB can't make a hot read and get rid of the ball.  Montreal's OL was having big trouble, even with most of their offence being quick screens and misdirection.

Hard to blame one guy in this sport, but the difference between winning and losing this game is the QB position.  Brutal turnovers, no drives at all.  The only reason this game was close, and there was a chance for us to win, was the defence.  Not surprisingly, they wore down in the 4th when the offence did nothing.  Exciting game to watch, but tons of room for improvement.

Buck played good for all of about 3 minutes in this game. That period was the only series in the game where he strung together consecutive good throws. Other than that, he threw WAY too many balls to areas where it was up for grabs and he paid for it. It's also becoming painfully obvious that if you're down in the fourth quarter and Buck Pierce is your QB, you will not win. The guy just disappears when it matters.

Dunn was awesome, for as much hassle as I gave him in the preseason.

Simpson needs more touches.

Etienne put a cheesy smile on my face, I love seeing him succeed.

Washington is just such an electric player to watch.

Good pressure on Calvillo but when Buck stepped down, AC stepped up.

Thought Crowton called a decent game. Impossible to say though, considering he's not calling execution, he's calling formations and options. I didn't really have too many "wtf are we doing" moments compared to the amount of "why didn't we make that play" moments.

Oh, and I thought our trenches were pretty awesome tonight. Hope Gilmore isn't out too long, he's ferocious out there.

I know this sounds like a six year old broken record, or saying a car runs great without an engine, but boy I feel like we have a really talented team. We just need good play from our Quarterback, which even a healthy Buck Pierce can't provide.

I disagree with some comments....

Montreal looked awful tonight,  outside of some great pass protection in the 4th quarter... Calvillo looked really off target and rusty.  he had a lot of lame duck passes.  

I think this game boils down to the awful 50 yard TD at the end where both our guys could of and sh ould of made a play on the ball.

Montreal squeaks out a victory despite a huge early lead and 6 turnovers.

Mike -  I think Buck looked great for 3 minute and awful for the rest of the night.  Just plain awful.  Those int's were just brutal for a vet to throw.   He played scared and rattled... but it didn't help that the o-line literally pulled down their pants and bent over in that last quarter.  

Jovon was owned by Bruce....  not looking good for him so far. 

Aside from the return td... special teams looked real good in my opinion. 

Crowton NEEDS to get his receivers to run routes that put them PAST the first down marker......

Etienne has great wheels and was a bright spot as well as Denmark. 

Refs need to be beaten....

Bombers as always find a way to lose a game....  

I just got home from the game.  I took the park and ride.  yesh....

Buck Pierce was missing wide open WRs all game.  And by missing I mean not seeing them and then throwing it to a covered guy.  It was frustrating to watch at times.

I loved the stare down that Simpson did to Hebert during the coin toss. I wish they would have given him the ball on the first play...

I enjoyed watching Etienne make a big play. 

I spent 8 hours at the stadium today.  That's too much.

This comment is obscene. Not only is it mindless speculation but holy Christ it is massive jumping to conclusions. Completely unnecessary.

no doubt.. gilmore was a stud last season and looked very good this game prior to the injury..

It's funny how so often you see a team struggling because the talent surrounding their QB is adequate.

If this team had a QB that was even slightly above average, it could be special. Buck gifts the Als a 7 point lead, finishes the game by handing them the ball again. No drives, just a quick score generated by a huge Demond play and then one big play to Etienne to set up another score. Not going to cut it. What was our longest offensive possession tonight? 4 minutes?

If we're going to rely on playing aggressive with a long field, this offense is going to be atrocious. It literally seems as if Buck has lost almost all the ability to make an intermediate read. His passes were either short, deep or on a bailout. If this is the guy that is supposed to have an offense based on middle of the field quick hitters designed specifically for him then I hope he's just a slow learner.

I'm willing to gave him ONE more chance next week in montreal, if he losses again, it's time to move on from him and go with goltz this early. move him back to #2 or move him upstairs with crowton.

Buck and Jovon is the weakest link of the team tonight.

my stars:

*** Demond Washington, solid on D and ST

**  Desia Dunn, played pretty well in Nickel, not worried to see him again there

*   Jade Etienne, top receiver for the Bombers tonight, he definitely will start next week

It's funny how so often you see a team struggling because the talent surrounding their QB is adequate.

If this team had a QB that was even slightly above average, it could be special. Buck gifts the Als a 7 point lead, finishes the game by handing them the ball again. No drives, just a quick score generated by a huge Demond play and then one big play to Etienne to set up another score. Not going to cut it. What was our longest offensive possession tonight? 4 minutes?

If we're going to rely on playing aggressive with a long field, this offense is going to be atrocious. It literally seems as if Buck has lost almost all the ability to make an intermediate read. His passes were either short, deep or on a bailout. If this is the guy that is supposed to have an offense based on middle of the field quick hitters designed specifically for him then I hope he's just a slow learner.

Lets just not talk about how this team could be awesome if Elliott had at least been given a chance at TC...  its really too much to take.

Buck is terrible, even the fanboys know this deep down.  Hall ends up as our only option... until then, its a lot of 3-7 point losses.  Maybe even after that too...

I'm willing to gave him ONE more chance next week in montreal, if he losses again, it's time to move on from him and go with goltz this early. move him back to #2 or move him upstairs with crowton.

Buck and Jovon is the weakest link of the team tonight.

my stars:

*** Demond Washington, solid on D and ST

**  Desia Dunn, played pretty well in Nickel, not worried to see him again there

*   Jade Etienne, top receiver for the Bombers tonight, he definitely will start next week

I agree to an extent... but I would add unsung stars as:

1 - Suber

2 - Watson

3 - Henoc

Not a lot of flash, but the things they were doing allowed your three stars to get noticed.  Muamba and Suber both had nice nights - everyone had breakdowns...  Watson was open all the time and just didnt get his number called - I worry that he is off the radar...

JJ remains the same and needs to go. No run game at all. They go vanilla in the 4th and play not to lose and gee what happens.

On chat said the same thing. Crowton's play selection in the second half suuuuuuucked. He played not to lose alright & look what happened. And how many times on second & long did we throw to a receiver who cut his route off 3-5 yards before the first down marker??? And yup that was the receiver Buck always picked to throw to.