Bombers Vs Als: Post Game Thread

iso_55

Elliot was given a chance at training camp... BC's. He's 3rd string for them.

hmm but is that because he's really the 3rd best or because Lulay is young and doesn't get hurt much so the Lions want a younger project taking 2nd string reps so they have a future plan for after Lulay? Where Elliott actually stands with the Lions will only be seen if something happens to Lulay this year. To me he's there as insurance in case their project guy isn't able to step in should they need to turn to #2

hmm but is that because he's really the 3rd best or because Lulay is young and doesn't get hurt much so the Lions want a younger project taking 2nd string reps so they have a future plan for after Lulay? Where Elliott actually stands with the Lions will only be seen if something happens to Lulay this year. To me he's there as insurance in case their project guy isn't able to step in should they need to turn to #2

yeah that's right.  But that being said, he's also there because he's not expected to play a down all year.

Lots of positives from last nights game.

Like others, Buck's performance frustrated the hell out of me. IMO, there was nothing that Buck did, that I felt Goltz couldn't do better.

I've been one of the Etienne supporters, so it's nice to see him have a good game.

I had some big concerns about Dunn prior to Kickoff, not so many now.

Thought the defense played well considering the three first half turn overs by the offense. The thing that really kills me is Bruce pushed off of Johnson yet they call it on Johnson.. a 50 yard play while the game is on the line. If you're not going to call it against Bruce then don't call it at all.. Then to miss the PI on Edwards.. Tough way to lose the game. I thought the defense played good. I mean SJ Green got his catches but he made the tough catches, nothing was ever easy. Buck played well at times, absolutely terrible at others. It's disappointing that with all the misfortune Winnipeg had all night they still had a good chance to win the game. Oh well.. 17 games to go.

The thing is, and I expect to see this tonight on the tape, how many big throws did Pierce make? Nice one to Denmark early but the TD pass, Etienne pass, and a few others were fairly simple throws. Goltz could have made them. Maybe Buck turns it around but that is unlikely and it will cost us. We have so much talent but you can't win without better qb play.

Thought the defense played well considering the three first half turn overs by the offense. The thing that really kills me is Bruce pushed off of Johnson yet they call it on Johnson.. a 50 yard play while the game is on the line. If you're not going to call it against Bruce then don't call it at all.. Then to miss the PI on Edwards.. Tough way to lose the game. I thought the defense played good. I mean SJ Green got his catches but he made the tough catches, nothing was ever easy. Buck played well at times, absolutely terrible at others. It's disappointing that with all the misfortune Winnipeg had all night they still had a good chance to win the game. Oh well.. 17 games to go.

I agree, it was never easy. You didn't see guys wide open or anything.

The team looked pretty good,  That is to say the defense was outstanding while I have major issues with the offensive play calling...

Personnel wise I have no issues aside from the obvious huge question mark that rhymes with Muck Fierce.  It does make me chuckle when I see people flipping out when "oh my! someone I haven't heard of is starting for us!"  Meanwhile, that's why Montreal has dominated for about 12 straight years. Joe Schmoe replaced someone I've heard of as a result of them playing in the league before? Surely they'll be horri- oh, wait, Schmoe is dominating the league?  I wish we had him!

Chris Matthews was just some rookie receiver in camp, made the team and was the league's most outstanding rookie.  It's the CFL.  The difference between a Grey Cup and an also ran season is often finding those gems that didn't make the NFL for whatever reason.  Cam Wake and Brandon Browner ring a bell.  Just a couple guys that couldn't hang that are now Pro Bowlers.

The thing is, and I expect to see this tonight on the tape, how many big throws did Pierce make? Nice one to Denmark early but the TD pass, Etienne pass, and a few others were fairly simple throws. Goltz could have made them. Maybe Buck turns it around but that is unlikely and it will cost us. We have so much talent but you can't win without better qb play.

The TD pass to Denmark was a pretty tough throw, gotta be in the right place cause the db was all over Denmark there. The throw to Edwards at the end on 3rd down was a pretty money throw as well, too bad the refs botched that one. I do agree with your main point though. 

Ugh. For some reason I went back and watched the call that wasn't. Worse than it looked live. Now I'm angry again.

Winnable game with too many turnovers and a spotted 14 point lead. Can't expect to win those.

On to the next. Spank them in Montreal, please.

The stadium is spectacular.

He was overthrowing everything.  More of a chucker than a passer last night.  Probably could have used more reps at game speed when you have to fit those throws through tight windows in the pre-season.

wow, lets hope the next DT can bring some heat cause our push was non existant after he was gone.

Yup.  It was no coincidence that Grandpa went from inaccurate happy feet/crapping his Depends/missing easy wide open receivers to the AC of 10 years ago in the 4th quarter when our bull-rush vanished.  I didn't think Gilmore was that effective until I saw how different the Als offence played with him out.

So now what.  Do we get Carroll back again?  Or pick up Huntley?  Or start Lucas with Thomas backing him up and start an extra import at receiver?  Watson can sit down for all I care, or back up Etienne next game, while we get Pierce or Anderson some playing time.

The TD pass to Denmark was a pretty tough throw, gotta be in the right place cause the db was all over Denmark there. The throw to Edwards at the end on 3rd down was a pretty money throw as well, too bad the refs botched that one. I do agree with your main point though. 

I'd even goes as far as giving credit on the deep ball to Denmark.  

Yup. It was no coincidence that Grandpa went from inaccurate happy feet/crapping his Depends/missing easy wide open receivers to the AC of 10 years ago in the 4th quarter when our bull-rush vanished. I didn't think Gilmore was that effective until I saw how different the Als offence played with him out.

So now what. Do we get Carroll back again? Or pick up Huntley? Or start Lucas with Thomas backing him up and start an extra import at receiver? Watson can sit down for all I care, or back up Etienne next game, while we get Pierce or Anderson some playing time.

DT is the kind of position you don't appreciate until it slips. Actually both lines are that way. Those are all interesting options but I belive it will just be Anderson subbing in and the rest status Quo. Hopefully he can play well and if he goes down Lucas being in the game will be better than Thomas was.

DT is the kind of position you don't appreciate until it slips. Actually both lines are that way. Those are all interesting options but I belive it will just be Anderson subbing in and the rest status Quo. Hopefully he can play well and if he goes down Lucas being in the game will be better than Thomas was.

You mean Zach Anderson?  He's a DE not a DT.

I think Anderson is better suited for DT as well and it may be an option considering the lack of options there. I don't love the idea of Lucas being a starter and Thomas may or may not be injured. Even then, as much as I like Thomas he isn't a viable starter at this point in his career. Bringing back Frazier is an option I suppose but my preference is giving Anderson a week or two at the position to see what he's got.

You know I forgot the Denmark pass.  Tight window, good spiral.  I'll give Buck credit for that one, I don't think either of the other two QBs make that throw yet.